Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just brought an IS250 second hand and the front tyres have different tread patterns. One has the diagonal trad and the other just the "straight" tread lines (not sure of the correct terminology!).

The garage said that was fine and that is how it passed it's MOT but the handbook says all tyres should have the same pattern.

Do you know if this is an issue I need to address?

By the way, driving it today in the rain, going not very fast I promise, the car felt all over the place - very unstable and gave me no confidence whatsoever, unlike the IS220d I traded in which was very sure footed. I'm beginning to wonder if I have made a mistake...!

Hi Mick, well i have Toyos' on the front and the origional Bridgestones on the rear and the tread patterns are different. Also you could have a spare ( not on an IS250 i know) which is a totaly differnt make. In the wet roads that are good in the dry can get greasy and difficult in the wet. Check the pressures and depth of tread first.

i had 2 new ones put on by kwick fit, the front ones were bridgestone potenzas and the new ones they fitted on the rear were bridgestone turenzas, i only noticed weeks later when i washed the car. i called into kwick fit and told them and they said it wasnt a problem having two tyre types as they were both bridgestones, i e-mailed bridgestone to confirm this and was told that is was dangerous to mix tyres even there own brands. they kindly did me a report stating this and later contacted kwick fit to advise them on mixing tyres and the safety issues.

kwick fit got in touch and changed the tyres to all matching.

It can be quiet dangerous having two different tread patterns on the same axle, not so bad if they're different front to back or vise versa. It wouldn't pass a MOT here but then I guess that all comes down who's checking. Some guys can be pretty slack.

I'd make an issue of it & get them to put two tyres the same on as they've sold it to you in an unsafe state that isn't up to MOT standards.

i had 2 new ones put on by kwick fit, the front ones were bridgestone potenzas and the new ones they fitted on the rear were bridgestone turenzas, i only noticed weeks later when i washed the car. i called into kwick fit and told them and they said it wasnt a problem having two tyre types as they were both bridgestones, i e-mailed bridgestone to confirm this and was told that is was dangerous to mix tyres even there own brands. they kindly did me a report stating this and later contacted kwick fit to advise them on mixing tyres and the safety issues.

kwick fit got in touch and changed the tyres to all matching.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will get them changed to match.