Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Vs Altezza - Base Time Attack Car

Hi guys,

I'm starting a new project car, since my 950BHP R33 GTR is near complete and I'm getting bored as I've done pretty much everything I can to it.

I've purchased Martin Ffrench's widebody Carbon Fibre Altezza kit (which is very similar to the HKS carbon altezza) and buliding a new project car to hopefully enter time attack next year.

IMG_0330.jpg

4004954035_5212ebef9f.jpg

I have three main routes to kick the project off and wanted your collective advice on:

Option 1 – Use my Lexus IS 300

Pro’s

- No initial outlay for car

- Good solid car with no problems

Con’s

- Need a normal car for going to meetings, airports runs etc.

- Is an automatic

- Turbo Kits are available in the US

Modifications Cost

Vehicle was = £7k

Manual Gearbox + Conversion = £3k

SRT Turbo Conversion = £4k

Option 2 – Lexus IS 200

Pro’s

- £3.5k for car

- Friends car happy to pay in monthly instalments

Con’s

- 150bhp base engine

- Limited availability of Turbo Kits

Modifications Cost

Vehicle Cost = £3.5k

Turbo Kit = £??k

Option 3 – Altezza

Pro’s

- Found cheap donor car in Ireland for £2k (needs new rear quarter panel

- 210bhp base engine

Con’s

- Accident repairs will cost minimum £1k upwards

- Limited availability of Turbo Kits

Modifications Cost

Vehicle Cost = £2k + £1k repairs + £400 transportation

Turbo Kit = £4k

I've not included prices for things like rollcages, suspension, bodykit fitting etc as it'll be the same on any of the three, what i'm trying to figure out is the most cost efficient route for reliable 300-400bhp.

I've also thought about the Lexus V8 conversion using parts from Thor racing. I have to make a decision this week.

If you could respond with what you think is the best option (1,2,3 or maybe create a 4th). That would be a great help.

I love that car, it just looks so sweet!

Have you bought his project? as in the whole chassis etc or is he producing bodykits from it?

If it was me i would go for the supra 2JZ-GTE engine! No point having something that looks as mean as the devil itself and the power of a micra!

well thats what i reckon, :D

Jason :)

Just out of interest, why will the repairs to the Altezza cost over a grand for cosmetic repairs?

Surely if your putting that kit on the car repairs will be in the thousands if you stuff it no matter what base car it will be on?

An auto isnt going to be any good for time attack, so i'd rule that out...

Surely an IS200 with some sort of big engine is going to be your best bet?

Bruce

The Altezza would be the best base for a track car IMO. If it's a Z or L edition it'll have a factory LSD otherwise they were optional (But you'd want to upgrade it anyway I guess.) Either 6cyl will add more weight over the front wheels upsetting the balance. The 2JZGTE is great for outright power though. The 3SGE is easy to turbo. Greddy & Apexi make off the shelf kits & it wouldn't be very hard to fabricate your own manifold either. TODA make low comp forged pistons for them. 2JZGTE pistons can also be machined down to fit as well. Some good reading on the subject HERE

@Monster-Mat

TDI's have told me a lot about your engine build and it is a work of art. It's out of my budget to be completely honest.

@jason_l

I've bought the Carbon Fibre Kit, Bonnet, Wings, Door Skins, Rear Arches, Boot etc. The rolling chassis he has at the moment has had extensive modification including the tunnel being removed for a rear engine setup so for me it isn't ideal. He's not going to be selling this as a kit, it's completely one-off.

@Bruc3

In terms of repair work, I've been modding cars for 10+ years and have a good amount of knowledge myself and friends around me. The 950BHP R33 GTR that I own (www.teamgtr.com) was myself and a lot of help from friends hence calling it the Team GTR Skyline. I've had a friend around who has looked at a lot of pictures of the crashed Altezza and given me an approxiamte price to bring the Altezza back into shape.

@E910

Thank you so much for the link, I really struggled to find good info on turbocharging the Altezza.

But I have decided on the route I want to take and that's inspired from another member on here. With a car that is this aggressive looking I think only the 1UZ-FE 4.0L V8 will do. It's a strong and light engine, Thor Racing sell all the parts to drop it into an Is200 using the R154 gearbox. I'm just sourcing parts to do the engine build. The only part I'm struggling with is the exhaust headers/manifold that point around to the front of the engine for a single turbo conversion, which is a stage 2.

Is200's are cheap to get as a base car - I'm going to look at one today! Once I get my parts i'll start a build thread. Thanks for your input so far.

Cheeers,

Shah

skylion-sounds like you are going down a similar route to loc member "asi" - his build is on a different forum but he does come here sometimes-pm him and he may be able to give you some useful pointers - he is building his for the road though

Thanks I'll make sure I run a decent thread - I just bought a 1UZ-FE engine and the carbon fibre kit should be coming over next week. Gotta put the Skyline outside the Garage now and start on the new project.

Here is the last engine I built for my GTR - on the last Dyno run it was 792WHP (900-950BHP)

gtr-engine1.jpg

Looking forward to the next project.

1UZ-FE will be nice. I think they're lighter than the 2JZ-GE in the IS300. Couple of small turbos should bring the V8 to life. If you chose the N/A route then have a chat to these guys for some ideas http://a1turbos.co.nz

TONYS%20MODS%20TO%20MOTOR.jpg

Thanks for another great link, they supply the bellhousing conversions for manual transmission which is great. I also need to source a V160 or R154 gearbox next. I just bought the engine mounts... http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/IS200_Engine_Mounts-THOR00480.asp