Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cost Of A New Rx450h Se-l

My other half is looking to buy a new RX450h SE-L, and with metallic paint as the only option she wants, the price looks to be around £53K. First thing the salesman said is that she can forget about any sort of discount, but if they're feeling generous they might chuck in free GAP insurance and possibly some sort of deal on servicing for 3 years. Sounded a bit harsh seeing as on-line brokers will do the exact same car for about £3,500 - £3,800 less, and one of the biggest brokers even arranges the deal through your local Lexus dealer!?

What's also a bit worrying is that if you opt to finance the car on a lease-purchase, the Guaranteed Future Value after three years (based on 10,000 miles a year) is just £19.7K... that sounds to me like the car is going to depreciate over £33K in three years, or around 63%. Is that right? The salesman was talking all about Lexus exclusivity and strong prices, but he obviously didn't mention any figures - the ones I got are off the Lexus finance calculator.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely car, but it sounds like the dealer is playing tough plus the car is going to be very expensive to run, all things considered :unsure:

On £53k you should be able to negotiate down £3k+ and the free bits he has offered which aren't worth that much anyway :) Check the figures for the GAP on the internet ( not Lexus ) and the 3 years servicing on Lexus site then go back with the prints from the online brokers.

My other half is looking to buy a new RX450h SE-L, and with metallic paint as the only option she wants, the price looks to be around £53K. First thing the salesman said is that she can forget about any sort of discount, but if they're feeling generous they might chuck in free GAP insurance and possibly some sort of deal on servicing for 3 years. Sounded a bit harsh seeing as on-line brokers will do the exact same car for about £3,500 - £3,800 less, and one of the biggest brokers even arranges the deal through your local Lexus dealer!?

What's also a bit worrying is that if you opt to finance the car on a lease-purchase, the Guaranteed Future Value after three years (based on 10,000 miles a year) is just £19.7K... that sounds to me like the car is going to depreciate over £33K in three years, or around 63%. Is that right? The salesman was talking all about Lexus exclusivity and strong prices, but he obviously didn't mention any figures - the ones I got are off the Lexus finance calculator.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely car, but it sounds like the dealer is playing tough plus the car is going to be very expensive to run, all things considered :unsure:

Hi.

The 450 is a beautiful car, however, it is very expensive compared with the competition. I cannot believe that the salesman is not willing to negotiate on the price especially if the car is discounted elsewhere. For £50k, and a lot less, you have the choice of a new BMW X5, X6, Mercedes M Class with options ticked. Also consider the Range Rover, a year old V8 at around £40k makes a lot of sense and hence the Lexus less so. The Range Rover is probably the best 4x4 in the world and would retain its value better to boot.

I just hope that Lexus price the CH correctly when it is launched. You have quite a nice dilemma though I would go the the Range Rover and change when better deals, a year or so, come out for the Lexus. Have fun!! :D

Just a thought. Would she consider a car a few months old? Autotrader has some RX models listed at around £40k, with negotiation. Save yourselves £13000 on the VAT etc, now this makes more sense!

To me the 450h makes much more sense as a company car rather than a private purchase as you get better return on its lower emissions, on a monthly basis I'm paying a lot less for my 450h than I would be for a X5 or Range Rover.

X5 has just about to go up in price with the new engines/model revision. Its only a couple of grand but a well spec'd X5 is now much closer in price to a 450h and you never get back what you paid for the options. A year old Range Rover would be the old model? I'd have thought that it would continue to depreciate faster than a new model?

The low final payment sounds like Lexus being cautious, just brought a Nissan for the wife and the final payment was about half what current examples of the same age sell at. Having said that I would expect the Lexus to deprecate more than 50% over 3 years, its a big expensive 4x4 with running costs to match.

Yep there are SE-Ls on the approved used site less than a year old for around the £45k mark which doesn't look that good in terms of residual value - but I'd try a few more dealers as that sounds ridiculous for no discount whatsoever.

Many thanks for all the replies.

She does have her heart set on the Lexus, and while she's looked at the X5 and does think it's a very nice car - at 4857mm long (compared to the 4780mm of the Lexus) it won't quite fit in the garage while the Lexus should do, just. Actually, could extend the garage with the money saved on say an X5 3.0d :whistling: The Merc is out as her sister has one, so there's a bit of sibling rivalry :shifty: plus it doesn't seem as comfy as the X5 or Lexus. I did mention Land Rover/Range Rover to her and all I got was a funny look :blink:

I was surprised the dealer won't offer anything off the price, but as you say - time to try another dealer, although they're a bit scarce in the south east (maybe that's what the dealer is relying on). Useful to know that the target should be around what the brokers are offering. Did have a look online for GAP insurance, and can get Return To Invoice or Vehicle Replacement for around £410 for 3 years, which doesn't seem too bad. I'd guess the Lexus own GAP insurance is going to be more than double that.

Sounds like it is going to be a very expensive car to own from new, so maybe a 2nd hand one wouldn't be out of the question. Did a quick search on the Lexus site for 'approved used' and there are a few SE-L's about... trick is it has to be red with a cream interior (women!!) :lol:

If that's the dealers attitude then walk out - go to another dealer.

I bought my GS from a dealer over 250 miles away. I negotiated a cracking discount, took the day off on the 1st March when I collected it and made a day of it.

