Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

Firstly please let me apologise for any bad spelling as I'm on an Iphone and have my six month old boy on my lap!

Anyway Im on holiday in Cornwall and drove down from Sheffield in my IS200 sportcross. I bought it fom Montys, a Lexus dealer in Sheffield nearly a year ago and have been very happy with it. Not a fault in a year and I took my car to lexus for an interim service which cost £183 which is cheaper than my wifes Honda jazz!

I have realised for a while now that it's probably a bit small for us as a family. We run, walk etc when we go away which can be twice a month, plus now with pushchair and associated baby stuff. When I did have it serviced my loan car was a brand new IS220d. I liked it, more refined obviously, but I thought visability was poor and the boot on the small side. I have been told a New IS estate is soon to be anounced...

So I would like an LS but do you think a full history car on an 01 plate would make a good buy? On autotrader now there is an 01, 1 owner , full history with 79k at £6200. If a straight car that's a bargain, no?

Also I see several Lexus dealers have approved 01 plates with reasonable mileage at under 8k. I suppose there must be far more to go wrong with an Ls as opposed to the Is but does anyone have experience of going from Is to Ls, if so have your day to day running costs been far higher. Petrol I guess will be the biggest factor though the Is is hardly economical. Also I only do about 8k a year, driving from Sheffield to Matlock via Chatsworth once a week and upto the lakes twice a month. For towndriving I use the Honda Jazz.

Until the lexus I'd had 3 Alfa 166 in a row and I am tempted by a V6, I love the marque and history but a 166 has a lot of issues, or maybe a Bmw 735 V8 sport. Different cars but they both really appeal. The 166 V6 has a great engine but it's actually slower and less economical than the 430!

However head says Lexus. I have a lot more questions but I think I need to drive one first. I could buy a GS but the boot is a strange shape. I did post a similar request well over a year ago but having owned a lexus i feel I know a bit more about the cars.

On the run down I reckon I'm getting 35 to the gallon doing a steady 70 - 80. What could I achieve in a 430?

Your thoughts and advice wouldne most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nick

i have also been toying with the idea of a 400/430 having recently sat in a few - you have to say the levels of comfort are amazing - for me its a bit early to make that jump as limited by insurance but i think ved/tax is something worth looking into before you buy also - i have to say that all the 430 owners i have met love their cars to bits despite running costs so it really depends on the size of your pockets i guess

I've had my LS430 for a couple of years now and I absolutly love it. I went from a 2001 GS300SE and have never looked back. (I'm so glad it never sold by the way :D )

The first thing you have to consider is that even though mine has ran like clockwork, and even though I have extended the warrenty, it has only been wear and tear items that have been replaced, it's going to cost more to run than your IS200. Most of the time my LS is driven like a district nurse and I'm averaging 22MPG at the moment. It will do 27 to 28 mpg on a motorway run though. Also bear in mind if you run the tank down to empty, it's now £100 to brim it with standard unleaded.

In terms of servicing, so long as you keep on top of it, you shouldn't have any nasty suprises.

It's not a very practicle car though. The back seats don't fold down at all. My Nissan Micra driving school car is more versatile.

The plus side, you would not have seen build quality like this before. My LS makes my old GS feel quite ropey. The 4.3 litre V8 is as quiet as a mouse, untill you give it an absolute bootfull. Don't let the 2 tonnes put you off. These things will get up and shift like you would not believe. Remember, they are limited to 155mph. However, they don't like stopping and it will not handle as well as your IS. It like to be treated gently through the bends.

In my opinion, it's the best car out there for the money and I have not regrtetted one second of ownership.

Hope this helps.

