Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hi i recently purchased my 1st lex a 2000 black gs 300 sport i like the car but the problem is whenever i accelarate i can hear a dreadful pinkling noise from under the car ive taken it to lexus3 times as its under warranty and they say the noise is common on all gs models and the only thing they could do is change the ecu but are sure the problem wont go please tell me there is something that can be done im desperate as my warranty will soon run out

• 1 year later...
hi i recently purchased my 1st lex a 2000 black gs 300 sport i like the car but the problem is whenever i accelarate i can hear a dreadful pinkling noise from under the car ive taken it to lexus3 times as its under warranty and they say the noise is common on all gs models and the only thing they could do is change the ecu but are sure the problem wont go please tell me there is something that can be done im desperate as my warranty will soon run out

I had a similar problem when i bought my gs mki years ago and i was told to try super unleaded which has more octane rather than standard unleaded fuel. I was told the the performance engine was running low on power from the fuel which was causing the noise. May be worth a try super unleaded next time you are low on fuel.

I had a similar problem when i bought my gs mki years ago and i was told to try super unleaded which has more octane rather than standard unleaded fuel. I was told the the performance engine was running low on power from the fuel which was causing the noise. May be worth a try super unleaded next time you are low on fuel.

Remember to take the wire off the Battery or take the E.F.I fuse out for a minute or so and reset the ecu to learn the new fuel ;)

Superunleaded,pricer but the sort of fuel worth putting in a high power output engine.

Its the old 4 star :D

cheers chips.

I had a similar problem on my 99 GS, check it isn't something as simple as an exhaust heat shield which has come loose. Mine rattled like a good 'un until I ripped the heat shield off from underneath, it really was that simple, took me two minutes with a prybar, the thing was rusted to hell.

I had a similar problem on my 99 GS, check it isn't something as simple as an exhaust heat shield which has come loose.  Mine rattled like a good 'un until I ripped the heat shield off from underneath, it really was that simple, took me two minutes with a prybar, the thing was rusted to hell.

:D Good point,had the same thing on a Senator i owned.

Cheers chips.

sounds more like "pinking", which more than likely linked to poor fuel, do you use supermarket fuel?

Ever since having tuned engines when younger, always found they ran badly on poor fuel, have done all the "scientific" experiments, and convinced what you pay more for the fuel, rewarded in either more response or more mileage. Therefore you pay more and get more, so they balance themselves out.

If unsure, try replacing the engine after a few years of savings 3p a gallon, gues which one is cheaper?!

We had a similar noise under acceleration on our recently traded-in GS300 SE 99, eventually it traced to an internal baffle being loose within the front exhaust box, needed a new front pipe and box at a cost of £375. Get them checking the boxes for you. It was a metallic tinkley/rattle which got pretty loud at times.

Our old GS is now online at Lexus if anyone wants a nosey..... bit pricey though... think we'll stick with our new GS430 :D

http://lexusucl.en-gb.r66.co.uk/CarView.as...=2&id=500660126

sounds more like "pinking", which more than likely linked to poor fuel, do you use supermarket fuel?

Ever since having tuned engines when younger, always found they ran badly on poor fuel, have done all the "scientific" experiments, and convinced what you pay more for the fuel, rewarded in either more response or more mileage. Therefore you pay more and get more, so they balance themselves out.

If unsure, try replacing the engine after a few years of savings 3p a gallon, gues which one is cheaper?!

What a load of rubbish :P Do you think that the refineries have a seperate area marked cheap fuel! The unleaded you get at the supermarket is the same as at the regular stations. The only exceptions are things like Optimax but that said I'd be suprised if the supermarkets Super Unleaded wasn't out of the same tank.

A while ago I got chatting to one of the fuel tanker drivers about this and he said that he filled the tanker for the local BP garage from the same place in the same refinary as for the local supermarket. The olny difference was that he switched trailer unit for one with the corresponding logo.

There are 9 main refineries in the UK

BP Coryton

Stanford-le-Hope

Essex

BP Grangemouth

Grangemouth

Stirlingshire

Conoco Ltd

Humber Refinery

South Killingholme

North Lincolnshire

Esso Petroleum Company Ltd

Fawley Refinery

Fawley

Southampton

Petroplus

North Tees Works

Seaton Road

Port Clarence

Cleveland

Shell UK Ltd

Stanlow Manufacturing Complex

Ellesmere Port

South Wirral

Texaco Ltd

Pembroke Plant

Pembroke

Pembrokeshire

TotalFinaElf/Murco

Milford Haven Refinery

Milford Haven

Pembrokeshire

TotalFinaElf

Lindsey Oil Refinery

Eastfield Road

North Killingholme

Immingham

North Lincolnshire

You will find that despite them being owned by BP or Shell you will see tankers for all of the various retailers filling up. Do you really think that Total/Fina/Elf stations only get petrol delivered from the refinery in North Lincolnshire or that every Esso tanker you see started out from Southampton?

:driving:

I do not think that it is the petrol, it is virtually all the same except for the additives that are added by the tanker driver depending upon where he is delivering. The additiives do make a difference, particularly the ones that improve the atomisation of the fuel, so it burns better. I have used Tesco standard unleaded in my 99 GS300 for the last 3 years with no problem. It never pinks and I regularly give it some stick. The ECU should cope with any quality of fuel, but it needs to be reset to quickly learn about the fuel and how it performs. Otherwise the learning process takes some time. If it has been running on better quality fuel for a while it will have optimised the ignition settings for that fuel. As suggested by Chips you need to disconnect the Battery or remove the fuse for a while (at least a minute) to reset the ECU. Super unleaded is becoming rare. Certainly the supermarkets do not sell it now, so resetting the ECU is a better bet long term.

JCC

We had a similar noise under acceleration on our recently traded-in GS300 SE 99, eventually it traced to an internal baffle being loose within the front exhaust box, needed a new front pipe and box at a cost of £375. Get them checking the boxes for you. It was a metallic tinkley/rattle which got pretty loud at times.

Our old GS is now online at Lexus if anyone wants a nosey..... bit pricey though... think we'll stick with our new GS430 :D

http://lexusucl.en-gb.r66.co.uk/CarView.as...=2&id=500660126

:) Hi Andy, hows the GS going? best regards J

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links