Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 Navigation

I was thinking of upgrading the Denso SatNav on my 98 LS400. Anyone know if the later DVD version is compatable, the original CD unit is non too good when you get off major roads. Lexus are very expensive when it come to map updates, anyone know of another source for these.

Any advice much appreciated.

I've looked everywhere and had no luck at all. I put a VDO Dayton MS5000 in my wife's car - superb unit, and the maps are £80 (not £200 like the Lexus ones).

Having said that, Lexus run a very good free loan service when you're going abroad (although the maps are a little out of date). On the map of France I borrowed last year, none of the motorways around Calais were in it.

Thanks for the comments Guys,

I must say that I am a little dissapointed with CD based navigation. I am in the UK and it only seems to work on major roads, even though all the streets seem to be in the database. It usually drops off quite a way from final destination, just when you need it most. It would be interesing if anyone else had any comments about this. Lexus dealers do not seem to be very knowlegeable, or even know what map updates are available. Mine is based on 97 data, possibly this is the problem. I have ordered a new one, which will be here "sometime".

Mike

GramdAlf - your system sounds faulty to me. I have the CD system (prolly exactly the same as yours) - it includes all public roads (big or small). The level of detail is much higher in certain cities (London, Brum. Manchester etc) - but it never gets lost on ANY road, and my version now has street numbers too.

What version have you got (there's a number on the CD)?

Thanks Rodders,

My map is V1.1 97 data. I think this may be the problem. I will soon find out when the update arrive. I am currently attempting to fit a reversing camera but am having difficulty getting the top air vent off. My last 400 was easy, but this one seems a bit stiff. I will post if I manage to get it working, I am sure others would be interested. I am assuming the monitor is standard composite I/P.

Mike

Thanks again Rodders. Quite a difference in vers Nos. I suppose the later CDs also update the O/S. Current software seems to think, why go for 1 mile when you can do it in 10. Maybe Denso sell petrol as well?.

Thats probably enough on this subject!

Mike