Jim.

cheers jim - ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thats one of the 430s i sat in - how comfy cant quite be explained-i didnt want to stay in it too long as i could of got overattached to it and jims bigger then me

i bought a new 2002 is200 se had it 3 years and loved it, then part exed it for a new honda type r ( must have been mental ! ) hated everything about it and the only toys it had were air con and electric windows!, so decided that next car would have as many toys on it as i could find - hello 2002 ls430.

its completely different to the IS though, the IS was good around the twisty bits and more of a drivers car, although it could have done with a bit more poke. the LS is the other way round, its like poo off a shiny shovel in a straight line, but youve got to get it slowed right down for the twistys, as 2 tons doesnt like to change direction quickly.

The LS needs to be driven differently, but you will find that as soon as you start driving it, you will want to drive it differently. its a much more chilled out car to drive, and if you thought your IS had plenty of gadgets as standard, its got nothing in comparison.

i would suggest a test drive to see if you like how it feels to drive, if you like it then i guarantee you will be pleased with the car, if you dont like how it drives then get something else

hope this helps

andy

PS im now on my 2nd LS, a MK2 this time, and i wouldnt have any other car at the moment

Hi

Firstly please let me apologise for any bad spelling as I'm on an iPhone and have my six month old boy on my lap!

Anyway Im on holiday in Cornwall and drove down from Sheffield in my IS200 sportcross. I bought it fom Montys, a Lexus dealer in Sheffield nearly a year ago and have been very happy with it. Not a fault in a year and I took my car to lexus for an interim service which cost £183 which is cheaper than my wifes Honda jazz!

I have realised for a while now that it's probably a bit small for us as a family. We run, walk etc when we go away which can be twice a month, plus now with pushchair and associated baby stuff. When I did have it serviced my loan car was a brand new IS220d. I liked it, more refined obviously, but I thought visability was poor and the boot on the small side. I have been told a New IS estate is soon to be anounced...

So I would like an LS but do you think a full history car on an 01 plate would make a good buy? On autotrader now there is an 01, 1 owner , full history with 79k at £6200. If a straight car that's a bargain, no?

Also I see several Lexus dealers have approved 01 plates with reasonable mileage at under 8k. I suppose there must be far more to go wrong with an Ls as opposed to the Is but does anyone have experience of going from Is to Ls, if so have your day to day running costs been far higher. Petrol I guess will be the biggest factor though the Is is hardly economical. Also I only do about 8k a year, driving from Sheffield to Matlock via Chatsworth once a week and upto the lakes twice a month. For towndriving I use the Honda Jazz.

Until the lexus I'd had 3 Alfa 166 in a row and I am tempted by a V6, I love the marque and history but a 166 has a lot of issues, or maybe a Bmw 735 V8 sport. Different cars but they both really appeal. The 166 V6 has a great engine but it's actually slower and less economical than the 430!

However head says Lexus. I have a lot more questions but I think I need to drive one first. I could buy a GS but the boot is a strange shape. I did post a similar request well over a year ago but having owned a lexus i feel I know a bit more about the cars.

On the run down I reckon I'm getting 35 to the gallon doing a steady 70 - 80. What could I achieve in a 430?

Your thoughts and advice wouldne most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nick

If you want a great car and few bills and supreme comfort and comparative economy then why not go for a cash saving older LS400 with a very low mileage ....... they are about at just about " no money " . and will give you the oomph and space and comfort that's second to none.

It will last you for ever ( if you wanted ) ........... my 94 LS 400 ( my second LS in 8 years mind you ) does an average 22/23 mpg but on a good run at 70 - 80mph it does return 30.4 mpg !

Handling in ice and snow, well, it's a two tonne rear wheel drive auto and a bit of a monster for that but, like you say, as quick and as fast as you would want any family car to be from a satnding start.

And you can throw it through the bends and corners too ............. but I wouldn't !

Make your mind up, save a shed load of money and buy the best of the oldies that's around. You won't regret it.

Malc

The LS needs to be driven differently, but you will find that as soon as you start driving it, you will want to drive it differently. its a much more chilled out car to drive, and if you thought your IS had plenty of gadgets as standard, its got nothing in comparison.

