Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450H Fuel Consumption

I think the Lexus fuel economy figures for the RX450H are a joke. Firstly, it is a heavier vehicle than the GS450H, with almost exactly the same engine and hybrid setup. If the fuel figures on the GS are in the low 30s, there is no way on earth you are going to get mid 40s from the RX, unless you drive 50% of the time on battery power alone. The RX is a high performance vehicle, and Lexus should give average figures based on a variety of driving styles, not just creeping around a deserted test track (or on a rolling road) at 10mph on fully charged hybrid batteries. I had an RX450H as a courtesy car for a week, and I never managed to get more than 25 in town or 31 on a long run. That is way below Lexus claims. Before this experience, I had given serious consideration to buying one. However, the poor economy and the ridiculous insurance costs (40% more than a GS450H and 10% more than an ISF in my case) made a good case against it. I went with the ISF, a totally different type of vehicle, but I'm not sorry I made that choice. The RX and GS Hybrids are great cars, but they are a total sham if you are buying to save fuel and the planet. The ISF is a gas guzzling, CO2 belching monster, with no pretences. However, the claimed Lexus fuel figures are almost spot on. The only downside is the road tax!!

In actual fact the engines in the GS and the RX are quite different, as the RX one runs the atkinson cycle whereas the GS has a pretty normal engine geared towards performance. The RX engine has 245hp while the GS has 296hp. Based on all that I would expect the RX to be a fair bit more economical than the GS, and that makes the results in this thread even more disappointing.

As you say they don't really make a lot of sense if saving fuel is the key issue, however if you are a business user paying company car tax then they really are a no brainer.

Lexus must lose a lot of sales due to inaccurate mpg information.

I took my father in law to Sheffield Lexus and he was really impressed with the RX450 test drive. What impressed him more was the advertised mpg, the figures were so much more than he got from his Mercedes ML. He wanted to and was ready to buy the RX until he found out the real MPG figures, his mate owns and RX. RX mpg is worse than his merc, so why bother changing cars.

This must happen a lot. People loving the car but refusing to purchase due to finding out disappointing real world mpg.

• 2 weeks later...

Lexus must lose a lot of sales due to inaccurate mpg information.

I took my father in law to Sheffield Lexus and he was really impressed with the RX450 test drive. What impressed him more was the advertised mpg, the figures were so much more than he got from his Mercedes ML. He wanted to and was ready to buy the RX until he found out the real MPG figures, his mate owns and RX. RX mpg is worse than his merc, so why bother changing cars.

This must happen a lot. People loving the car but refusing to purchase due to finding out disappointing real world mpg.

Hi and about me, I come from a rx 400h and have now a RX 450 h and I CAN tell you that the conso is much better than the RX400h. Recently I have reached a 69 mpg(UK) or 6,5 l/100km during a 70 km trip in South of France. Now my average conso is 57 mpg(UK) or 8,1 l/100km for about 2500 km. Compared with the RX 400h it's minimum 1 l better for same trips same conditions. But to reach such conso we must anticipate a lot, allowing the batteries to be recharged via kinetic energy, Heat energy from brakes, etc. Using the topography of the envrionment.

Really easy to reach a conso around 57 to 69 mpg (approx 7,5 l/100km)!

In addition to this, the precision of the conso (consumption) indicator is amazing! When I refill the reservoir, the real consumption was 8,122 l/100 km and indicator was 8,2 of the RX

Hi and about me, I come from a rx 400h and have now a RX 450 h and I CAN tell you that the conso is much better than the RX400h. Recently I have reached a 43,8 mpg or 6,5 l/100km during a 70 km trip in South of France. Now my average conso is 34,9 mpg or 8,1 l/100km for about 2 000 km. Compared with the RX 400h it's minimum 1 l better for same trips same conditions. But to reach such conso we must anticipate a lot allowing the batteries to be recharged via kinetic energy, Heat energy from brakes, etc. Using the topography of the envrionment.

Really easy to reach a conso around 37/38 mpg (approx 7,5 l/100km)!

