Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Following on from my previous post, after having had the beast for a week or so, i wonder about remote locking.

The car came with two keys, and a third which was broken, but none with remote feature, as a result i cant open the boot from inside the car.

Forgive this as its a question that probrably been asked a thousand time before me, and im new to the ls400, but how much will it cost be to get remote keys, and were do i get em from?

Regards, Phil.

Hope all are well.

Hi all,

Following on from my previous post, after having had the beast for a week or so, i wonder about remote locking.

The car came with two keys, and a third which was broken, but none with remote feature, as a result i cant open the boot from inside the car.

Forgive this as its a question that probrably been asked a thousand time before me, and im new to the ls400, but how much will it cost be to get remote keys, and were do i get em from?

Regards, Phil.

Hope all are well.

Isn't there a boot release catch to the right of the steering wheel?

Malc

Hi all,

Regards, Phil.

Hope all are well.

should be a lever under the stearing wheel that opens the boot and petrol flap is on mine. I have new remotes for mine and it still doesnt work so its bit of a minefield

Hi all,

Regards, Phil.

Hope all are well.

should be a lever under the stearing wheel that opens the boot and petrol flap is on mine. I have new remotes for mine and it still doesnt work so its bit of a minefield

Hold the boot release button down for a few secs it should open then ( its to stop you opening the boot by accident)

Hi all,

Regards, Phil.

Hope all are well.

Hold the boot release button down for a few secs it should open then ( its to stop you opening the boot by accident)

Hallo mate,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Holding the release lever down for a few seconds doesnt seem to work either. In between the boot release switch and the fuel flap switch (which works fine) is what looks like some kind of lock, which doesnt seem to unlock with the keys that i have.

Does this mean that ill have to go cap in hand to lexus, and pass out when they give me the bill??? Lol.

Phil

Hi all,

Regards, Phil.

Hope all are well.

The boot lock wont open if the ignition is on

lexusn1ce - I bought a new key from eBay, which was cut and turns the car on. Like most of the blanks available, it is a later type of immobiliser.

For the LS you need to ensure the unlock button has a triangle, before the pedal dance will work.

Setting off half an hour early, as always, just to enjoy the ride!

Hi all,

Regards, Phil.

Hope all are well.

Hi Phil

I dont think having a remote feature will enable you to open the boot from inside the car. It appears to me that you have 2 seperate issues;

1) You do not have remote central locking

2) You cant open the boot from inside the car

1) You will need to identify which alarm/immobiliser system you have. If you post up the date of 1st reg someone will be able to assist with the identification and you may find that by searching this forum the answer as to where and how much may have already been discussed.

2) As far as I recall these cars were supplied with 2 master keys and 1 valet key. The latter designed not to open the boot or glove box. If you do not have a master key AND the boot lock is engaged (the 1 on the facia below the steering wheel) then you wont be able to open the boot from inside the car irrespective of whether the ignition is on or not.

I wonder if the broken key is a master, if so you might be able to fiddle about with it and get this lock off. Failing that, you could get a locksmith to unlock it or, and I havent seen a post on this, perhaps you can dismantle the lock.

Hallo mate,

Good idea. I fished out the broken third key i have, and althought it isnt a remote key, it did unlock the switch between the fuel flap release and the boot release, and now i can open the boot from inside the car.

My car does appear to have remote locking. There is a sensor on the right hand side of the dash and there is a switch on the left hand side, just under the steering wheel which gives me the ability to turn the remote on or off. Currently its set to off.

How easy is it to get a replacement? My car of choice before this one was always the rover 800 sterling, and if you lost or broke the remote on one of those, getting a replacement was one thing, then getting it to talk to the car was something else.

Will it be the same with my beloved lex?

Also, given that at present i am only locking the car with the key, and not the remote, does it mean that the alarm/immobiliser is not working to its full effectiveness?

Many thanks for all your advice thus far, much appreciated.

Hope all are well

Regards, Phil.

Hallo mate,

Good idea. I fished out the broken third key i have, and althought it isnt a remote key, it did unlock the switch between the fuel flap release and the boot release, and now i can open the boot from inside the car.

My car does appear to have remote locking. There is a sensor on the right hand side of the dash and there is a switch on the left hand side, just under the steering wheel which gives me the ability to turn the remote on or off. Currently its set to off.

How easy is it to get a replacement? My car of choice before this one was always the rover 800 sterling, and if you lost or broke the remote on one of those, getting a replacement was one thing, then getting it to talk to the car was something else.

Also, given that at present i am only locking the car with the key, and not the remote, does it mean that the alarm/immobiliser is not working to its full effectiveness?

Hope all are well

Regards, Phil.

Hi again.

Glad the boot is sorted.

I'm assuming that yours is a MKII but I dont think there is much differnce in relation to the set-up, only the alarm that is fitted.

With my MKIII, the keys do not set the alarm or the immobiliser. These functions are controlled by a seperate Battery operated fob. The system was fitted in the UK, not in the factory. I cant see that Lexus would factory-fit the MKII and not the MKIII. Mine has a Scorpian T5000 system.

I know that the search facility will enable you to find out what system yours has because I have searched this topic recently. This will also cast some light on replacing your fob/s; you will not have to have new keys and the hassle you have previously had. Have a good read through and then you will know what to do and/or ask.

