Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Noise When Breaking At Slow Speeds Whilst Steering.

Hi all once again I turn to the lexus forum for my first opinion.

I have had the discs and pads replaced on my car at a garage about 3 months ago and they have been working absoloutley fine and still are. However I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that sometimes when I break I can hear a sound coming from the drivers side front wheel. At first it sounded like the pads moving in the calipper slightly, like people have described on here before, however upon further listening and experimenting the sound is most apparent when steering and break at the sametime especially at low speeds in first gear. When doing this the sound seems more than just pads clunking in the calipper too.

This said when your breaking with or without the noise the car is slowing as it should be and the breaks appear to be doing a perfectly good job of stopping the car, so there has been no deteriation in performance at all. Also when driving at speed and breaking the noise doesn't appear to occur. This morning when I set out for work I drove with the radio off and wanted to listen out for the problem and despite driving slowly up to junctions and steering I couldn't provoke the noise into happening. However about 9 miles into my journey I pulled into a friends road and had to perform a 3 point turn and the noise was back, so I'm thinking it could be something that's happening as the breaks warm.

Quite honestly I park on a gravel drive and live in a village, so I thought perhaps something could be obstructing the action of the breaks, either some small stones from the drive or a twig or small branched trapped in the wheel well. Like I said it's not just a clunking sound, anyway I just wondered what you guys thought it might be or if it sounded like something else seen here before.

My concern is that it'll be a ball joint or rubber bushes or something like that, that are causing the issue. hope not! :(

Anyway I hope you guys can shed some light.

Thanks

Mark

p.s the car is a 51 plate se

Hi all once again I turn to the lexus forum for my first opinion.

I have had the discs and pads replaced on my car at a garage about 3 months ago and they have been working absoloutley fine and still are. However I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that sometimes when I break I can hear a sound coming from the drivers side front wheel. At first it sounded like the pads moving in the calipper slightly, like people have described on here before, however upon further listening and experimenting the sound is most apparent when steering and break at the sametime especially at low speeds in first gear. When doing this the sound seems more than just pads clunking in the calipper too.

This said when your breaking with or without the noise the car is slowing as it should be and the breaks appear to be doing a perfectly good job of stopping the car, so there has been no deteriation in performance at all. Also when driving at speed and breaking the noise doesn't appear to occur. This morning when I set out for work I drove with the radio off and wanted to listen out for the problem and despite driving slowly up to junctions and steering I couldn't provoke the noise into happening. However about 9 miles into my journey I pulled into a friends road and had to perform a 3 point turn and the noise was back, so I'm thinking it could be something that's happening as the breaks warm.

Quite honestly I park on a gravel drive and live in a village, so I thought perhaps something could be obstructing the action of the breaks, either some small stones from the drive or a twig or small branched trapped in the wheel well. Like I said it's not just a clunking sound, anyway I just wondered what you guys thought it might be or if it sounded like something else seen here before.

My concern is that it'll be a ball joint or rubber bushes or something like that, that are causing the issue. hope not! :(

Anyway I hope you guys can shed some light.

Thanks

Mark

p.s the car is a 51 plate se

Hiya mate,

Ive heard about teh weird noise coming from moving pads before, and i think i had that. Nut it comes and goes. today i noticed it had come back. but i cant feel any lose of performance in the brakes or anythin. Perhaps if your concerned just drop it into the local dealer, they'll look over it for you

have you try'd checking the ball joints top and bottom?

I have to say I haven't but I also have to say I'm not sure how to. Any chance you can give me some pointers? Also if this is the problem what sort of cost is this likely to be to get fixed.

I'm no mechanic I'm afraid. My father said it might be a bearing issue and that I should jack the car up the tug the wheel top and bottom to see if there is any kind of play.

Thanks

Mark

Ps. further to this the noise is now apparent when I come to a full stop, provoked by the motion of the car lurching as it stops completely and it's more of a creak sound. Technical huh?!

• 2 weeks later...

Right guys well my pride and joy is going to be taken to my trusty local garage tomorrow but since posting this thread a new noise has developed along with all of the others. Again I believe it is coming from the nearside front wheel and the noise can be described as a high pitch whistling noise that is most audible at around 45mph. So now I'm thinking perhaps a bearing is on its way out, my question is does this sound right and also what do those that now think this will cost to fix? I've found this part on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS200-IS-200-FRONT-WHEEL-BEARING-KIT-NEW-99-2004_W0QQitemZ220296533072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item334ab25450

Is that a typical price and a typical part or are there better (suggested) types available?

Thanks again guys you are my source of knowledge! :shifty: