Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I know you all like pics so here's a few of my LS460. Amazing colour Caspian Sky, this morning it was white, at lunchtime it was silver and tonight when I took the photos it was a really nice shade of pale blue.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://img687.imageshack.us/img687/873/dscf0058u.th.jpg' alt='dscf0058u.th.jpg'> dscf0089l.th.jpg dscf0088y.th.jpg dscf0060j.th.jpg dscf0061p.th.jpg dscf0064t.th.jpg dscf0066v.th.jpg dscf0069nl.th.jpg dscf0070n.th.jpg dscf0078w.th.jpg dscf0077yi.th.jpg dscf0075j.th.jpg dscf0074q.th.jpg dscf0073r.th.jpg dscf0072u.th.jpg dscf0071um.th.jpg dscf0079j.th.jpg dscf0080m.th.jpg dscf0081y.th.jpg dscf0082l.th.jpg dscf0083sh.th.jpg dscf0084az.th.jpg dscf0085k.th.jpg dscf0090l.th.jpg dscf0086lj.th.jpg dscf0087d.th.jpg

I am pleased you haven't repeated any of the shots.

Is it a straight 460, or an SE, or an SE-L?

I've a mind to go for the base model as it has a larger boot and is rather quicker off the mark. I am sure many of us would be interested in the most striking differences between your 400, your 430 and your new baby.

Looks lovely mate, as you know already I love that colour! Mainly because of the reasons you've stated, it shows so differently under different light.

Looks like an SE-L from the alloys (and the text under the avatar :P ) - imho worth giving up a bit of performance and boot space for all the awesome toys in the SE-L!

I am pleased you haven't repeated any of the shots.

Is it a straight 460, or an SE, or an SE-L?

I've a mind to go for the base model as it has a larger boot and is rather quicker off the mark. I am sure many of us would be interested in the most striking differences between your 400, your 430 and your new baby.

Sorry about so many pics (will get the hang of posting pics one day).

460 SE-L.

Had 2 400's (95 Mark 3 & 99 Mark 4 DHP). The Mark 3 was the first Lexus I had owned and I was amazed at the quality of the car. Previous cars included Scorpios, Omegas and a few MB's.

The Lexus was just in another league. Bought the Mark 4 as soon as I could afford it. DHP model, great for motorways but didn't like the local roads, potholes and all. Sat nav and a sleeker look were the main difference. 430 (one of the last ones made) was just another step up. More toys, glides along the roads, drive for hours and arrive feeling really good.

For sale on eBay, finishes tomorrow night My link. Someone will get a really great car.

460 SE-L just one more step up. Only had it since Tues. Not as comfortable as the others. Sportier feel to it. If being 'quick off the mark' is a concern, than perhaps the LS is really not the model you should go for ( 0 to 60 in 5.7 secs is plenty quick enough for me). Boot is smaller but more than enough for me. I dread to think how long it's going to take to read the manual. So many toys, half of which I will probably only use rarely.

Always gone for the best I could afford, so have started saving for my LS600 ( Dreaming ).

• 1 year later...

You were quite right of course. I eventually ditched the idea of the straight 460 and bought the 460SE. With both 120bhp and four gears more than my LS400 Mk3 it seems awful quick to me, Squire.

Apart from the truly extraordinary quality of all of it (except the lump of polystyrene where the tools are kept), it's the toys that delight. I already don't think I shall ever be happy again owning a car where you cannot just stick the key in your pocket and leave it there.

When Wifey walked back from the local shop this morning and announced they had run out of our normal newspaper, I had to take the new car on an open-road, 10-mile trip to fetch one. It was such a nuisance...

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit.....but I too bought a 460L after running my 96 400 over for 5 years....immedietly noticed increased wind noise....over sensitive brakes....steering vague as if worn

track control arms and steering rack on an old car....jerky [ and far too many ] gearchanges ....especially when cold...stereo not as good...good acceleration but needs higher revs.

all in all the car is noisier...and harder to drive than the series 3 400 I had.....this car has only 10.000 miles on it...my 400 had 203,000 and was noticeably smoother.

I hm trying to Love this car like the 400...but its hard...dont look forward to driving it as much as the 400....

I drove the 460 to Venice recently and wished I was in my old car all the time...

So youre thinkng....sell it and get another 400 ?.... but I dont give up that easy....keep thinking it "must" be a better car....its a 460 for Gods sake....must be " me "

Oh....and it looks Fabulous inside and out.

Whats your Honest opinion over your 400 ?... am I too sensitive to the controls and noise.....or just Nuts ? :whistling:

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit.....but I too bought a 460L after running my 96 400 over for 5 years....immedietly noticed increased wind noise....over sensitive brakes....steering vague as if worn

track control arms and steering rack on an old car....jerky [ and far too many ] gearchanges ....especially when cold...stereo not as good...good acceleration but needs higher revs.

all in all the car is noisier...and harder to drive than the series 3 400 I had.....this car has only 10.000 miles on it...my 400 had 203,000 and was noticeably smoother.

I hm trying to Love this car like the 400...but its hard...dont look forward to driving it as much as the 400....

I drove the 460 to Venice recently and wished I was in my old car all the time...

So youre thinkng....sell it and get another 400 ?.... but I dont give up that easy....keep thinking it "must" be a better car....its a 460 for Gods sake....must be " me "

Oh....and it looks Fabulous inside and out.

Whats your Honest opinion over your 400 ?... am I too sensitive to the controls and noise.....or just Nuts ? :whistling:

Had the LS460 a few days now. Here are some thoughts on it vs my outgoing LS400 (Mk3):

Wind noise. Certainly less, but then my 400 was 15 years old.

Road noise - probably a tiny bit worse than the 400, or maybe not. Hard to say.

Getting more used to gearbox and its double-downchange on kickdown. The kickdown in the 400 was definitely faster, but new car accelerates so strongly once it has decided which ratio to choose that I can forgive its current foible. I understand the transmission may adapt to my driving style - we shall see.

Brakes seem good enough, as does the steering. That I haven't thought about them must mean they are performing just fine - as good as a 400.

Ride. Would be hard to improve on a 400, but it is definitely a bit better.

Stereo noticeably better, even though I thought the 400's was pretty good.

One thing I do not like... On the old car, when manoeuvring in a tight space one could leave the throttle alone and let the car creep on tickover, controlling the 'speed' with the brake pedal. On the new car, if one takes foot off the gas whilst parking, it stops moving and pressing the throttle when you only wanna go forwards a wee bit can be a bit unnerving as the car does a bit of a surge and I have visions of bashing into something.

All in all I think it is quite an improvement.

Are you nuts? No, you cannot be as you drive a Lexus!