Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Under Bonnet Clean/paint Advice

hi guys hope you can help with this i want paint some plastic covers and couple metal parts some near exuast in chrome or silver any idea to what product to use also how to prep ready the engine bay looks tired and dirty i was thinking of useing gunk engine cleaner first maybe renew couple bolts some parts are very rusty looking thinking wire brushing them any advice will be good as only use to clean paint on last car (some parts may need to be painted on car as i no mechanic )

thanks gary

I used gunk on my engine bay a few weeks back, its fantastic stuff. I used the spray version and a small soft painters brush to work it in, then used a watering can to rinse off. I applied Autoglym vinyl and rubber care after to bring the plastics and hoses to a 'like new' state.

hi guys hope you can help with this i want paint some plastic covers and couple metal parts some near exuast in chrome or silver any idea to what product to use also how to prep ready the engine bay looks tired and dirty i was thinking of useing gunk engine cleaner first maybe renew couple bolts some parts are very rusty looking thinking wire brushing them any advice will be good as only use to clean paint on last car (some parts may need to be painted on car as i no mechanic )

thanks gary

For painting plastic's you will need to clean them well with a good degreaser and the rub them down with 3M scratchpad, 3M also do a plastic primer/ adhesion promoter in aerosol, a light coat with this and let it dry then aresol paint whatever colour you want. If you are only painting plastics Black again put the paint staight over the plastic primer or if you are changing to a lighter colour a base primer will probably be needed also, as for bolt's/nuts and other removable brackets, best bet is to remove, rub down with wire brush then some emery then a couple of good coats of etch primer then a few coats of colour.

Both Etch Primer and Plastic Primer come in aerosol, the plastic primer is clear.

Hope that this helps, i work in a bodyshop and this is what we do, all above products can be got at any decent motorfactors, an possibly Halfords.

thanks gary

For painting plastic's you will need to clean them well with a good degreaser and the rub them down with 3M scratchpad, 3M also do a plastic primer/ adhesion promoter in aerosol, a light coat with this and let it dry then aresol paint whatever colour you want. If you are only painting plastics Black again put the paint staight over the plastic primer or if you are changing to a lighter colour a base primer will probably be needed also, as for bolt's/nuts and other removable brackets, best bet is to remove, rub down with wire brush then some emery then a couple of good coats of etch primer then a few coats of colour.

Both Etch Primer and Plastic Primer come in aerosol, the plastic primer is clear.

Hope that this helps, i work in a bodyshop and this is what we do, all above products can be got at any decent motorfactors, an possibly Halfords.

thanks jollyrodger for this info do you think standard paint will stand the heat near exhaust

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links