Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sc430 Passenger Seat Position

kiri

My newly-acquired 2005 SC430 is a wonderful car for me but my husband had problems fitting in the passenger seat.

The seat will not move back enough for him but the driver seat does.

Both seats move through the same distance but the passenger seat stops 5" from the rear seat while the driver seat will just touch the rear seat.

We've asked the Lexus branch we got it from if this is normal and they are not sure. I looked at a friend's SC430 a year newer and both seats adjust the same amount from the same start position.

If there is a problem here has anyone got a solution.

If I don't get it fixed he'll always want to drive!

Just checked my 05 and the passenger seat goes right back even squashing the rear seat. Interestingly if it is reclined it auto reclines up as it almost hits the rear seat. There is a US bulletin on seat position if the Battery is disconnected:

PG005-03 INITIALIZATION OF FRONT SEAT POSITION AND SEATBACK ANGLE (REVISED)

8/19/2005 - 2004, 2005, 2006 Lexus SC430. This bulletin explains the initialization procedure for the front seat position and the seatback angle on 2004 –2006 model year SC 430 vehicles.

To reduce parasitic current draw from the Battery during transport and storage, the D/C CUT fuse (15A) has been removed at the assembly plant. As a result of the removal of the D/C CUT fuse, the following will be inoperative:

Automatic seat adjustment.

Driving position memory of the front seat.

It is necessary to initialize the front seat position and the seatback angle after the D/C CUT fuse has been installed during Pre–Delivery Service (PDS) or whenever the Battery terminal has been disconnected and reconnected.

File is associated with other vehicles. Product General Information 2004 Lexus SC430 2006 Lexus SC430

08-19-2005

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for that.

The Battery was disconnected a while ago and the memory and seat position needed to be reset. Unfortunately when the seat was adjusted backwards (and the seatback backwards) until the beeps it was still 5" from the back seat. It may or may not have been possible before that to adjust the seat further back but there's no way of knowing.

Do you know if this is another initialisation technique, different from the reset which is described in the owners manual?

Thats the limit of my knowledge on this i'm afraid. Can't find a copy of this TSB on the net.

Just to clarify you are using the fore / aft switch on the side of the seat when going fully back. Not the memory buttons!

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul.

I appreciate your helpful comments as I'd not heard of the service bulletins before. I've searched for them but with little success but the references I found makes me think there is only one procedure for resetting the seat memories and getting them to store settings. There are procedures for other Lexus models on the Web and they are similar (apart from the differences in control knobs) to those in the SC Owners Manual.

My husband's now itching to remove the seat and find out how it works, as from you and one other owner he's now heard of 2 cars with matching driver/passenger seat positioning and he thinks it's a physical setup that's wrong!

• 4 months later...

Hi Paul.

I appreciate your helpful comments as I'd not heard of the service bulletins before. I've searched for them but with little success but the references I found makes me think there is only one procedure for resetting the seat memories and getting them to store settings. There are procedures for other Lexus models on the Web and they are similar (apart from the differences in control knobs) to those in the SC Owners Manual.

My husband's now itching to remove the seat and find out how it works, as from you and one other owner he's now heard of 2 cars with matching driver/passenger seat positioning and he thinks it's a physical setup that's wrong!

UPDATE.

The car's just back from the local Lexus dealer with the passenge seat operating properly. They removed the seat, dismantled the mechanism and found a silver teaspoon jammed inside it. Now we have to see if the Lexus dealer who sold us the car is willing to pay for the 2 1/2 hours work involved!