Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible Alternator And Ps Problem

help please, i have power stearing leak (bought with prob) and just today the wipers were slow and lights dim, radio cutting out when full beam is on so clearly not charging but still started and once left for a while it started and all lights bright again so can alternators be intermittent?

anyway if its gone i will change both together so can somebody give me the best place for a recon or similar alternator and ps pump, preferably with the o ring for resorvoir, maybe a member has these parts for sale or a good garage but i have a tight budget so i prefer secondhand over new thanks.

mat.

help please, i have power stearing leak (bought with prob) and just today the wipers were slow and lights dim, radio cutting out when full beam is on so clearly not charging but still started and once left for a while it started and all lights bright again so can alternators be intermittent?

anyway if its gone i will change both together so can somebody give me the best place for a recon or similar alternator and ps pump, preferably with the o ring for resorvoir, maybe a member has these parts for sale or a good garage but i have a tight budget so i prefer secondhand over new thanks.

mat.

Hi, just posted a comment on here about a similar problem.

The PS box leaking can cause too much fluid to gunge up and into the alternator and cause that some grief too !

Expensive jobby I'm afraid.

Recon alternator and someone to sort out the leaking PS box seals could do the trick !

Long and dirty and not too inexpensive a job I'm afraid.

Buggering about with 2nd.hand stuff from a breakers might not be the best solution here as they will generally all suffer with a similar fate with age and time.

Sorry to be the bearer of not so good news.

Malc

Malc

There is a kit available with all PS seals etc from Lexus, not too expensive.

If the alternator is shot, get recon or breakers yard, make sure it's

not full of PS fluid!

Don't be too quick to condemn your alt. My PS has been leaking since I got it although I changed the seal, Over a year now, and alt. is still OK. They do fail, but I'm not convinced its the PS fluid that does it. The electrical bits in the trans. are immersed in it and don't mind.

Check for bad connections and get an electrical check on the alt.

mat.

The fluid is leaking on to the alternator. It has now damaged the alternator and will need attention as the car will stop in the next 10 miles with a flat Battery. you proberly already have broken down on reading this.

As mentioned in the previous thread I have listed your options and prices for this fix.

As mentioned in a previous reply from other member you can drive around with wet alternator but it will fail in the end. It might take one day or two years but it will fail. In your case it's already gone, Just put the lights on with radio and good night.

The job of changing the alternator is quite straight forward. Drive belt(undo), Two bolts(14mm I think), one electrical clip and one 10mm nut. If you're going to get it out without the car in the air then you have to remove the Battery housing, fan surround and undo the top radiator hose, this will allow you to turn the fan surround upright to allow the alternator to come out and slide up the gap along side the radiator.

thank for your replys it seems to have fixed itself for now its charging as for the ps pump the leak was stopped by an additive a month ago but i still dont know what damage has been done already. From what i understand ps fluid dissolves the brushes in the alternator so in theory new brushes should fix it

it started not charging the other night and it would charge if the revs were over 3000 but not on idle but i left it off for 10 mins and when i started it was charging and is still working now after about 100 miles so is there a relay or something that could have stuck ?

found the cause of the problem the pos Battery terminal is broken and so loose and when going over a bump it seems to get disconected briefly and that seems to trip out the alternator and it wont charge again untill the engine is turned off and then back on, i have rectified it and tested with meter and reading 14 volts so all is ok. also found the source of a loud tapping which i thought was a tappet but turns out it was the ht lead guide rubbing on the cam pulley! so engine is pretty quite again apart from the egr pipe.

so i will keep an eye on it and see what happens thanks for everyones help.

found the cause of the problem the pos battery terminal is broken and so loose and when going over a bump it seems to get disconected briefly and that seems to trip out the alternator and it wont charge again untill the engine is turned off and then back on, i have rectified it and tested with meter and reading 14 volts so all is ok. also found the source of a loud tapping which i thought was a tappet but turns out it was the ht lead guide rubbing on the cam pulley! so engine is pretty quite again apart from the egr pipe.

so i will keep an eye on it and see what happens thanks for everyones help.

Good to know what the problem turned out to be, weird symptoms can sometimes be caused by simple faults.