Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Suspension

NSJW

Well Hello! My first post on here and hoping someone can give me some sound advice!!

I've just bought my first Lexus, a GS300 built 1995. Knowing very little about these cars I need rack your brains!!

First off the car is a standard 3.0 auto GS300. The owner before me decided to fit the proper Lexus sports shock absorbers and springs. He kept the original suspension units and has given them to me when I bought the car.

My question is this, I want to put the car back on it's original suspension. Is it a straight swap of each strut and job done or is it more involved?

Obviously the geometry will need to be set up when they are changed over.

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, a staight swap over. Although there were 25mm lowered springs fitted on the "Sport" models (did they do those models in Italy?), the shocks were no different, just the springs. And you are correct, the geometry would need redoing afterwards. Why do you want to raise the car back up, the stance is much better on the lowered springs?

Hi, I'm from the UK just working over here. So it's a UK spec car. The rear wheels are cambered in and eat up the inside edge of the tyres. Apparently this is a consequence of fitting the sport suspension? So I was told anyway! Plus I want a more comfortable ride!

Although I agree it does look good at the mo!

Hi, I'm from the UK just working over here. So it's a UK spec car. The rear wheels are cambered in and eat up the inside edge of the tyres. Apparently this is a consequence of fitting the sport suspension? So I was told anyway! Plus I want a more comfortable ride!

Although I agree it does look good at the mo!

Yup, that would happen if the geo wasn't redone after fitting the springs.

Thanks Tigerfish for the confirmation. I presume any garage can set up the Geometry for me?

Probaly not mate. You will need a place that can do full setups including camber and caster. Will cost around £100 for a full setup. Be warned though, when I went to have mine done, all of the rear adjusters had seized solid on mine and they couldn't adjust them. I have a full set of replacement arms sat on the shelf in the garage at the moment waiting for me to have the time to change them all and have the geo redone again. A pain to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past few days the car has developed a rather scary habit, the back end seems to sway out causing the car to drift and snake a little. Havent changed over the stuts yet due to not having time. There is no knocking or clunking from anywhere, had a quick look round and cannot see anything obvious, is there a way of testing the bushes and joints to determine what is causing it?

Also can anyone supply the correct settings for the geometry set up with normal suspension? I can then give this to the garage here for reference.

Thanks in advance!