Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buy Or Not To Buy!?!?!

Now i love my IS200, finally got it to a state i'm happy with B)

However i would like some more power and getting a Supercharger appears to be an expensive option. If not like a game of luck, when trying to get hold of one.

Therefore i'm wondering is it worth "upgrading" to a IS300??? The additions of Cruise control and an Armrest are also quite inviting. However i'm not a fan of Auto boxes, is the IS300 auto box good?? Does the "paddleshift" work well??

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated! Also any good additional features to look out for on a IS300!

Cheers

Now i love my IS200, finally got it to a state i'm happy with B)

However i would like some more power and getting a Supercharger appears to be an expensive option. If not like a game of luck, when trying to get hold of one.

Therefore i'm wondering is it worth "upgrading" to a IS300??? The additions of Cruise control and an Armrest are also quite inviting. However i'm not a fan of Auto boxes, is the IS300 auto box good?? Does the "paddleshift" work well??

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated! Also any good additional features to look out for on a IS300!

Cheers

I already drive an auto so maybe not the best to advise but to me if you can live with the auto the 300 makes a lot more sense than supercharging a 200. I've never had the pleasure of driving one but everyone who has always says how it's a completely different car to the IS200, not just the same one with a bigger engine. It's supposed to be a lot quieter and far more refined - plus all the little extras like full leather, HIDs, auto dimming mirrors, etc to make it an even nicer place to be.

As with all Lexus auto boxes I think it's a good one, but the paddle shift is the type where it allows any gear up to the one selected, so it won't hold that gear and give you full control (if it's in 3rd for example, it means the box can select 1, 2 or 3)

The only way to decide is to take one for a test drive and see if you like it!

definitely worth it, if you prefer an auto. Mpg is not much worse than the is200 when driven sensibly, but has tonnes more pulling power on top of the better spec.

I have just changed from IS200 SE to IS 300 Navigator and would highly recomend it, both mine where auto as that is all I drive but the 300 auto box is streets ahead of the 200 auto box firstly as stated it has the paddle shift on the wheel to control 2-5 (not 1st) and secondly it is 5 speed not 4 speed like the 200 auto box.

It feels initially slower to drive then you look at the speedo and relise how deceptive and smooth the power delivery is, I belive they make about the same power as a supercharged 200 but at 3000 not 5000 rpm. The thing i still love best on my 300 is when i start it up at night and the super brite super white HID headlights scan up and down to find the correct level, you will hate normal headlights after seeing these.

To be fair not alot else is really in your face different but my 200 used to have the front end noises when braking slowly etc i have none of this on the 300 and have not seen much mention of it on here by 300 owners.

The other thing where 300 will beat 200 is in the snow, when i bought mine there was snow on the ground and the 300 is much more able to keep going in a stright line i belive this is the low down torque and the limited slip diff keeping both rear wheels turning instaed of just the 1 as on the 200.

My advice is take you time and if you are unsure walk away and wait for the next one as they do come along fairly regular but you need to be quick, i used to check autotrader every morning and through the day and at the time of me buying there was always about 30 on there.

Change you will not regret it i for 1 have never looked back.

Regards

Russell.

Do it !

They are world's apart, if someone says '..well, it's only a IS200 with a few extras' NO IT IS NOT !!

I drove a IS200 Sport for two years then changed to a IS300 and never regretted it. Have done 100k miles in it and not one fault with it or has never let me down.

Also remember, there aren't many about.

I think the delay in gear change could be less when you put your foot down, doesn't change quite as quickly as i'd like it too, but EVERYTHING about my 300 makes me smile more than my 200

its a no brainer really - i only bought a 200 till my licence clears up in june - why spend thousands and possibly sacrifice reliability to make a 200 perform and feel like a 300 ? its a bit like buying an xr3i and trying to get it to be an rs turbo ! most people who knew a thing or two bought the rs turbo and then made that faster etc

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the responses.. well i'm off tomoz to test drive a couple i found on Auto-trader and i'll let you know how it goes.

i'm gonna be taking my sweet time with this, as i'm reluctant to get rid of my IS200, but if i find a good 300... i'll get it.

Cheers again for the advice it was very helpful and rather persuasive towards the 300. haha

Cheers David

good luck.not that you should need it tbh,having owned a 200 for a while you should feel instantly in tune with the 300 when you test drive them and not be over-awed by finding out where everything is and what it does-as you say take your time there are lots to choose from

Finally got the chance to test drive an IS300 this weekend!

Well... looks like i'm definately gonna be getting one.... just got find one i like

Was well impressed with the smoothness of engine and gearbox, although i'd agree the gear changes can be abit slow. However you never get the chance to properly thrash it in a test drive.

Cheers again for all your advice guys.

Fizix-Whitey who posted earlier in this thread has the most gorgeous top of the range 300 you are likely to find for sale ! might be worth a quick chat

dont buy one they are sh*te lol, nah im only jokin, all the chaps say go for it but im happy with my manual gearbox, i like to put it in whatever gear i feel like at that moment in time, but i would not know much, im a noob and only owned my is200 sport for three weeks but im happy as larry, compared to a nissan micra, my 200 feels to me as smooth as you guys describe the 300 lol

dont buy one they are sh*te lol, nah im only jokin, all the chaps say go for it but im happy with my manual gearbox, i like to put it in whatever gear i feel like at that moment in time, but i would not know much, im a noob and only owned my is200 sport for three weeks but im happy as larry, compared to a nissan micra, my 200 feels to me as smooth as you guys describe the 300 lol

Smokeybaz I driven both and the 300 is so much better thats why it took me so long to buy an IS about 5 years, it was the 300 that made my mind up.

Glad you like your 200 still a very good car

Lee