Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Poor Mpg?

Hi Guys,

I know the is200 is not the best on petrol...but i seem to only be getting 70 miles for every £20 that i put in... is this normal? i mean i dont normnally calculate the whole MPG etc etc.. ive always just put £20 in and judged from that.. and i think 70 miles is a lil ******* ...

am i right or is this normal for everyone else.

ps. this is local non motorway driving and driving as smooth as possible.. changing gears at like 2500 revs..... no heavy footing.

let me know your thoughts guys,

cheers

Izzy

Mine has fully synthetic oil in it but i put some slick 50 fully synth in it and i am staggered at the difference to mpg it makes - its about £25 but i figured the amount of fuel it could save as i do about £60 -£100 pw would be worth it - this is bound to be contraversial but the difference to mpg now especially on a long run is truly staggering - if fuel is hurting i would try it

70/(20/1.2/4.55)=19.11 MPG for local run around

normal mate

Felix

P.S. LEXYNIK what is this slick 50 business? bit more details pls, compare the before and after for me

That does sound a bit low if you're driving sensibly - I don't really get lower than 20mpg out of my auto with a very heavy right foot.

Check your air filter, and try an ECU reset as a first port of call.

That does seem a bit poor...

I consistently get 26-27 mpg, regardless of how heavy a right foot I drive with. I was getting a consistent 24-25 mpg before the 60k service two months ago.

My car's a manual, and my driving is ~70% in town. On motorway runs, my average is ~28 mpg, although I'm sure I could better this somewhat with a lower cruising speed.

that just shows how important to keep on top of your servicing.

twice a year, that's how I do it. costs next to nothing.

25 ish on my Auto, mixed driving

Felix

yep guys i think what i do get is deff lower than the rest of you.. even Auto drivers :crybaby:

I recently had NRG lazer iridium spark plugs changed.. as well as the engine oil (5w30 semi synth) and rear diff oil..

Is it recommended that i:

1) Get ECU reset?

2) Change air filter?

3) will switching to FULLY SYNTHETIC oil help MPG?

4) Any other tips?

appreciate your help fellas :-)

Izzy

yep guys i think what i do get is deff lower than the rest of you.. even Auto drivers :crybaby:

I recently had NRG lazer iridium spark plugs changed.. as well as the engine oil (5w30 semi synth) and rear diff oil..

1) Get ECU reset?

2) Change air filter?

4) Any other tips?

Izzy

First measure your mpg accurately tank brim to tank brim against the odometer. If this still works out poor, reset ECU. Changing the air filter can make a significant difference if it is well clogged, but the oil etc is not going to make a huge difference. The IS 200 was designed over 11 years ago, and the ECU etc gave the best compromise of performance, driveabilty, emissions and longevity that could be achieved with the technology of the times - which looks a bit poor now. Also remember that 6-cylinder engines are inherently silky smooth but have higher friction from the two extra bores than a 4-cylinder engine so will always be less economical. From my experience over an average 20 mpg should be easily achievable and over 30 mpg is virtually impossible.

1) Get ECU reset?

2) Change air filter?

4) Any other tips?

Izzy

First measure your mpg accurately tank brim to tank brim against the odometer. If this still works out poor, reset ECU. Changing the air filter can make a significant difference if it is well clogged, but the oil etc is not going to make a huge difference. The IS 200 was designed over 11 years ago, and the ECU etc gave the best compromise of performance, driveabilty, emissions and longevity that could be achieved with the technology of the times - which looks a bit poor now. Also remember that 6-cylinder engines are inherently silky smooth but have higher friction from the two extra bores than a 4-cylinder engine so will always be less economical. From my experience over an average 20 mpg should be easily achievable and over 30 mpg is virtually impossible.

thank you

ECU reset is pretty straightforward so that would be the first thing I'd try. Checking the air filter is just as simple so have a go at that too - if it's black then that may be the cause :)

If neither of those make a difference then it's worth investigating further but as a first step these are the simplest and cheapest.

Izzy, i get the same as you, i have figured out that i get 20mpg! i think i might get a 3 litre car next because you get more than 20mpg lol

I think its a bit of a PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES take tbh.. 3 litre cars getting more MPG than mine.. its really putting me off the Lex..seriously.. just recently i think the light went on around 65 miles..

65 miles for £20 is CRAP!! arghhhhhhhh im seriously annoyed... as you can prob tell lol

i'd reset the ecu and drive carefully (not that you don't already) as I had a 200 auto and only did short journeys and still got mid 20's mpg,

r u due a service?

is there unnecessary weight in the car at all? stuff in the boot?

do u drive in a lower gear than u need to?

also whats your tyre pressure like?

all these are factors that affect mpg that people sometimes overlook

my 300 does give me better mpg than the 200, I put it down to the extra gear mainly, as I think my 200 sat in 3rd gear at 30 and only went to 4th at around 40, but my 300 seems to be in a higher gear at 30 thus keeping the revs lower, I find much better mpg in the 300 on the m-way than the 200 too

How much is petrol a litre where your at Izzy?? £1.20 a litre in my neck of woods, of your figures at my price thats 19.12 miles to the gallon. I know some places down south are £1.35 a litre that works out at 21.53 miles to gallon.Thats 2 miles to the gallon difrence just on fuel prices at a extra 15 pence per litre.

How much is petrol a litre where your at Izzy?? £1.20 a litre in my neck of woods, of your figures at my price thats 19.12 miles to the gallon. I know some places down south are £1.35 a litre that works out at 21.53 miles to gallon.Thats 2 miles to the gallon difrence just on fuel prices at a extra 15 pence per litre.

I think your calculation's a bit off? I work that to be 17.5mpg @ £1.20/ltr which is really poor fuel economy, I've never had it that bad in my auto. There's definitely a problem if you're driving quite sensibly and still getting those figures..........as Rory says, when was it last serviced?

I also think it's a bit hard to gauge what fuel economy you're doing if you keep short filling it - you need to completely fill the tank and run it to empty and see how many miles you get out of it.

The light comes on when there's still quite a bit of fuel in the tank so it's not the most accurate way of working out what's going on.

im paying £1,19 per litre in asda brighton - izzy it could also be your brakes binding somewhere, a seized caliper maybe ?

calipers are fine.. and im sure the brake are too.. im sure i would have noticed if the brakes were binding..

the car was last serviced 2 months ago...

Engine oil changed,

Spark plugs changed

Gear box oil changed

rear diff oil changed

Air filter was fine..

how do i go about getting a ECU reset? do i need a garage for this or can i do on my own? im guessing you need to connect to a computer.

cheers

how do i go about getting a ECU reset? do i need a garage for this or can i do on my own? im guessing you need to connect to a computer.

Nope, two ways of doing an ECU reset, you have to remove one of the fuses (EFI fuse I think but can't remember) or the way I've done it is to just disconnect the Battery for a few minutes (but remember you'll lose your stereo presets and trip mileage)

ok...

and then just drive calmly for how longer after resetting ECU?

2 weeks?

izzy

Don't drive differently - just drive how you normally drive. You want the car to learn your driving style so that the engine management is adopting the best way to work with you at the wheel :winky: