Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Damage!

I was driving up a mates the other day and the 2 bolts at the bottom of the hub sheared completely off :blink:

These bolts are the only thing holding the bottom if the hub onto the car. Luckily its duel wishbone so the wheel was kept with the car by the top suspension arm. Still damages your wing tho :crybaby:

Pics of the damage

DSC01000.jpg

DSC01001.jpg

This is what happened. The bolts sheared off inside the hub

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

Shiny new bolt

DSC01009.jpg

I was just very lucky that i was already coming to a stop when this happened. Damage could of been alot worse. I really recommend these get changed before its too late and you might not be so lucky. They cost around £9 from a lexus dealer for all four (both sides) and will take you about half hour to change both sides. I also used a bit of thread lock on these new ones just for extra safety

As your lookin at the undeside of the hub you will see the ball joint. There are 2 bolts that go either side of the ball joint and into the hub. These are the 2 you want to change. Once you get underneath you will easily see which ones i mean

• 3 weeks later...

It does seem common on Lexus's that the bolts etc all seem to rust fairly quickly - don't get that on a merc!!

Lol.... That's because the rest of the Merc dissolves from around the bolts.... But that is ok 'cos the electronics will have failed and the damned thing wont start.

It is always a good idea to never re use safety critical bolts once removed and to tighten them to the correct torque... If the ball joint had been replaced in the past, then perhaps the bolts had been weakened or over tightened.

first ive heard of this happening,

to be honest the Toyota bolts, from experiance fair alot better than most manufacturers.

id be more inclined to say that at sometime in the past the front ball joints have bee replaced, and the bolts have been either...over torqued, and there fore stretched, or not torqued enough

id be more inclined to say that at sometime in the past the front ball joints have bee replaced, and the bolts have been either...over torqued, and there fore stretched, or not torqued enough

Ditto the above

So this is a bolt, which connects the lower ball joint to the hub, right? Does the bolt come with the ball joint? It could be the risk of using an aftermarket ball joint, which probably doesn't match the quality of the OEM unit :)