Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all, thinking of selling my is200 sport/nav 1999 with only 56000 miles on it. Very tempted to shell out on a is250 but are they as good as the original? Also worried about the tax band plus are they as bad in the snow as the one ive got?! Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Hi all, thinking of selling my is200 sport/nav 1999 with only 56000 miles on it. Very tempted to shell out on a is250 but are they as good as the original? Also worried about the tax band plus are they as bad in the snow as the one ive got?! Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Never had an IS200 so no comment.

Get an auto IS250 for cheaper tax band since less CO2 emissions.

Yes, they are very poor in the snow even with the snow setting on the auto selected.

Thanks

I had a 200 sport for five or six years. It was a great car, and no trouble at all in all the years I had it, but would never go back to one after having had a 250 Auto. I initially had some issues with my first 250 (a used/approved 250 SE-L mm) but only in connection with squeaks (brakes and passenger seat) and rattles (faulty rear screen) - all fixed under warranty. Once they were fixed I loved the car and have just bought another. When my first 250 was wrecked last month (see my 'total loss' thread)I did test drive a BMW 320i coupe but in the end the only real issue was whether to replace it with an IS auto or a GS450h. The latter is simply awesome but BIG. The IS won primarily because my budget would not stretch to a 'young' GS and there were some issues with the older one I tried.

The auto box on the IS is brilliant and you would pay more tax on a manual. I have never heard of anyone wishing thay had bought the manual instead.

The 250 is not quite as thirsty as the IS 200 (but still no angel around town) and is better equipped, esp in SE-L /mm guise. Yes it is poor in the snow, as are most big rwd cars, but I have bought snow socks (fabric snow chains)and keep them in the boot in winter just in case. European owners seem to have no problem with snow if they fit winter tyres, but it might not be worth doing that over here unless we keep getting winters like the last one.

Hope you find a car you like

Cheers

I still have both, the IS200 Sport I have had for 9 years, and the 250 for 5 years. You cannot really compare the two as they are totally different cars, but in my opinion although the build quality of the 250 is very good it is not as good as the 200. I've had multiple recalls on the 250 (steering rack, rear calipers, fuel rail, etc.) but only one on the Is200, and that was for the front car mats!

The 250 is obviously is more modern and consequently has better toys, and is certainly more comfortable to be in. Also cannot say I've had a problem in the snow either, even with my wider 19" rims, providing TRC is turned off huh.gif , but the only answer to snow with RWD is to fit winter tyres.

Hi

The IS 250 is an all ways better than the IS 200 in my opinion and if you go for the Auto there is a snow mode which makes driving in snow a lot easier , I wont say they are good in snow but they are as good as any other rear wheel drive car with loads of OOMPH

Had an IS200SE for six years and there is no comparison between the two. I prefer the IS250 especially on a very long drive, more toys, in Mesa Red it looks the dogs.... The snow button actually works on the 250 as my wife found out this winter. Tried the deisel for a day but didn't like the gear box, first was too short, kept stalling it, the dealer even suggested pulling away in second, couln't slip through roundabouts in the wrong gear as with the 200. Yes road tax is a bummer, but you can have your say on May6th. The IS200 is looking a little dated IMHO.

Do try all varients, you are sure to find one you like.

As posted elsewhere, the choice is very personal and depends on your key criteria and usage. You asked for 220 views, so here are mine.

My criteria were good performance whilst still getting good consumption when I ordered my first 220 on company lease in 2006. It gave great performance (compared with my previous cars, which have been diesel for nearly 20 years) but consumption was disappointing - only crept to c. 40 general driving by time I got to 40k miles but varied between 42 and 47 on long motorway and A road runs from the start.

Never thought that 6th gear was a problem like some do and really loved the car. At end of 3 years, I had to purchase a replacement myself. 220d was still high on the list and I chose a 6 month old 09 SE from the Approved Used demonstrator stock in preference to tough competition.

I have not regretted it, even though the consumption only showed improvements (as claimed by Lexus) on long runs - up to 50. That was until a month ago at c. 14k miles. It now does over 40 general driving and just returned over 50 on a 200 mile mainly motorway run from Derbyshire to south Wales averaging about 70 mph with stretches somewhat higher. Pulls great from 70 in 6th gear as well. Pic shows read out - by the way mileage was from full tank and still over 1/4 left.

I may be an exception, but it is a cracking car and I would recommend it from a cost perspective compared to the 250.

By the way, my consumption is using Total Excellium fuel, which I find better than others.

Best of luck with the decision.

post-31427-127136521127.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links