Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Management Light

hi all, maybe this question has been asked a thousand times on here but can anyone point in the right direction please.

engine man light came on a few weeks ago for no apparent reason, no lack of power,or anything, reset it by disconnecting the neg and re tried again ok for a day or so 20 or 30 miles driving again no light....couple of days later same thing, keep re setting it but it keeps coming back on but car feels and drives normally.

checked what i can under the bonnet, nothing loose ,checked air filter but i dont know where to look next to try and sort this problem out, cant really afford to put diagnostic on her just yet, is there any simple stuff i can do before i have to go down this route????

im not to sure wether i am doin any damgae to the car re setting the ecu all the time and driving with the problem, but light will come on every other day or so with normal driving, any ideas please guys and girls, any help would be gratefully apreciated.

car is is200 sport ,2001,110.000 miles thanks all......... :crybaby:

main dealer should plug it in diagnostics for free - or any garage for a fiver ! you could well be damaging something costly imo

cheers do i have to wait for the light to come back on, before i take it to a diagnostic, i thought by disconnectin the ecu it wipes it off or will the problem code still be on it .....is there a coomon problem on these that causes this to happen is there anyone had the same problem and cured it by doin eg coil pack or something else , thanks for the quick reply dont think my garage would charge me a fiver thou lol, but i will see if i get any tips or guidelines first, but thank you for your help.... :winky:

it could still show a fault without the eml light on but if its happening continuously get it checked with the light on for sure - go to a main dealer,or a fiver max at any garage you drive past-it takes two seconds and they dont even have to open the bonnet

Ye get it in and get it checked out. Possibly something simple like Lambda/oxygen sensor this wont realy affect the way the car runs Although it will probably use slighty more fuel. Theres 3 on the car so will need plugging in to check wich one. If the car is running fine chances are it will be what i call a "periferal" sensor. ONe that doesnt really do much other than keep the green party happy. In its simlpest form all you need if fuel and an spark. The older cars never had any of the sensors there are now and they ran just fine. All the added on sensors litrally are there to make the car run more efficiant and "greener"

main dealer should plug it in diagnostics for free - or any garage for a fiver ! you could well be damaging something costly imo

cheers do i have to wait for the light to come back on, before i take it to a diagnostic, i thought by disconnectin the ecu it wipes it off or will the problem code still be on it .....is there a coomon problem on these that causes this to happen is there anyone had the same problem and cured it by doin eg coil pack or something else , thanks for the quick reply dont think my garage would charge me a fiver thou lol, but i will see if i get any tips or guidelines first, but thank you for your help.... :winky:

The EML light shows a fault in the emissions system. Try you filler cap first; if it's not properly tightened i.e. at least 3 clicks past tight, then fuel could be evaporating and the ECU thinks there's a leak. Might not be the cause but it's cheaper then going to a dealer.

The EML light shows a fault in the emissions system. Try you filler cap first; if it's not properly tightened i.e. at least 3 clicks past tight, then fuel could be evaporating and the ECU thinks there's a leak. Might not be the cause but it's cheaper then going to a dealer.

according to some reviews i have read your local lexus dealer will to a diagnostics check for free

according to some reviews i have read your local lexus dealer will to a diagnostics check for free

thanks all for the responses got car plugged in at work and it was the oxy sensor, didnt pay for anew one got one of a 52 plate lex fitted and reset the light all is well up to now touch wood, and it did'nt even cost me a penny!!!

thanks all for the responses got car plugged in at work and it was the oxy sensor, didnt pay for anew one got one of a 52 plate lex fitted and reset the light all is well up to now touch wood, and it did'nt even cost me a penny!!!

just need some shiny new wheels now sick of lookin on flea bay lol !!!