Incidently, I believe all the alarm units are located behind the glove box. Also incidentally my previous 3 cars were 827's the first of which was a 1990 and 10 times better than a new 800 I had in 1990.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Upon inspection of the two additional keys i have for the car, they both appear to be remote keys. I didnt think they were at first as there wasnt any buttons on the flat areas of the key however, even though the button is missing on both of em, there is a button on the edge of each key, but the plastic is broken on both keys.

Would this indicate which alarm system i have?, and therefore which replacement keys i would need?

Phil.

Hi all,

Hallo mate,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Holding the release lever down for a few seconds doesnt seem to work either. In between the boot release switch and the fuel flap switch (which works fine) is what looks like some kind of lock, which doesnt seem to unlock with the keys that i have.

Does this mean that ill have to go cap in hand to lexus, and pass out when they give me the bill??? Lol.

Phil

Im afraid so mate, the lock is the "valet" lock intended for keeping personal belongings in the boot and ONLY the master key will open it, presumably valet parkers are thieving toerags and Lexus dont trust 'em?, but really now , would people bother taking both keys out with them together on the same night? you know thats when sods law is at its cruelest and you'd lose both and really be in the sh...

I heard the keys were 90quid, but thats if you have the master key as that resets them all...think my mum paid just over £200 for her Rx300 key

NEVER buy a car without the master key :winky:

Hallo mate,

Hope all are well

Regards, Phil.

Hi again.

Glad the boot is sorted.

I'm assuming that yours is a MKII but I dont think there is much differnce in relation to the set-up, only the alarm that is fitted.

With my MKIII, the keys do not set the alarm or the immobiliser. These functions are controlled by a seperate Battery operated fob. The system was fitted in the UK, not in the factory. I cant see that Lexus would factory-fit the MKII and not the MKIII. Mine has a Scorpian T5000 system.

I know that the search facility will enable you to find out what system yours has because I have searched this topic recently. This will also cast some light on replacing your fob/s; you will not have to have new keys and the hassle you have previously had. Have a good read through and then you will know what to do and/or ask.

Incidently, I believe all the alarm units are located behind the glove box. Also incidentally my previous 3 cars were 827's the first of which was a 1990 and 10 times better than a new 800 I had in 1990.

Hallo mate.

What do you mean by 'the search facility'?

Also, i managed to grab some pics of the two remote keys i have. As i dont know much about the car yet maybe someone will be able to identify which alarm i have, and wether or not i can get replacement keys. I havent seen anything on eBay that looks like mine.

Apologies for the pics, they were taken using my phone and are crap as a result.

Keybuttonview.jpg

This one shows the remote button on the side of the key, although they both have the rubber missing.

Keyflatview2.jpg

Then the top and bottom views.

Keyflatview.jpg

Phil.

Hi Phil,

It seems you have a standard MKII setup. The only problem is that the 1-button remotes are becoming quite rare these days. Fleabay UK has zip, Fleabay US has 1 but, the pic of the key has writing just at the spot where the button should be. Just ask the seller to confirm. link--> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-1993-94-95-96-LEXUS-ES-GS-SC-300-SC400-KEY-REMOTE_W0QQitemZ120542794443QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c10e912cb

Just have it cut. Program instructions are widely available on here or elsewhere on the net ;)

Why don't new members use the search window for problems all ready covered.

As mentioned in my previous threads sometime over the last two years I stated that the cost from Lexus was £170 for a set of two master keys along with a new chip for the boot to work with the buttons and central locking.

Please note that if the locks on any door or boot have been changed then you are beggered as Lexus will only have the details of lock from when the car was made(chassis number).

Looking at the pic you have the master key. If it's not working on your central locking then change the Battery. Also check if the key fits all locks and under the dash etc to make sure it's the correct key. If any of the locks have been changed then you won't be able to use it for the purpose and would have to find where the lock came from(car details) to allow lexus to make a key that works.

Come on BazGTR, I guess you are doing the guy a favour by giving him some advice but why slate him (and other members) for not using the search facility? Searching is not as easy now the site has changed, and sometimes it is easier to ask the question again as it is quicker than sorting the relative answers from the not so relevant posts that a search can bring up.

Some of us are happy to help without moaning about it...

As mentioned in my previous threads sometime over the last two years I stated that the cost from Lexus was £170 for a set of two master keys along with a new chip for the boot to work with the buttons and central locking.

Please note that if the locks on any door or boot have been changed then you are beggered as Lexus will only have the details of lock from when the car was made(chassis number).

Looking at the pic you have the master key. If it's not working on your central locking then change the battery. Also check if the key fits all locks and under the dash etc to make sure it's the correct key. If any of the locks have been changed then you won't be able to use it for the purpose and would have to find where the lock came from(car details) to allow lexus to make a key that works.

umm..why would he need a need a new chip for the boot? The 1 button remote on the mkII only has the 4 door open/close feature. No boot!

Perhaps bazgtr means that the Lexus £170 package gives 2 masters of the later Denso 3 button remote key, and the chip ensures that the 3rd button actually opens the boot.

Hi all, and thanks for the advice, although apologies if it annoyed people by not using the search feature.

So does that mean, i can go along to lexus, get 2 new master keys and those keys will give the remote opening of the boot. Kind of an upgrade over the single button (broken) remotes that i have at the moment.

Again, thanks to all for all the help and advice thus far.

Regards,

Phil.