Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Level Warning Light

I bought a 2002 RX300 in february (c.54000 on the clock), no problems except that on the first serious outing on the motorway we kept having the engine oil level warning light (amber) come on. We ended up putting about 3 litres of oil into the engine over a 600 mile trip but when we took the vehicle into our Lexus dealer they found no leaks and, apparently, no problem. SInce then I've found the light comes on intermittently when driving at speeds over 60 mph, often when we hit an incline or decline, but then goes off again when we decelerate. Has anyone experienced this? Is it just a hypersensitive sensor?

Could be a faulty sensor - when was the last time the car was serviced and have you physically checked the oil level consistently over a period of time?

Yes, we have checked the oil level regularly and it has never been under the minimum level. I guess my worry is that, being a complete dolt when it comes to mechanical things, I am transfixed, like the donkey stuck betweeen two equal heaps of carrots, between Lexus's injunctions not to let the oil get too low but also not to let it be too high!

Well its always worth checking the obvious and do what you can and save money first :)

If oil is OK, and is consistently checking OK, then it could be a sensor fault or...could be an electrical gremlin interfering with the sensor and what it is reporting.

I appreciate this is a Lexus forum, but when I had my [beloved] PUG 205 GTi, it was notorious for flashing the low coolant light on acceleration above 50MPH. That was electrical related and down to the fact the ignition timing would interfere with the sensor ;) OK so we're not in the same league, but if a wire has come loose or protective rubber casing has rubbed away then you might get the kind of symptoms you are describing.

Just trying to be helpful :)

• 9 years later...

im having a similar problem,  once started the car after 30 seconds oil light comes on and message saying low oil level the level is above mininmum and I had the oil and filter done last week to see if this would solve the problem now my question is is there a oil sensor 

25 minutes ago, nuggs77 said:

im having a similar problem,  once started the car after 30 seconds oil light comes on and message saying low oil level the level is above mininmum and I had the oil and filter done last week to see if this would solve the problem now my question is is there a oil sensor 

There's an oil pressure switch rather than a 'sensor':

2019-09-14.thumb.png.8851d41c7f55ef62bcaf5c817309b7d7.png653018385_2019-09-14(1).thumb.png.946d55e2b5a05ff0366ef79e1d39c9c2.png

If your having to put 3 Litres of oil in over 600 miles you have either a oil leak (which has been ruled out by some garage ) then my dear Watson the only other reason is your car is burning oil more likely valve stem seals or hopefully not the rings .you will need to get a friend to follow you in another car and check sitting in traffic idling then pull away nomally valve stems and seals worn. When driving at say 60-70 then let off throttle with smoke on over run normally rings worn .spark plugs will be splattered with oil residue .Or if no smoke is present you have had your car oil level under filled by the idiot who did the oil change .remember if you didn't do it yourself then don't trust it was done right .

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lager shandy said:

If your having to put 3 Litres of oil in over 600 miles

He isn't. 

Unfortunately @nuggs77 just tagged on to the end of this topic instead of starting his own. The guy using 3 litres over 600 miles is the original poster from nine years ago.

@nuggs77 it's going to be either the pressure switch going faulty or the oil pump failing to produce enough pressure.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links