Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After 3.5y with my car I realised interesting thing.

Driving 140kph on 5th (2600rpm) is more efficient by app. 0.5/100km than using 6th (2000rpm)

I'd say, if you don't go over 160kph, do not use 6th at all.

Driving 140kph on 5th (2600rpm) is more efficient by app. 0.5/100km than using 6th (2000rpm)

Hi Matus

We've been around a long time on this forum...I agree with you..you've really got to experiment with the 220D its unconventional in many repects of driving. I have not tried your method but I'll be doing a long drive 400k+ in two weeks and I'll try it out. I have found that cruise control on my car at least very economical as well. Using it a lot recently and getting great returns.

I have a 220D sport which happily goes into 6th gear @50 mph. If I set the cruise at 70 I get around 42 to 44 mpg. Set it at 80mph and it drops to 36-38mpg (revs are at around 2300rpm).

I have a 220D sport which happily goes into 6th gear @50 mph. If I set the cruise at 70 I get around 42 to 44 mpg. Set it at 80mph and it drops to 36-38mpg (revs are at around 2300rpm).

My advice is not applicaple for sport model with shorter gearbox, of course.

My advice is not applicaple for sport model with shorter gearbox, of course.

still got higher mpg in 6th on mine - keep the revs below 2k and the return always seems to be at least 1 to mpg more than 5th gear

(although you need a clear road - otherwise you'll be in 5th as you go under 65mph)

still got higher mpg in 6th on mine - keep the revs below 2k and the return always seems to be at least 1 to mpg more than 5th gear

(although you need a clear road - otherwise you'll be in 5th as you go under 65mph)

my car doesn't feel well on 6th under 2k, so I don't drive like that. It is even more noisy (deep sound). I don't think it is worth to risk the flywheel (~3000 €)

However if your car goes well on those rews, why not.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I tried out not using 6th gear this morning on my way to work which is about a 25mile commute mainly Motorway and got a steady 48-49mpg doing just under 60mph at about 1700rpm in 5th gear. The same trip yesterday using 6th gear @ 1500rpm doing 65mph got me only 43mpg, so a bit slower for my journey but a decent improvement on my mpg I reckon. I hope this helps.