In addition to this, the precision of the conso (consumption) indicator is amazing! When I refill the reservoir, the real consumption was 8,122 l/100 km and indicator was 8,2 of the RX

I have had a 2011 RX 450h today while my IS-F is being serviced. I presume it's the 'Premium' edition as it has the same options as the 250 SE-L. TBH I'm reluctant to take it back as am very impressed with the car as a complete 'all-rounder'. The new driving technique was very easy to get used to, and according to the read-out I've averaged 40 mpg with a mix of urban and m-way driving. Considering the weight and size of the car I think that's excellent ....the IS-F's days may be numbered :P

• 3 years later...

here are my data on RX400h motorway 60mph with some small stops in city was getting 40MPH on other trip 42MPG on other trip with lot of hill driving very slow ~1.5H in hills total distance 125miles then was 35MPG one more trip was driving country roads pulse driving average 40mph then got even 50MPG also with some very slow hill driving. So far with 400H I get even better as manufacturer claimed results. Obviously best results you can get with pulse driving with average speed 40MPH and from time to time use EV mode with cruise control at 40MPH that's why in city I can get same or better MPG as on highway

Too many variables for MPG. I consistently get 30mpg and I live in Yorkshire, hills galore! Im also a fan of Sport mode which I use regularly on B roads and on the motorway for added responsiveness. I have also never used the pulse and glide method.

Obviously living in an area which has flat roads with no elevations is going to benefit fuel economy - hence, in London I can get 40mpg in stop and start traffic.

Did you know a tyre with 3mm tread will give 2-3mpg greater fuel economy readings than a new tyre? At the end of the day, buying a Lexus with a 3.5l V6 Petrol engine is stupid if you're looking for fuel economy. Go buy a diesel instead. You buy an RX450h for the quiet, smooth engine characteristics and the fact that it isnt a diesel, not for fuel economy. If that's a priority, I suggest getting a 1.0l Aygo

• 2 months later...

Only had my 450h a couple of weeks but..

For what it's worth I drive carefully in mixed town and short motorway journeys daily and havn't done better than 30mpg .. however I did a run on the A1 .. Manchester to Newcastle return and going worked out at 38.7 mpg at speeds varying between 50mph and 70mph on the return slightly faster at 60mph and 80mph worked out at 36mpg

These I feel are realistic figures even being a hybrid.. far from those quoted and somewhat disappointing really

• Like 1

For what it's worth I drive carefully in mixed town and short motorway journeys daily and havn't done better than 30mpg .. however I did a run on the A1 .. Manchester to Newcastle return and going worked out at 38.7 mpg at speeds varying between 50mph and 70mph on the return slightly faster at 60mph and 80mph worked out at 36mpg

These I feel are realistic figures even being a hybrid.. far from those quoted and somewhat disappointing really

You're driving a 3.5l V6 petrol hauling around 2 tonnes of weight, expecting 44mpg would be idiotic even if stated by the manufacturers. These cars are tested unrealistically.

It's no different from any other manufacturer, in fact, Mercedes quote 70mpg from their c220 cdi. I got 35mpg in town - that's what you call bad.

You have to understand that you'd struggle to do 18mpg in town if the car had no hybrid setup and was just a 3.5l V6. So 30mpg is very good. In fact, even Audi's Q7 3.0tdi, with a smaller engine and being a diesel only manages 25mpg in town so the Lexus is very good regardless of whether it achieves the fuel economy figures or not.

• Like 2

We bought the 450h expecting it to achieve 30mpg on my wives daily commute which is a 14 mile round trip in rush hour traffic and she currently averages 31 which we are very please with. This is achieved without the use of any 'hybrid techniques' and considering the car is a 2.2 tonne 3.5 V5 petrol with 295bhp is very impressive.

• Like 1

I have always found Lexus to be one of the few manufacturers whose mpg claims are actually achievable! It is important to remember that the quoted figures are literally a BEST case scenario, if you are driving a fully warmed up car, no headwinds, no aircon on, no cold temps that require the engine to heat the cabin, no lots of traffic lights or high speed roads.

I took a trip from Croydon to Sidcup, 9am on a weekday morning with the above and got 53mpg, way over the quoted figures but it was hard work making sure to keep it on electric power as much as possible.

You want good economy on the motorway then you need to keep the speed down, travelling at a steady 60mph on a flat road is 45mpg.

I can get 30mpg on short journeys that would be 16-20mpg in a normal car, long journeys an easy 35-38mpg.

Every Lexus I have owned I have been able to get to the figures on certain journeys. The Mercs I have owned though..... Hmmm never have even managed to get to their Urban figures no matter what I do!

Lexus give you a choice, drive in a very fuel concious manner and get great mpg or just enjoy and not care and get average mpg. Trust me when I say both will be higher than comparable cars from say MB driven in the same manner.