Me and the Mrs collected the car, went and had a spot of lunch, did a bit of shopping and then enjoyed the luxury drive home!

Now let me think..... It probably cost me 2 tank fulls of fuel (my trade in car going down there and the Lexus coming back). Lets say that cost me £125. I wont say how much I saved all together but it was north of £4,000 !! Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

If their attitude is like you say.... there's ALWAYS another dealer willing to talk.

The Ed

It's strange but think the car manufacturers have got a bit ahead of themselves in the last few months.

Sales have been good due to all the help the car industry have been given with scrappage and from the VAT change, so much so that most dealers are wacking up the APR they are lending at.

Also as they got stung on GFV's over the last year when everything dropped they have decided "In their infinite wisdom" to hammer down all GFV's - this has just hurt them again as it makes the finance package look much worse both actual money spending each month but also the residual makes you think "damn not buying that as depreciation is insane"

Now while the dealer argues this is to ensure you have some deposit for a new car and not negative equity (Which was the problem they had - of course nothing to do with the financiers taking the hit on GFV).

Just been looking at replacing my SLK with a Z4 and the dealer came up with some crazy figures - saying that a £47k car would have GFV after 4.5 years of £11.5k?!

I will be waiting till the scrappage has ended, sales dip again and then they might think hmm wasn't as good as it looked.

Whilst looking around though if you wanted a very very good finance deal found MB are doing the SL with 1.5% APR! You can also buy the car with that value as either flat purchase or the reduced monthly with balloon. Not what you were looking for I know but made it very tempting :)

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/car-prices...nts-fall/247824

"If buyers can't find a dealer that will match the Target Price, What Car? guarantees to put them in touch with one that will."

List for RX450: £43,165 - £57,580

What Car Target: £41,578 - £55,452

They say Target for RX450SE-L is £50,490 so if you can't get it down to that then give them a ring and they will tell you a dealer who will do the car for that!

Oh and blame the new CT200h - they needed to move all their cars up in price to accommodate a new entry level.

Even though it's competing with 1 series etc rather than pricing it in same sort of bracket (As it used to be with Lexus vs MB, BMW etc) it seems to be top end (Same thing as the 250c). Reckon they didn't want to have to drop the Prius price.....

I reckon if you can find one buying a new 400h for £35k would be the best value of the lot (Although even Drivethedeal have dropped the 400h off the list)

If its a Lexus you want then thats what you should by. If the other cars don't quite do it for you - then go get what you want. I think it is a wonderful situation to be in :)

Well, shopped around and got a dealer that was prepared to negotiate. Got offered a good package including freebies as well, so she's done the deal!

Now just the 8 weeks or so of waiting... then I can be ferried around in luxury :D

Being back in a Lexus showroom (not the bunch who stitched me up all those years ago I hasten to add), and driving their cars again after so long has reminded me what nice machines these are B)

Nice one mate, how much did they give you off in the end if you don't mind my asking? Quite a long waiting list then, probably explains why the other dealer was so bullish about discounts.......

It came to about 4% off in the end. Was told that it may arrive as soon as 6 weeks, as there was one of the spec she wanted in the supply line that they were able to reserve. Had it been a factory order they said she'd be looking at 20 weeks potentially :o

It came to about 4% off in the end. Was told that it may arrive as soon as 6 weeks, as there was one of the spec she wanted in the supply line that they were able to reserve. Had it been a factory order they said she'd be looking at 20 weeks potentially :o

That's a decent result, and also on the delivery time!

I just picked up a new RX450h SEi last Friday and paid £2550 under list price which included Rubber mats / Rubber Boot liner and Back Bumper Rubber Protector plus Supaguard so suggest you try another dealer.

Have just run to Birmingham and back averaging 39mpg which bearing in mind nothing has loosened up yet I thought was pretty good although time will tell

MikeCol

Essex

Joined March 2010

24th March 2010

What makes me chuckle is that people paying £50k+ for a vehicle seem quite 'happy' with a £2k discount (that roughly equates to 4%) or 'free' mats and protectors...I mean WTF people? Glad you're willing to hand over your cash as eagerly as you do though - thats how second hand car buyers like me can afford these cars at circa 4 years old :)

I don't want to upset anyone but...... dealers can go way WAY higher on discount than the figures quoted in this thread !!

Its all about supply and demand. The average Lexus dealer will get between 30-45 maximum new RX450h's to sell this year. If a dealer can sell his quota with no discount then that is what they do. Lexus will ony import 8000 new vehicles into the UK in 2010 so a dealer has not a lot of cars to make enough money to keep the doors open and people in jobs.

Feel free to ring every dealer and get the best price you can but the biggest fleet companies in the UK get NO MORE than 2% discount and free metallic paint. Those who have got 2-3k discount have got a great deal.

The flip side is that in two or three years there will be very few used examples for sale so the residual value will be strong.

• 2 weeks later...
Feel free to ring every dealer and get the best price you can but the biggest fleet companies in the UK get NO MORE than 2% discount and free metallic paint. Those who have got 2-3k discount have got a great deal.

Really? Guess one should not look HERE then. If people are genuinely content with a pahtetic 2% saving on a £50K+ car - then I guess they have more money than sense. Deals are to be had, its about looking in the right place and having just a little patience.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links