Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slick 50

I opted to gamble £25 on slick 50 fully synth after a long round trip to longleat recently after using nearly a whole tank to complete the trip whilst driving like miss daisy and using cruise a lot which im not sure is the most economical way to go,i know many people call it snake oil etc but i have always liked slick 50 - on the longleat run i think i got about 330 miles to just over 3/4 tank - nowadays i get about 100-110 miles to each quarter segment on my fuel gauge around town and120-140 ish on a run,im also using the aircon now and enjoying it more as i dont feel like the life is being drained out of my wallet - its not because i cant afford the fuel more that i just felt it shouldnt eat so much without being booted.

Whilst i appreciate i will cop a lot of stick for being suckered into the slick 50 hype etc etc blah blah i have made this post because i am saving fuel appreciably - my car was recently fully serviced at main dealers and running well with all oem oils and plugs etc.

Ideally i wanted to run this a bit longer before posting up so i could get a few more long trips out the way and work out the mpg figures properly but as izzy was asking about mpg i thought id start this thread

The proof of the pudding is in the eating - if anyone else tries it and gets an immediate improvement like i did could they post up please

Also check for yourseolves if you feel its compatable with your car-dont take my word for it

are you saying you can get 400+ for the tank mate??????

My baby returns me 350 MAX for the full tank on motorway runs.

will look into this.....

anyone has any experience on this?

Felix

never run mine down much below the last quarter felix-never seen the fuel light i presume they have one - i always brim the tank on fill ups and refill on a monday or whenever it gets near a quarter tank if needed ie after long journeys - i figured for the £25 it costs if it saves me 10 percent on fuel it pays for itself in a month - it made such a difference on mine

thanks for that mate, which slick 50 did you use? add a link if you can pls,

I had a look on the slick50 website, got bit confused...... he he he he

Felix

felix i got mine in Halfords - they do stuff for all round the car but the one i refer to is the engine oil additive - i know i have fully synthetic oil in mine so i used the one for fully synthetic oil - HERE is the stuff at the price i paid i think but the picture and description is not very clear

I'm currently getting about 370-400 miles out of a tank in my driving (70% dual carriageway, 30% town) but any improvement is always worth considering. These figures are using V Power though which I find gives me slightly better fuel economy.

What exactly is slick50 and what do you do with it? Sorry for the dumb questions but no idea what it is :blush:

Sorry, I don't think stuff like Slick50 works- best to service your car regularly using quality parts. Doing this will achieve better mpg.

I can manage 450 miles out of a full tank on a motorway run @70 mph. I regularly drive from Leeds to Glasgow and I get 450 miles out of a tank.

Edit: I've also got a K&N filter- not saying this improves mpg, I only fitted it as you can wash it and reuse it for 100k/10 years (longlife filter).

Edited by kam05

well mines full service history with lexus and all oem - you wont upset anyone by saying its a gimmick and im sure you wont be the last but i have used it regularly on all sorts of cars - it has made the biggest most noticable difference on this one with the mpg - any improvement on these thirsty little critters is welcome in my book

tell you what guys, I will put myself forward to be the ginnypig

shame my last service (60K one) was only 4 month ago, when I do my next service, I will put it in to the oil, and give a month or so, I will report back to your guys.

I am keeping a very detailed log of everything happening to my IS, and MPG after each fill-up from day one.

Felix

Mine is standard apart from K&N filter and don't have to try very hard to get 35mpg + on 200 mile runs. Around town, 25mpg. I think that the IS200 engine is at peak efficiency at motorway speeds. Too much throttle below 3000rpm is a big waste if you go by that mpg thingy.

Ken, don't look at the dial on the dash, it doesn't tell you the actual MPG.

I just worked out my average for the first 4 months this year is 23.94 MPG. (mixed driving)

I am happy with it anyway. An IS is not about MPG, it's about your enjoyment. (Not having a go on you here.)

If people going on and on about their MPG, go to get a Diesel focus.

I still will do the Slick50 thing for my next service, as I wanted to know if it is a gimmick.

Felix

lmao-felix you do moniter your fuel consumption very scrupulously-ideal test bed-tbh i would not have mentioned it if the results of better mpg hadnt impressed me so much-just trying to help others save a few quid

he he he....... lexynik mate,

I believe you. I have seen those ads on those shopping channels back to even 90s, never bothered to try them, now it's an idea time, I will give it a go.

Felix

aah in that case mate just to err on the safe side i really wouldnt put slick50 in your car without checking with your lpg installers as to warranty etc - you wouldnt want to invalidate anything im sure.

Thats quite a brave conversion to do on a 200 as you hear many stories of the engine being somewhat incompatable in the long term-you must be planning on keeping it a fair while to recoup costs im guessing let alone save anything,was it expensive to have put in ?

yes, mate, you are right, I will check with my installer, which I don't think they will have issues with that.

I am bit "Green" person, and I had all my family cars done (5 of them, even the one cleaner/house keeper uses, inc the RX Missis uses) and 10 Vans in my London branch (congestion charge reasons). All other branch Vans run on Bio-diesel) only one I had issue with was 8 years ago, that was a BMW Z3. (don't laugh)

Yes, I did hear a lot of stories about the LPG on IS200 bla bla.......... I just love the IS200, not cos I can't afford an IS250, I just love it.

The way I look at is this, if one day the engine did dead on me which I don't think it will, I just get other good 2nd hand engine costs from 400-800, most likely I will get the best one I can get hold of. and stop using LPG on the new engine.

I can see most of my staff all drive "better" or "newer" cars than me, so what.........

Felix

P.S. in my case, as I use the installer to do all my cars/vans, I only paid 1200 cash for the best system suits IS at his cost (normally 2000)

sorry im new to the forum...and have jus purchased an is200 as my first car but everyones saying its going to drink a lot...would i be abl to use this slick 50 in a normal is200 petrol...stupid question i know but if you dnt ask you dnt know...and where would i purchase it from and would i only wait for a service to change it....regards in advance

your is will be shockingly thirsty-ideally renew airfilter/sparkplugs/engine oil etc to get best mpg

Lexus brighton did the cambelt,waterpump and full service including pollen filters ,diff oil,engine oil,coolant and more all fitted for £850 inc vat if that gives you an idea of what main dealer charges.

I would get your car serviced if it needs one using good quality parts as soon as possible if it is due before you stick a can of slick 50 in it imho

Recently serviced my 200 Sport, & used Silkolene fully synth oil. Last week I did a run from Salisbury to north of Glasgow & back, & the car averaged 37mpg. Round town I expect 30mpg. I should stick to the basics 7 avoid gimmicks like Slick50. Service regularly, use good quality oil etc.