• Like 1

Drove to Birmingham and back so 218 miles altogether.

Whole trip was in Sport mode at 70-80mph although I hit 100mph once after I got annoyed with the roadworks.

Got 34mpg which I was extremely pleased with as I had 5 people in the car and maybe an extra 20kg from all the crap that my wife brings along

• Like 3

Just been on Holiday for 2 weeks and done 1400 miles. 700 miles towing a 1700 kg caravan and the comouter says 25 mpg. so I recon 20 towing and 30 for the rest. Not bad for a big lump!!!

• Like 1

Ok so today was a trip to ligh****er valley. Set the cruise control on at 70mph as I wasn't in a hurry. It works about 60 miles for me so 120 miles in total

3 adults and 2 children in the car in normal mode + a heavy picnic hamper. Managed 35.4 mpg :)

I'm going to Gloucester for a wedding in 2 weeks. It's 340 miles in total so will post that up too

• Like 2

New owner of RX450H and have been driving Prius for over 6+ years, so very familiar with the Hybrid efficiency. I used to get over 55 mpg in summer and around 44 mpg in winter with Toyota Prius however irrespective of driving style I am averaging around 32 - 33 with Lexus.

I think enjoy the ride as the marginal efficiency you achieve is not worth the effort!

I am not a racer but drive a mixed traffic profile everyday including motorway and urban start stop traffic jams.

Just had a short break away in Cheshire from Milton Keynes. Decided not to use motorways. Didn't rush around but drove up to and at speed limits where possible. Spent a day driving around in the Peak District so plenty of steep hills. Total round trip mileage of 350 miles. 41 MPG overall. Well pleased!

JBP

Approx 100 mile trip, 25% urban, 50% motorway, 25% country roads varying from 30-60, 2 x mile long traffic jams, 2 adults, 1 child and a couple of bags. Got just over 40mpg, this is why I think unlike other manufacturers Lexus figures are actually obtainable - if you were to drive at the most efficient speeds with a single person in the car and no luggage the quoted 45mpg seems entirely possible!

post-17402-0-45274600-1439659772_thumb.j

I have. 2013 RX 450hband am currently achieving 36/38mpg over approx 1500miles loaded up with luggage and four adults. Visiting North Yorkshire and the Lake District . I am very happy with this.

Our 450h is driven without any thought for fuel consumption - not thrashed just used and enjoyed as it should be - lots of town stuff plus some faster stuff too - all in all we get around 31mpg which as Rayaan said is more than reasonable for the size, weight and performance of the vehicle. The EU tests are a nonsense and Lexus cannot be blamed for just doing what every other manufacturer does. We owned a ML320 diesel for two years - our average mpg was 21. Prior to that a Merc C180 petrol which only averaged 26mpg. I also have. An ISF so I know what low fuel consumption can really feel like but for me the RX is really good all round mix of comfort, pace and economy. Forget about trying to get 44mpg - life is too short - just enjoy what a great car

you have purchased.

• Like 2

Our 450h is driven without any thought for fuel consumption - not thrashed just used and enjoyed as it should be - lots of town stuff plus some faster stuff too - all in all we get around 31mpg which as Rayaan said is more than reasonable for the size, weight and performance of the vehicle. The EU tests are a nonsense and Lexus cannot be blamed for just doing what every other manufacturer does. We owned a ML320 diesel for two years - our average mpg was 21. Prior to that a Merc C180 petrol which only averaged 26mpg. I also have. An ISF so I know what low fuel consumption can really feel like but for me the RX is really good all round mix of comfort, pace and economy. Forget about trying to get 44mpg - life is too short - just enjoy what a great car

you have purchased.

I agree, I don't try and get good MPG but Im still impressed with the RX as it does achieve some brilliant figures. Does more MPG on the motorway than my wifes Merc C220

So the Saturday gone, I went to Gloucester for a family wedding with the family of course, so 5 people in the car once again. Whole trip was done in Sport mode.

The computer was showing a range of 349 miles on a full tank. Now Gloucester is 169 miles from where I live so did 338 miles altogether on Saturday.

Well, when I got home, I still had a cruising range of 60 miles showing on the computer. All in all, I ended up doing 420 miles on one tank before the low fuel light came on yesterday at which point I filled up.

MPG was showing as 32 mpg on the motorway which is great tbh for a car of this size

• Like 1