Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dvd Error On Is220D

davyd777

Good evening all. Im hoping someone out there can help me with a problem Ive recently encountered. My is220d has just passed its 60k and 3 year old mark (both within a week, spooky) however, at 62k and two weeks past its third birthday the sat nav has stopped working and the screen reads 'check dvd' I took it my Lexus dealer who informed me it was the dvd reader and this would be £1400 to fix, and beacuse it was 'out of warranty' wouldnt help out with the cost. i explained that I had purchased seven new toyotas and two Lexus' previously but the best they would do is reduce the cost to £800.00 and I would still need to pay the labour!! (they wont get my JD power award this year)

Anyway, the disc is in the unit and you can hear it spinning freely, the touch screen for all other functions (audio,a/c etc) works fine, as does the cd changer and dvd player (movies) so its just the additional dvd drive thats apparently not working. Can anyone help me, as I dont want to pay the best part of £1000 for what seems a small fix. could it be the disc?

Please help...

Kind regards :whistling:

Good evening all. Im hoping someone out there can help me with a problem Ive recently encountered. My is220d has just passed its 60k and 3 year old mark (both within a week, spooky) however, at 62k and two weeks past its third birthday the sat nav has stopped working and the screen reads 'check dvd' I took it my Lexus dealer who informed me it was the dvd reader and this would be £1400 to fix, and beacuse it was 'out of warranty' wouldnt help out with the cost. i explained that I had purchased seven new toyotas and two Lexus' previously but the best they would do is reduce the cost to £800.00 and I would still need to pay the labour!! (they wont get my JD power award this year)

Anyway, the disc is in the unit and you can hear it spinning freely, the touch screen for all other functions (audio,a/c etc) works fine, as does the cd changer and dvd player (movies) so its just the additional dvd drive thats apparently not working. Can anyone help me, as I dont want to pay the best part of £1000 for what seems a small fix. could it be the disc?

Please help...

Kind regards :whistling:

I can certainly help as I have vast personal experience on this!!!! I had what appears to be the same problem. You will need to check the disk tho. Lexus should be able to take one out of their stock cars and test it for you. I tried several and still had the same problem (you can search on my previous posts for the background!).

Anyway, first thing was Lexus sent to bradford, autosound - dont bother, they received the unit then send it back as they dont repair the denso unit. Denso units (which are in the toyotas and lexus) cannot be repaired at all within the UK due to the availability of parts.

At the time this left me with only 2 options, Lexus to replace (they said the whole unit @ £3600) or risk a second hand one. I wasnt happy with either so did some digging.

Denso is based in the netherlands and now offer a Lexus / Toyota repair service. My Lexus garage had not heard of this service although it has been communicated to Toyota Europe. Anyway, I sent Lexus the Denso repair procedure and they handled the return.

It cost 120 quid to send to Netherlands as it needs to be insured using Parcelforce Euro 48 (guaranteed 48 hours although it took 5 days and this was before the volcanic ash!).

Denso identified the problems pretty quick and emailed the following faults:

Broken cable on DVD unit

Faulty ECU

Repair cost 685 euro. I found after this did not include return shipping but they should have quoted with return shipping so I managed to negotiate with Denso and get it returned free.

All the other funtions appeared to work before the unit went off (although couldnt test a the navi as DVD didnt work, also speech recognition didnt appear to work). I was therefore sceptical about the faulty ECU but I have only had the car a month and the NAV has never worked so I guess there could have been a fault with the ECU as well.

Anyway, Lexus have paid the repair on my behalf and its on the way back as we speak. Total cost will be around £800 but as Denso manufacture the unit they are best placed if you want to repair and the work is guaranteed (if you fancy the 120 quid postage again!).

I got the car from an independent garage and pointed out the NAV fault before purchase. They will be covering the £800 for me.

If your car is from a Lexus dealer I would suggest a call to Lexus UK, they should do something as good will. If not, you can try the above process but due to delays in bradford, postage, parts for denso (due to flight bans), it has been a bit of a nightmare! For info, if yours just has a fault DVD (not ECU as well) then the cost is a couple of hundred Euros.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. As ive said, the car was just out of warranty and lexus would only offer a good will gesture of £600 towards the cost of the replacemet, which i think is poor considering the brand reputation etc. anyway, looks like a Tom Tom is the order of the day, and the next car (possibly another Lexus) will be without the built in sat nav if it only lasts three years!

Thanks again.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. As i've said, the car was just out of warranty and lexus would only offer a good will gesture of £600 towards the cost of the replacemet, which i think is poor considering the brand reputation etc. anyway, looks like a Tom Tom is the order of the day, and the next car (possibly another Lexus) will be without the built in sat nav if it only lasts three years!

Thanks again.

It's definately worth trying another disc. just make sure the part numbers are the same. Lexus should be able to do this with a disc from their stock cars.

Alternatively keep an eye out on eBay, a working unit from another car will set you back ~£500+ but you should be able to sell yours as spares. Sure someone has one with a faulty screen etc. Lexus charged me labour of £40 to take out / refit the unit.

Alternatively lodge a request on 247spares.com you may be able to get one cheaper. Its worth getting it done at some point as it will affect resale and its probably very frustrating!

It does appear that this is not a very common problem - at least I couldnt find much out about the issue when it first happened.