Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2004 Rx 300 Jammed Cd Player

Has anybody had the experience of the CD player in the Lexus RX 300 (6 CD in centre of dashboard) jamming up so that you cannot eject the CD’s or play them.

And if so is there anything that can be done about it other than giving Lexus stealership in excess of £300 for a brand new unit.

I must say I am tempted to try taking it out and stripping it down to try and release the CD’s trapped inside, but before I do that has anybody any experience of this problem.

I'm guessing it's the same as 'the dreaded err3' problem that the IS's have

Hopefully this thread may help you out :)

Thanks Janey but I have already tried that and the door on my slot will not let me poke another CD in. Have tried thumping it in various places turning on and of but all to no avail. By the way in the RX (or at least mine) its error 4.

Hi, Malcolm,

Yes I had a jammed CD in my 300, actually it was caused while loading the 6 CDs. I took the unit to my local car hi-fi shop in Worcester. He opened the unit, just a few screws, took out the offending disc, put it back together and everything worked fine. Total bill £45. If you are handy with socket sets it is not that difficult to take the entire audio system out from the dashboard. Everything is on simple multi socket connectors. Good luck.

Hi, Malcolm,

Yes I had a jammed CD in my 300, actually it was caused while loading the 6 CDs. I took the unit to my local car hi-fi shop in Worcester. He opened the unit, just a few screws, took out the offending disc, put it back together and everything worked fine. Total bill £45. If you are handy with socket sets it is not that difficult to take the entire audio system out from the dashboard. Everything is on simple multi socket connectors. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouraging news i cannot try it for a couple of weeks but will take your suggestion up and report on what happens.

• 5 months later...

Hi, Malcolm,

My car is doing the same thing 'error 4, can I ask how you remove the CD player from the dash.

Hi, Malcolm,

My car is doing the same thing 'error 4, can I ask how you remove the CD player from the dash.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62405

TBH there is no need to remove the cover, just give the unit a ******** good shake and refit - stuck CD/CD's should then eject.

Worth noting though that simply removing the stuck CD is not a cure - it will happen again... sadly!.

'Error code 4' according to Lex refers to a 'Faulty CD carriage' and requires a modification costing circa £450 if you use the Lexus authorised repairer (Autosounds) although I've been quoted around £2-250 from a few other repairers - it seems the faulty units need some replacement clips fitting to the mechanism.

I'm having similar problems with my RX unit and am considering replacing the whole thing with an aftermarket unit as I've found a conversion panel which allows you to junk the comedy OE unit, as yet it's only available in the States but even with the cost of shipping you could still get a decent aftermarket system instead of repairing the standard unit which isn't that good even on the odd occasion it does decide to perform.

See... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lexus-RX-RX350-RX330-Double-Din-Dash-Radio-Install-Kit-/380204298961?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5885f132d1

Lexus RX, Great car - crap stereo!..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links