Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Going To Look At This Later...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt of bought a manual one,to me the lex is well suited to the autobox ! the gearing is perfect for ordinary in traffic and legal speed motorway driving with an almost imperceptible gear change-it makes an excellent relaxing car for loafing around in- i hear the manual ones can either have a lovely smooth gearchange or can be somewhat knotchy on gearchange depending on the car-apparently the gearing is rather suited to having to work the engine hard to make normal progress .

good luck with looking

Well I went and looked at it, and it was in fairly decent condition.

Needed the wheels refurbed, a few light scratches which will polish out although I didnt take it for a test drive due to the fact the car didnt have any service history at all!!!

He said its got to go and he would knock £500 off the price, but I was more after a grand knocked off. £300 for the cam belt, £150 for a decent service and £200 for a wheel refurb!

He didnt go for it, but I left him with my number and said if you change your mind then I'l be interested...

Back to the Autotrader in my search!!!

He phoned up this morning saying he will take 4k for it!

Would you be tempted or think I should stay well clear?

Going to go take it for a test drive anyways to see how it drives, and im not overly bothered about resale as im planning on keeping it for a few years whilst the little un' grows up!

When I come to sell it on, it will prob be worth peanuts anyways so thats not such an issue!

6 disc in-dash changer was standard.

I'd rather buy a car with some history- the one you are looking at doesn't have any you say?

If you are considering it do an HPI check and see what it comes back with. Also contact your local Lexus dealer with the registration number and tell them you are thinking of buying it have then any history. Thirdly you can get previous MOT mileages from the internet with reg. no. and MOT cert. no. or V% reference ( I think that's all you need ). Also look at the panels passenger front door looks a different colour, any others?

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECH...ory-Request.jsp

Also another thing, should the car have a 6 disk changer as standard? Or was it an extra option?

Pleased don't do it. No service history, why not? HPI is a must but I wouldn't bother even doing this without some service records. For the same money go for a car with history. Unless the car is really cheap, no even then, I would still walk away. I don't like cars not having any service records, alarm bells ring. Could you check with Lexus to see if any records exist?

If you're interested in the car, do everything as Steve said above as that's really good advice.

HPI is an absolute must, and if it's been Lexus maintained, you should be able to trace the history easily.

However it does seem a little overpriced - I have an 02 plate myself and I'm either underestimating its value or mine is worth more than I think it is.

At £4000 and with 75,000 miles it seems a real good price!

Maybe if I spent £500 on a good service, waterpump and cambelt thats a sorted car for £4,500...

I set my budget at 5k, and prefferably wanted one under 100k. Without traveling to far im struggling to find a well specced one under 100k!

lexus main dealer charge around £1200 for cambelt,waterpump and 60,000 mile service,unless you haggle or live near me !

then your gonna want your geo set £90

all parts are expensive-seriously wait for one with service history

This one also has no service history :(

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...c&logcode=p

Seems like its bit of a trend when it comes to traders!

I don't understand how cars, especially a Lexus can have no service history. Not having a service done invalidates warranty so there must be 3 years of servicing at least. I'm thinking though that when the dealer buy these cars at auction the service books may get lost. A chat to Lexus might help with a cars history. Why don't the dealers selling these cars chase the history information, this would help to sell.

Have you tried the wanted section on the Piston Head site, might be worth a try?

if only you could wait 3 months, mines gonna be up for sale

86,000 Full lexus Service history, 12 months MOT, 2001 Y plate Sport - manual

cambelt + tensioner done at lexus coventry, new discs all round last year

Yeah it is surprising that obviously people are happy to buy cars like this without SH that the traders don't bother checking for it.........

Yeah i wouldn't touch one - regardless of price.

I looked at one in Manchester a couple of years ago, did a HPI after test drive and found out it was a CAT D, so make sure you get a HPI done.

Just back from seeing the car again, and it drives lovely!

After flicking through the warrenty book I noticed the last couple of pages were the service section... I assumed it would have a seperate Service book like my old car which LED me to believe it didnt have any history! The last service was a couple of years ago, and it has stamps up to 58,000. After that the boxes were empty so im LED to guess the last owner either a) didnt get it serviced or B) done the work themselves as the dates match up.

The hpi is clear, and after bringing up the old mots on the comp the records were showing the car has only had 5 advisories of which 4 of them were tyres worn on the inside edge! The other one was in 2007 which was a slight judder in o/s rear disk.

Everything works, and all the panels are the same colour. The n/s front wing has been sprayed near the headlight, but their doesnt sound as if theirs any filler in there and nothing under the bonnet or wheel arch appears to be bent!

Overall im seriously temped, but may try knocking another couple of hundred quid off for a wheel refurb as the laquer has peeled on all 4!

The only other thing is there was again a slight judder when you initially applied the brakes, but it was only for a split second when you push the brake pedal. Anyone able to shed any light on this or does it sound pretty normal? It may of been in my head as I was looking out for any slight fault?

The only other thing is there was again a slight judder when you initially applied the brakes, but it was only for a split second when you push the brake pedal. Anyone able to shed any light on this or does it sound pretty normal? It may of been in my head as I was looking out for any slight fault?

juddering could be either sticky caliper (common on Lexus cars) and/or warped discs- ask for these to checked and fixed or more £££ off the asking price.

Just back from seeing the car again, and it drives lovely!

After flicking through the warrenty book I noticed the last couple of pages were the service section... I assumed it would have a seperate Service book like my old car which led me to believe it didnt have any history! The last service was a couple of years ago, and it has stamps up to 58,000. After that the boxes were empty so im led to guess the last owner either a) didnt get it serviced or B) done the work themselves as the dates match up.

The hpi is clear, and after bringing up the old mots on the comp the records were showing the car has only had 5 advisories of which 4 of them were tyres worn on the inside edge! The other one was in 2007 which was a slight judder in o/s rear disk.

Everything works, and all the panels are the same colour. The n/s front wing has been sprayed near the headlight, but their doesnt sound as if theirs any filler in there and nothing under the bonnet or wheel arch appears to be bent!

Overall im seriously temped, but may try knocking another couple of hundred quid off for a wheel refurb as the laquer has peeled on all 4!

At least it has SH! It needs a service and, I'm assuming, the timing belt doing. As another poster said it is costly to change the belts on these. Make this a part of the negotiation! Haggle hard!

Having had a look on the lexus used car site, it does seem I was slightly underestimating the value of these, and that does make £4k quite a good buy - my cambelt service at Lexus cost £700 so factor that in if it needs it, but get to the bottom of the brake judder before you buy as that could be something simple but equally could mean a costly repair.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links