This is so true, my LS400 has been in garage getting arms done for MOT this last week i've been driving my wifes Seat and i keep hooning it round the roundabouts at work and generally caneing it, where as when i'm in the Lexus it soothes my instinct for racing around and cruise down the road listeing to the stereo very loudly whilst playing with the other toys :lol:

Although i had my mate in it week before last and he said "i don't think anyone can get round this roundabout at more then 40mph" I promptly chucked the car in at 46mph and switched the direction of momentum on the exit while he had a very stunned look on his face (he owns an MG ZT 1.8 turbo which he thinks is the best thing since sliced bread for the cash he paid (£2500-3000)) So they can do bends but you need to know what your doing considering the weight but they do have the grip (tyres are 225/55/17 on mine and bigger on LS430's) Handling isn't the same as grip, Stirling Moss thinks the Jaguar D-type he drove in 1954 Le Mans was the best handling car he's ever driven, but nowhere near the grip later ones had.

Thanks for your replys!

I'm back off holiday now and after a 1200 mile round trip the IS performed perfectly. Yes I guess on the twisty bits The IS will handle better, but i think I want comfort over outright handling and a lot of miles covered with ease in one go. I went to look at a nearby LS this afternoon. The LS is a huge car...... Does it shrink a little when you drive it?

Malc, i think the ides of a Ls400 is a good but the 430 is probably the way I would swing.

I think all I have to do justify is the MPG, the sheer size and the fact I dont have a garage only on street parking. This is a strange issue for me as I know this will sound odd, but I know most people on the street, it's a green area and I will no doubt have to justify a 4.3Lt engine.. strange but true. (I would have the biggest engine on the street!!)

Also I may look at an 01 plate LS at Lexus Coventry, 87K for £8000, one owner with one year warranty. What do you think, to me it represents awsome value for such a car, but I note a member on the forum couldn't shift his 01 plate for £4500. That said I think they will give me a good trade in for mine. Once i've bought it though thats it, it will be worth peanuts immediately. There is a 01 for £6200, but I called the dealer and hes has no logbook for it and so on..... Better full history and warranty, no?

Nick

Thanks for your replys!

I'm back off holiday now and after a 1200 mile round trip the IS performed perfectly. Yes I guess on the twisty bits The IS will handle better, but i think I want comfort over outright handling and a lot of miles covered with ease in one go. I went to look at a nearby LS this afternoon. The LS is a huge car...... Does it shrink a little when you drive it?

Malc, i think the ides of a Ls400 is a good but the 430 is probably the way I would swing.

I think all I have to do justify is the MPG, the sheer size and the fact I dont have a garage only on street parking. This is a strange issue for me as I know this will sound odd, but I know most people on the street, it's a green area and I will no doubt have to justify a 4.3Lt engine.. strange but true. (I would have the biggest engine on the street!!)

Also I may look at an 01 plate LS at Lexus Coventry, 87K for £8000, one owner with one year warranty. What do you think, to me it represents awsome value for such a car, but I note a member on the forum couldn't shift his 01 plate for £4500. That said I think they will give me a good trade in for mine. Once i've bought it though thats it, it will be worth peanuts immediately. There is a 01 for £6200, but I called the dealer and hes has no logbook for it and so on..... Better full history and warranty, no?

Nick

You could get it converted to lpg that would solve the mpg / green issues. I was in the same boat with my ls400, best move ive made getting it gassed.

Thanks for your replys!

Nick

You could get it converted to lpg that would solve the mpg / green issues. I was in the same boat with my ls400, best move ive made getting it gassed.

LPG, not sure... as I only do 8 - 10K a year, so would take a while to get the outlay back. It would affect any warranty I get for sure. It's funny that the Alfa 166 V6 has slightly less MPG quoted and this wasn't an issue and I'm not sure why.

Thanks for your replys!

Nick

I wouuldn't think you need to pay anywhere nesr that money for an 01 plate car !

They should be as cheap as chips notwithstanding the cost new.

