Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Depends on how much motorway and town driving you do... and your style of driving.

If you do mostly motorway mileage at sensible speeds it should be close to 40 MPG.

Depends on how much motorway and town driving you do... and your style of driving.

If you do mostly motorway mileage at sensible speeds it should be close to 40 MPG.

Drive gently and mix of motorway and town. Thought it should be nearer 45-50 mpg???

I agree, I have had mine two years now and my AVG is 40.8 mpg all told. The winter months do hurt it a little

Had EGR replaced. Getting 36.5 MPG combined.. is this OK??

Col :blink:

At most I get ~38 on the motorway, 31-33 combined.

It is the sport so not sure how the gear ratio affects it but at 60K my next job is to sort out the EGR Valve. Was yours done in warranty? If not, what did you pay if you dont mind me asking.

Mine is out of warranty so options are to clean, replace myself or nip into local garage.

My dad has a 03 plate A4 1.9tdi Sport and that manages 50mpg (mix of motorway and town driving). I think Toyota/Lexus should stick to producing smooth petrol engines/hybrid engines and leave the diesel engines to VAG and PSA- they make the best diesel engines IMHO.

Thats more like what i found last year!!!!

I had a loan 220d while my 250 was in for warrenty and engine problem.I got I think 32mpg average (myIS250 29MPG)for th 3 weeks i had it.It had about 5000 on the clock .I think people here are in dreamland and maybe ressetting the system when they are in favourable conditions .I just drove it normally in and out of town s mine would be probably as bad as it gets .

My dad has a 03 plate A4 1.9tdi Sport and that manages 50mpg (mix of motorway and town driving). I think Toyota/Lexus should stick to producing smooth petrol engines/hybrid engines and leave the diesel engines to VAG and PSA- they make the best diesel engines IMHO.

I think there are two main reasons, the Lexus is a significantly heavier car (around 200 Kg heavier) and it is considerably more powerful than the A4 1.9. But I do agree the Germans make the best diesels (although Honda's diesel is supposed to be quite good as well).

As for mpg, in my Sport version I have never managed to hit 40 mpg, always around 35 combined and 30 or less around town. Lower 40s is the maximum people should expect from the 220d. This is for the pre 2009 facelift engine (I don't know about the new one).

It is the sport so not sure how the gear ratio affects it but at 60K my next job is to sort out the EGR Valve. Was yours done in warranty? If not, what did you pay if you dont mind me asking.

Mine is out of warranty so options are to clean, replace myself or nip into local garage.

Mine was replaced under warranty so no idea of cost mate... sorry..

Col

I think there are two main reasons, the Lexus is a significantly heavier car (around 200 Kg heavier) and it is considerably more powerful than the A4 1.9. But I do agree the Germans make the best diesels (although Honda's diesel is supposed to be quite good as well).

As for mpg, in my Sport version I have never managed to hit 40 mpg, always around 35 combined and 30 or less around town. Lower 40s is the maximum people should expect from the 220d. This is for the pre 2009 facelift engine (I don't know about the new one).

I had a 59 plate loaner for 3000 miles, mostly sensible motorway, still no better than 37-38mpg

My 57 plate 220d averaged 35-36 overall. But I care not anymore, it's gone and my VW is averaging 48mpg regardless of how or where I drive it over the 3000 miles I've done in the last three weeks!

Car has just had its 60K service at Lexus. Asked them to check the EGR valve but their records show it had a new one last June so they havent bothered. Dont think it covered many miles from then either! Guess I may have another problem or feature. iirc I did a reset with CC set at 70mph in 6th gear and struggled to get above 40MPG.

Car has just had its 60K service at Lexus. Asked them to check the EGR valve but their records show it had a new one last June so they havent bothered. Dont think it covered many miles from then either! Guess I may have another problem or feature. iirc I did a reset with CC set at 70mph in 6th gear and struggled to get above 40MPG.

Wow, I haven't been on here for nearly 2 years and still the same threads on MPG.

The IS220 will never achieve the figure the Germans easily get so if thats the reason for purchase then don't. However if you want something that is well speced and not one of the herd then the IS is just up your street (but go for the auto petrol!!)

