Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another Car Tax Thread...but A Good One!

Sorry another car tax thread but thought it would be good to start a new since were getting towards the end of month and the financial year.

Received my car tax through today and was expecting £205.00 for 12 months but low and behold £190.00!!!!!!!!! My car is 2000 plate so was registered before the increases!!! But was wondering could my car tax go up before the end of the month with Mr. Browns budget on the 26th March???

Also just wondering what other is200 drivers have recieved for there car tax if yours was registered after 1st March 2001?

If your IS200 is reg'd before 01/03/01 then the tax is based on engine size (over 1549cc)- £190 atm.

If your IS200 is reg'd after 01/03/01 then the tax is based on CO2 output- £215 atm.

If your IS200 is reg'd before 01/03/01 then the tax is based on engine size (over 1549cc)- £190 atm.

If your IS200 is reg'd after 01/03/01 then the tax is based on CO2 output- £215 atm.

Thanks Kam. better get mine paid before mr brown has a change if mind...

A lot of people Band K, and over 225 CO2's, are on the edge of their seats over car tax. The worst case scenario is that Mr Darling will move them all to Bands L or M. Think £425 minimum. The best case is that he will leave it alone at £245 from April.

So are the classes likely to step in line with each other?

So that all IS200's either before or after March 01 will be the same?

No I think that the pre-March 01 cars will be left in their current bands. There is a possibility that all cars registered after March 01 will be brought into the warm embrace of the new tax banding system, at some stage. Let us see if Mr Darling's sense of fairness extends to people who have found themselves running cars which have been deemed gas guzzlers AFTER they have already been bought. Many of these people cannot afford to exchange these cars to "greener" vehicles because of the poor trade-ins.

ye are doing ok with those prices lads.

here in ireland it's 173 for 3 months tax. rip off or what??

hey klexus - i told someone today about the cost of tax in ireland and they said "yeah but they get about 170 euro,s a week on the dole over there" !!! is that correct ?

kenfoxy - you wouldnt like to have a small wager would you on the fairness of whoever comes to power being "fair" in regards to their newfound and as yet not utilised "banding system" ??

i for one would wager five pence or more that by next budget-not this one for electioneering purposes-post 2001 cars are gonna get hit hard to ease the deficit and pay some expenses bills

i dont think so - they passed the laws a few years ago and then didnt tax the cars at "full force"

i think you can gaurentee that the only thing stopping them doing it in the current economic climate is the pending election-then whoever gets in lab or con theyre gonna squeeze every drop of blood out they can - all in the guise of global warming etc - probably be worse to come if the greenies ever got near being a serious party,thankfully that doesnt seem too likely

yeldarb-surely by that logic all this banding nonsense is illegal as it is retrospective to the majority of for example 2001,2002,2003 cars ?

i hope you are right-from where do you draw your information as i cannot find any diffinitive answer that proves or disproves what you or anyone else thinks on this matter ?

hey klexus - i told someone today about the cost of tax in ireland and they said "yeah but they get about 170 euro,s a week on the dole over there" !!! is that correct ?

i think dole is about 200 a week but i think a new law came out where if u are under 20 it's 100 a week.

got my wages to today and and 215 taken out of it in taxes. that'll do one person's dole or two under 20's.

hmmm,im sorry but i remain unconvinced- i read nothing there about court rulings,,,i know this has been debated a lot on here before but i wasnt around on here then-i think any previous conversations are relevant but maybe not current - ie what are the projected ved rates for 2011 and 2012 -

yeldarb i take it you,d gamble 5p that im wrong - shall we have a virtual handshake and readdress the issue in say a years time when hindsight should earn one of us 5p ?

kenfoxy - you wouldnt like to have a small wager would you on the fairness of whoever comes to power being "fair" in regards to their newfound and as yet not utilised "banding system" ??

i for one would wager five pence or more that by next budget-not this one for electioneering purposes-post 2001 cars are gonna get hit hard to ease the deficit and pay some expenses bills

Actually it's closer to €190!

Notwithstanding that, a full year's tax on ANY 2 litre car registered before July 2008, when Richard Turpin made the assessment-change from engine size to CO2 emissions, costs €614 per year, 2.5 litre €935, 3 litre €1293 and over that, €1566. The exceptions are classic, vintage and veteran which are taxed at €48 per annum once they reach 30 years old.

We also have the dreaded Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) which is added to the VAT-inclusive price of the car and can be as high as 35% on top of what you pay for a newie. The other sting is that even to import a used car the VRT has to be paid before the Revenue Commissioners will issue a registration number. Vehicle Registration Tax is a new phrase for excise duty that the EU outlawed in 1993. Oh, and our VAT rate is 21% not 17.5%.

hmmm,im sorry but i remain unconvinced- i read nothing there about court rulings,,,i know this has been debated a lot on here before but i wasnt around on here then-i think any previous conversations are relevant but maybe not current - ie what are the projected ved rates for 2011 and 2012 -

yeldarb i take it you,d gamble 5p that im wrong - shall we have a virtual handshake and readdress the issue in say a years time when hindsight should earn one of us 5p ?

well I ALWAYS GAMBLE. But in 1 years time I will be in sunny Florida, not giving a hoot what goes on in the UK. The green card has been 90% accepted just one or two more bridges to cross then thats it gone.

oh well good luck yeldarb- maybe youll buy a lex over there or take yours maybe-either way im sure youll pop back on here every now and again to let us know how things are in the colonies-good luck with it-its a bit of an extreme way to get away from brown and his cronies but effective enough,hope it all goes well for you

is this true what the papers are saying today ? government have just announced increases in car tax rates today - apparently vehicles in band H are subject to a £65 price rise making them £240 per annum ,, ??? where would that leave people with is200s and 300s i wonder ?

just read this in todays daily mail online under heading HOUSEHOLD BILLS TO RISE so as they say not everything you read is true but i doubt very much if the daily mail would put that in print so clearly as a fact if there were no truth in it - go check for yourselves - i would welcome peoples thoughts on this

This wouldnt surprise me as they are trying to leech us dry while they still have power. Is there anything the EU can do to stop the bunch of clowns that are in government at the moment?