Take care with too many gizmos and their malfunctioning on newer models ........... are they really worth the trouble ?

I understand that, for example, a headlight bulb change on the 430 costs an arm and a leg too ........... just enquire, you might have a shock !

Happy hunting .......... my '94 LS400 should last me for donkeys years I reckon ( and hope ). Bugger the cost of fuel ........... aaaaaggggghhhhhhhh

Malc

Thanks for your replys!

Nick

LPG, not sure... as I only do 8 - 10K a year, so would take a while to get the outlay back. It would affect any warranty I get for sure. It's funny that the Alfa 166 V6 has slightly less MPG quoted and this wasn't an issue and I'm not sure why.

It would take you 2 years at present prices to recoupe the money + your car would have a higher resale value, it may only effect the warranty engine wise ( dont quote me on that though) my mate just picked up a near mint 2001 430 for £5k with 125k on it mind you mark 4 ls400s are going for £2k now ( bargain of the decade me thinks) good luck & keep us posted ta Mark

I bought the LS400 when our daughter was 3 months old - Great car but it was a bad move. We had a Range Rover before and going from something with this level of flexibility to a 3 box saloon was, in hindsight, madness.

The Lexus is not flexible (nor was it ever designed to be) for the usual paraphernalia of pushchairs, travel cots, sterilisers, high chairs etc. etc. that you need when taking on holiday.

The LS is also horrific in the snow and ice - to the point that I shelled out on a cheappie 4x4 just for the winter months. The fact is that I still have it as it just suits the whole family lifestyle and can cope with all the luggage and tat that you throw at it.

The LS was never designed as a family car so I am not knocking the product in any way - Don't do it, it really doesn't work. I have some comical pictures of the LS before we left for a weekend (yes just a weekend!) in center parcs. I even had things on my lap, the journey was misery for all concerned.

Hi Nick,

My comments on my move from a Polo (Yes, a Polo!) to a 2001 (51 plate) LS430.

I bought one last year and it's simply fantastic! 110k'ish miles and is like it's out of the factory.

When I bought it, there were a few issues which I planned to sort out, as I like my cars to be mint. Factory fit parking sensors were not working on the rear, and it had a small dent on the wheel arch on the front and a few of little "shopping trolly style" marks around that car, which I guess isn't unusual for a 9 year old car. Unfortunately I've only had time to fix the alloys as work has been in the way, plus the miserable winter weather means I didn't get out on it as much as I'd have liked.

The alloy wheels were terribly corroded so I had those redone professionally, and had new tyres fitted to the front too (it has new ones on the rear when I bought it). The 2001 Sat nav dvd was out of date so I purchased a 2008 DVD from a chap here, but really, I can't see much difference, I guess I only ever visit established places.

I don't drive it as much as I'd like to but when I do it's amazing. It's quiet, comfortable, has plenty of toys to keep me amused (who ever thought of those air vents that move!) I've actually hit over 30mpg (30.1 to be exact) average trip when going to and from work (80 mile round trip 90% M1) But averaged about 25mpg which I think is brilliant. Hit the "pwr" button and put your foot down and it's like a rocket ship. The "Mark Levinson" stereo is really very good indeed.

Unfortunately it's now for sale (or will be when I get around to typing an advert which I am stuggling to do) as my girlfriend won't drive it because it's too big for her. So, back to smaller cars for now. I think I'm going to lose friends over this as all my mates love piling into my car when we go anywhere. They recline the rear seats, put the massager on and have a nap. I feel like a bleeding chauffer haha.

I bought the LS400 when our daughter was 3 months old - Great car but it was a bad move. We had a Range Rover before and going from something with this level of flexibility to a 3 box saloon was, in hindsight, madness.

The Lexus is not flexible (nor was it ever designed to be) for the usual paraphernalia of pushchairs, travel cots, sterilisers, high chairs etc. etc. that you need when taking on holiday.

The LS is also horrific in the snow and ice - to the point that I shelled out on a cheappie 4x4 just for the winter months. The fact is that I still have it as it just suits the whole family lifestyle and can cope with all the luggage and tat that you throw at it.

The LS was never designed as a family car so I am not knocking the product in any way - Don't do it, it really doesn't work. I have some comical pictures of the LS before we left for a weekend (yes just a weekend!) in center parcs. I even had things on my lap, the journey was misery for all concerned.

The amount of gubbins required for small kiddies is astounding and last year we went away for a week and the entire car & boot were jam-packed. However, the amount of paraphernalia reduces as they get older, mind. For example, a push-chair is a big space-stealer which won't be needed forever. I still consider the car an excellent Alternative People Carrier.

I share the view that a low-ish milage Ser 4 would do just as well, and many regard it as the epitome of the LS series. And at circa £4K it'll save you a lot for no problems.The 430 has some issues including a worse ride.

But you may just need Subaru Forester really?

My LS for sale soon?

I agree as time goes on there is certainly less to carry - She is nearing 3 now so we have swapped the pushchair for a trike!! I think the pushchair was easier to load - lol

MIQ - I'm often passing your place. Happy to pick you up for a whizz around the block.

I carried most of that stuff for my son in my LS400 with no problem, maybe you had ones which where a touch large? :lol:

Seriously though i know what you mean can't carry anythign long as seats don't fold down and the boot isn't that big for such a massive car.

As someone else said, the older they get the less stuff you need, we're down to a changing bag and a pushchair if theres a lot of walking to be done and he's only 16 months old.

I carried most of that stuff for my son in my LS400 with no problem, maybe you had ones which where a touch large? :lol:

Seriously though i know what you mean can't carry anythign long as seats don't fold down and the boot isn't that big for such a massive car.

As someone else said, the older they get the less stuff you need, we're down to a changing bag and a pushchair if theres a lot of walking to be done and he's only 16 months old.

Then at the other end of the spectrum ...................... the boot takes a folded wheelchair with ease ............... not many cars boots can achieve that these days ............ so it's good to accommodate aged parents stuff too !! And the supreme comfort and the exhilaration for them when it pops into PWR mode.

And the hatchback we have too with folding down rear seats etc AND great fuel economy makes for that " normal " useage ................... yuk ......... much prefer my Lexus LS400.

Malc

Well I'm not sure what to do!!! The Sportcross is more practical in a hatchback kind of way, but the boot is still very large in the LS and it's certainly not cramped in the rear like my IS. Now if I can only get over my "embarrassed having the largest car in the street" syndrome then it should be a goer. Incidentally what wre the "known issues" with the 430's ride?

Well I'm not sure what to do!!! The Sportcross is more practical in a hatchback kind of way, but the boot is still very large in the LS and it's certainly not cramped in the rear like my IS. Now if I can only get over my "embarrassed having the largest car in the street" syndrome then it should be a goer. Incidentally what wre the "known issues" with the 430's ride?

Hi having air suspension over rough surfaces when you are going slow springs are suposed to be better on the ride, I went for a drive in my mates 430 last weekend & the ride is superb, I woudnt worry about it as I couldnt say which is smoother my my 400 or his 430 I do know the 430 handles better though. Go for it you wont look back I promise.

Having gone from a MkIV LS400 to an LS430, I'd say the LS430 has a firmer ride but it's still a much smoother ride than most other cars I've driven (including an XJ and a Rolls Royce). What you gain is much better handling as you loose a lot of the wallowy feeling that I think the LS400 has, especially when accelerating from standstill and braking, the whole car feels more controllable. I've even been able to push it a bit on a back road near me with the suspension in sports mode. It's by no means sports car handling, but I can take corners at higher speeds than I would have tried in the LS400.

KEITH.

Still mulling it over. Was black leather a special order? Platinum Ice with black leather would be nice, like my IS. Maybe not quite right for the LS. It seems quite rare on early 430's.

Nick

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links