Still getting a little over 33mpg from the loaner. That's town queueing with a short burst of dual-carriageway in the middle. It looks more like 40-odd on the open road.

Well i have changed a A6 tdi for my is220 and i am shocked on how crap these cars are , i have had it for 3 weeks and i am selling

I have only ever owned petrol cars and thet all gave my expected MPG figures calculated from the urban cycle + 10% for city/town driving. Judging by what I have read on this forum and tests of other diesel and hybrid cars (like Top Gear), this simple calculation does not work and you can expect a lot worse. If I was going for a non-petrol I would only listen to real test figures and forget the rest.

As Harrydavy has said, this thread will just keep running because the Lexus Diesel will disappoint on mpg compared to Audi/VW, Honda, etc. It does have other qualities, but the biggest problem it raises for me is that there is so much variability, which Lexus UK will not address.

My 09MY is a self purchased replacement for a 56 plate leased model. As a result, I was aware I would not get the claimed mpg from the car. Old one did 36-38 average with up to 48 on long motorway run.

The expectation was that the advertising blurb for 'retuned' model was correct and I could expect an improvement of over 10%. Well I have for motorway runs (bettered 50 on one run) but I don't do enough of those. Urban use is the killer and I reckon the official urban figure should be nearer 30 than 39.8. As a result, average still remains about 38 but with 13000 on clock now, my last 2 tanks have improved slightly. I will continue to track.

When I raised the average with my dealer at 10k service, his attitude was that 38 average is good! Hence, not interested in doing anything.

I was wondering what the "Range" on the computer indicate how long you can drive when the tank is filled up? I have a Toyota and it never indicate more than 620 km (385 miles) even when it says 50 mpg average consumption.

Isn't it adaptive? If it uses average 50 mpg the range will indicate around 700 miles to go on one tank?

I was wondering what the "Range" on the computer indicate how long you can drive when the tank is filled up? I have a Toyota and it never indicate more than 620 km (385 miles) even when it says 50 mpg average consumption.

Isn't it adaptive? If it uses average 50 mpg the range will indicate around 700 miles to go on one tank?

My tank average is normally ~33 combined (motorway and round town) and when I fill up it generally says around 380 range. I have reset my trip counter the last two fills and get ~420 - 440.

Iirc it took around 54 litres so about 11.8 gallon which means on 420 which is ~35mpg - assuming my calcs are correct :-)

My tank average is normally ~33 combined (motorway and round town) and when I fill up it generally says around 380 range. I have reset my trip counter the last two fills and get ~420 - 440.

Iirc it took around 54 litres so about 11.8 gallon which means on 420 which is ~35mpg - assuming my calcs are correct :-)

Checked mine today, 612 km range (380 miles) after filling up the tank. Other cars like the Mondeo goes up to 1000-1100 km range after filling up if the average consumption is about 6,0 l/km. Good to know, thanks.

If I remember what the manual says correctly, the 'range' is recalculated frequently to reflect the consumption being achieved over most recent driving. However, in reality it is a bit of a mystery that I have not yet fathomed out and just accept it as an approximate guide for when I need to fill up. The real 'guide' for fuel consumption is that shown by the tank and trip average.

I can well believe that Mondeo man (and VW/Audi man and Honda man and ...) sees a range of > 1000km on the computer and achieves somewhere close to it.

My 2006 220d has just had its engine rebuilt, new short block, and various other bits. Result is that for the fist time since I had it, from new, I am now achieving decent figures. Driving in London traffic, constant stop start, it now does 35mpg, on a long motorway run, cruise control on, set at 80mph, it averages out at 43. However, whilst on the M4, running through the 50mph sections, I reset the AVG, set cruise on at 53mph (I know it was that coz I have a roadangel) flat road over a 3 mile stretch, it said 62mpg. Tank refill and calculated gave a tank distance of 570 miles.

Whatever they did when they rebuilt it, Lexus should have done from the beginning, it's also a lot quieter now than it was when new.

Give thanks to a decent dealer!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links