Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Paint

Mossyn

Good day all

As the weather is playing a blinder at the mo and......I'm having a funny turn.

I was thinking about re-painting/spraying my wheels myself.

They were done prior to me buying the car about 4 1/2 years ago, but I think it was only a quickie job as they are flaking again quite badly.

I know the IS had a problem with the material used on the wheels which caused them to corrode, so, on that basis, has anybody got any suggestions as to what primer/paint would be best to use.

Thanks in advance

Mossy

Good day all

As the weather is playing a blinder at the mo and......I'm having a funny turn.

I was thinking about re-painting/spraying my wheels myself.

They were done prior to me buying the car about 4 1/2 years ago, but I think it was only a quickie job as they are flaking again quite badly.

I know the IS had a problem with the material used on the wheels which caused them to corrode, so, on that basis, has anybody got any suggestions as to what primer/paint would be best to use.

Thanks in advance

Mossy

I started off by buying sprays and laqs from Halfords, it was OK but not great, however over the past couple of years I have used

Plasti Kote Fast dry enamel Silver B30 (you can get it at some DIY or off ebay).

I sand off the wheels, not much just to level the bubbles, and then wash the wheels, fully dry then 2 coats of the above. It drys even and without brush marks, and the finish is a subtle eggshell silver that reflects the light. I reckon all in it costs about £1 to £2 a wheel, and now i have a few coats on I do it once a year.

To finish off I black the tyres and stand back...by the way I do all this on the car

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the prompt reply Janet

Will certainly look into that stuff.

I refurbished the alloys on my Corrado VR6....I used primer from Hlafords and Wurth silver and Wurth Lacquer.....preparation is the key.

The results were pretty good with plenty of people thinking they had been done professionally.

however for the amount of time, effort and money I spent i'd prob just bite the bullet and get somebody to do them

I refurbed my mates alloys a few weeks ago and painted them white. Its easy enough to do but prep is defo the key feature. Also its alot easier with the tyres off. I used cheap primer and then holts paint and then got the laquer and hardener from the local autoparts centre (this is quite expensive compared to laquer in a rattle can but gives a much better result)

IMG00024-20100403-1755.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links