Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Idling Too High After Cleaning Throttle Body

w77

My car was idling at 500 rpm which I think was a bit low so decided to give the throttle body a bit of cleaning. I took off the whole plastic air box and used a cloth sprayed with carburettor cleaner and wiped off the black stuff inside the throttle body. I tried to wipe as far inside as I can. After cleaning, I started it with the airbox still not connected and it was idling at around 2000rpm with engine malfunction light ON. Turned the engione off and connected everything back (the hose and the air sensor) as it was. Started it again but still idling at about 1800rpm, goes down to about 1200rpm when put on DRIVE then goes back to 1800 when put on NEUTRAL. Idle doesn't go down even when the car is hot. I've tried to reset the ECU but no luck still. It's annoying really. Can someone advice me what to do please. Thanks.

My car was idling at 500 rpm which I think was a bit low so decided to give the throttle body a bit of cleaning. I took off the whole plastic air box and used a cloth sprayed with carburettor cleaner and wiped off the black stuff inside the throttle body. I tried to wipe as far inside as I can. After cleaning, I started it with the airbox still not connected and it was idling at around 2000rpm with engine malfunction light ON. Turned the engione off and connected everything back (the hose and the air sensor) as it was. Started it again but still idling at about 1800rpm, goes down to about 1200rpm when put on DRIVE then goes back to 1800 when put on NEUTRAL. Idle doesn't go down even when the car is hot. I've tried to reset the ECU but no luck still. It's annoying really. Can someone advice me what to do please. Thanks.

did u remove the throttle body off the manifold if so did you se a new gasket they can normally split causing a air leak and a fast idle. You normally get a system lean code too.

did u remove the throttle body off the manifold if so did you se a new gasket they can normally split causing a air leak and a fast idle. You normally get a system lean code too.

No I didn't take the throttle body off.

Hi,

Idling at 500 rpm is normal on IS200 Auto when she is warmed up. (as long as your engine is not vibrating)

check the error code and come back to us.

Felix

I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Exactly the same thing happed to me. But after about 20 miles, idle was down at normal again.

Just wait and make some more miles and see what happens.

As for the engine light, i think it is just because you turned the engine on without the airbox.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Well, I started her this morning and although it was still idling at about 1800rpm I've noticed that the engine light was gone. I drove it for about 5 miles and when I stopped, idle dropped to 1000rpm. Drove again this evening and it was idling at around 1800rpm again after start up, then kept dropping and stays to 900rpm when hot. It's now idling smoothly without any vibration unlike before. Even much responsive as well, maybe because of the high rpm or the throttle body being cleaned. I've also read here earlier to expect high rpm after cleaning the throttle body.

• 9 years later...

Hello,

I have same problem after clean throttle body. Idle was 500 rpm and when engine is warm go to 3000 rpm with engine light and trd light also with code P1349. I change the vvti valve. After reconnect Battery no have light on dashboard anymore but rpm stay a 1800/2000 (hot/cold). Someone have one idea ?

Thank you