Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tappet Type Noise Any Ideas?

sambo86

was wondering if this is normal got a 99 model with 110 on clock going to change oil soon just got work and family commitments at mo just getting at tappet noise like on ford fiestas was wodering if the lex had tappets and if they can be repalaced im no mechanic but im tryin lol any help would be much appriciated :tomato:

• 4 weeks later...

you cant adjust them mate they are oil controled.....but check the injectors as they can get noisey at a higher mileage

You should only get a tappety noise for a couple of seconds when you first start the car...should be smooth and quiet from then on. ..Check your oil level...and also what ormi said about checking its not the injectors getting noisy

I have always found the "tappets" to be a little noisey on the IS. Not quite smoothy silk, but not excessively noisey like an old car either.

If you have a look under lifters here -> http://www.toyodiy.c...EFVKQ_1302.html you'll see they list options for different heights to compensate for wear. On the 3SGE they have different thickness shims which makes more sense. So if yours are getting noisy the only real way to fix it is to have them replaced :( Not a cheap fix I would imagine.

You could try an oil additive like Lucus oil stabiliser in the mean time.

I done an engine flus and oil change the other day, used 5w30 synthetic but it didn't fix the problem, might try 10w40 next see if that helps. The car only has 26k miles but has been sitting in a dealers four court for about a year.

The oil filters a real bitch to get to, had to abandon the job on Friday night, bought this, did the trick.

Yeah mines all tappety as well, got plenty of oil which is pretty clean. Done nearly 6k on it and will change it when i get back from holiday.

I know what you mean, its an annoying noise, but ive got no idea how to try and dampen it. I changed my last oil to 10-40, but that didnt work, so im putting 5-30 back in.

Iain

don't understand why people think changing an oil will stop a tapping noise????????????if your car has no oil yes if the oils fine then no.......

take a can and put it on its side then take a fork and start hitting the can yip it makes noise....now pour some oil on it and start hitting it.......yip it still makes noise.............

OK, I uploaded a clip of the engine running, the quality isn't the best. Anyone any ideas, is it the lifters, injectors, valves?

It sounds allot worse in the clip, but its still very annoying.

• 3 months later...

Mine sounds the same too.

Its a 2001 Se with 82k on the clock and has plenty of oil in it.

It always seems to sound like its coming from the side of the engine with the manifold heat shields.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp, please!!

mine too

2001 SE with 94.000km on the clock.

same pisition.close to manifold like exhaust valves.its sound at the inner engine compartment close to the car body and not to the cooler

One oil change I did, I fitted a pattern oil filter (not to this car) and the tapping on startup was worse and lasted longer. I changed the filter immediately for a Toyota filter - same oil - and the tapping reduced back to 'normal'.

I don't say this is your problem but some referrals above allude to oil changes and this might help there.

I have the same noise. I have just had a head gasket and complete timing kit done on my IS 200. It has around 138000 on the clock.

It is really annoying as it didn't do it before the head went.

The mechanic said that the engine was full of treacle, this was the oil as it wasn't changed for 4 years :(

Not happy with it at all. I have had another mech look at it. He has confirmed that the car should be running quieter, and has said the that there is adjustment in there, but the mech that did the work has said they can be adjusted.

So, has anyone had any luck?

• 4 months later...

My motor has been making the same noise ever since I bought it. Its a 2000 W reg with 142k on the clock and I always keep it maintained but this noise is a little annoying and not really fitting for a car like a Lexus. Anyone have any definitive answers as to what this might be?

• 1 year later...

Has anyone any ideas?. I bought my car last week (then found out it had a blown head gasket) Had that changed and now very 'tappety'. Not how a Lexus is suppoed to sound. Mine does seem worse when hot?. Had regular oil changes and new oil after head went.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread but did anyone find the root cause of this tappety sound? I like some others have just had a head rebuild and new gasket and its quite tappety coming from the exhaust manifold side top of the engine??

Hi all just been reading this thread and it sounds to me like when the cams have been removed to remove the head that the scissor gear has not been locked before removal.when rebuilt the gears rattle against each other.req cam removal and reseting

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Its not the valve clearances that are making the noise its the exhaust to intake cam gears that are rattling due to the scissor gear not having any tension.it cause an immediate problem but it req sorting asap. Shame you aren't near sheffield as we could do it for you! But it will req cams out and scissor gear resetting.its hard to explain but you need to remove cams and twist the cam with the scissor gear on and lock it with a 10mm bolt when the holes line up then refit cams and set up valve timing and rebuild

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links