Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grom Ipod Adapter For Is200

Hi All,

Does anyone have the Grom Ipod adapter installed?

I wanted to know the quality of sound using this kit from the speakers? is this crystal clear like how it should be if a original CD was being played... or is their a reduction in sound quality?

I am intending to buy one very soon.

thanks,

Izzy

I have an aux in, not the ipod one but can also vouch for the quality, it's great, not a huge difference to CD.

In terms of quality it's the iPod that's the weak link as it's sound quality is very poor.

I have an aux in, not the ipod one but can also vouch for the quality, it's great, not a huge difference to CD.

In terms of quality it's the iPod that's the weak link as it's sound quality is very poor.

Agree with Parthiban. I just got an iPod Touch and the Grom kit to fit in the IS200. I replaced the iPod earphones straight away with good Sennheisers and sound quality is still poor. Plugged into the Grom sound quality is the same but a slight tweek of bass mid and treble helps things a little. The Grom is a great bit of kit. Well worth the price.

Agree with Parthiban. I just got an iPod Touch and the Grom kit to fit in the IS200. I replaced the iPod earphones straight away with good Sennheisers and sound quality is still poor. Plugged into the Grom sound quality is the same but a slight tweek of bass mid and treble helps things a little. The Grom is a great bit of kit. Well worth the price.

hi

do you also have an Aux in like parthiban or a proper ipod connection?

Hmmm, that's not good. I got a pair of Klipsch S4s and it made a considerable difference, the sound quality is still not brilliant but it's acceptable.

Unfortunately it is the iPod that's weak here, if I do a direct comparison through my Bluetouch off the iPod or an SD card there is a massive difference in sound quality. So if it's the same with headphones and via the car kit it's the iPod that's at fault and nothing else. I've tried other iPods as well and it's the same issue.

I can't be bothered to get another car kit right now but if I get a car with a USB input then I'll probably get rid of the iPod and get a different music player.

Hmmm, that's not good. I got a pair of Klipsch S4s and it made a considerable difference, the sound quality is still not brilliant but it's acceptable.

Unfortunately it is the iPod that's weak here, if I do a direct comparison through my Bluetouch off the iPod or an SD card there is a massive difference in sound quality. So if it's the same with headphones and via the car kit it's the iPod that's at fault and nothing else. I've tried other iPods as well and it's the same issue.

I can't be bothered to get another car kit right now but if I get a car with a USB input then I'll probably get rid of the iPod and get a different music player.

mate what connection do you have for the ipod? aux or the main connection that plugs into the charge kit at bottom?

im sure the AUX connection gives you lesser sound quality

mate what connection do you have for the ipod? aux or the main connection that plugs into the charge kit at bottom?

im sure the AUX connection gives you lesser sound quality

I've got the aux, but the sound quality off SD card through the same aux is spot on - iPod's just have poor sound quality shown by the fact that even via headphones they aren't great.

Don't get me wrong it doesn't sound like AM radio or anything, it's just a far more noticeable difference from CD quality than it should be.

Ive got the ipod connector grom and its CD like quality

Shahz - i'm assuming if you get CD like quality ..yours must not be the AUX connection but the mains connection.. that plugs into the bottom of the ipod?

i had mine plugged into the main charging connection of the ipod and the quality was fantastic, just like cd, plus if you do that you can control the ipod using the original stereo buttons

Got a GROM kit question and don't wanna start a new thread...

I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.pl/AUX-Auxiliary-adapter-MP3-iPod-for-early-Toyota-Lexus-/170414454252?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CE_MP3Access_RL&hash=item27ad7e35ec#ht_2170wt_827

My question is - will it work with a 2000 IS200 with a bottom loaded changer? I emailed the seller and he replied "Yes this should fit your car although Grom states 2001+ but we have had them working on 2000 models before"

So can anyone confirm if 2001+ is the same as 2000?

Ordering from Poland so don't wanna be stuck with a wrong kit, cause it will probably be hard to return.

if i remember right from when the grom was first found, i dont think it works with bottom loaders. check in the audio section and there is a sticky on the grom, sure it tells u in there

They are different, 2001 will have the top loading headunit. I have a 2000 IS and it worked fine on my bottom loading unit, although there were a few members that had problems with the older unit, so dont take my word for it. For another £10/20 your better of getting the ipod interface rather than the aux, the sound quality will be much better!!

I've read some Grom topics and some guys say that it works just fine on the bottom loaders and some had problems with it. That's what I'm affraid of :/ As I know my luck I'll get the kit, spend an evening to mount it and than it will not work.

SHAHZ do you have 13901 or 13902 head unit? I have a 13902 and read that it doesn't work for some.

P.S. I emailed grom, sent them photo of my cd unit and asked if they can confirm that it will work. Hope they can cause i'm fed up with fixing the changer over and over again and having to listen to FM :/

I've read some Grom topics and some guys say that it works just fine on the bottom loaders and some had problems with it. That's what I'm affraid of :/ As I know my luck I'll get the kit, spend an evening to mount it and than it will not work.

SHAHZ do you have 13901 or 13902 head unit? I have a 13902 and read that it doesn't work for some.

P.S. I emailed grom, sent them photo of my cd unit and asked if they can confirm that it will work. Hope they can cause i'm fed up with fixing the changer over and over again and having to listen to FM :/

just a quick qns about gettin ur changer fixed was this through lexus or someone else sorry slightly off topic but just a quirey :D

yeap ive got the 13902.....well i did have, its no longer in the car!

just a quick qns about gettin ur changer fixed was this through lexus or someone else sorry slightly off topic but just a quirey :D

I was fixing it in a few different places (never at Lexus dealer though, maybe that would have helped but the repair price there is as high as getting a new DIN2 dvd-nav combo)

Does anybody know if if changing from a 13902 to a newer model (a top loader unit) would make the GROM work with satnav. I have a factory installed SatNav but if the satnav is connected grom doesnt work but if I disconnect it works a treat?

I've emailed GROM in US and that's what they replied me: "It will work in Your car since you don't have NAV. British customers might have compatibility problems if they had NAV in

cars. It has not been fixed yet."

i had mine plugged into the main charging connection of the ipod and the quality was fantastic, just like cd, plus if you do that you can control the ipod using the original stereo buttons

I have a grom adaptor but i cant control it through the stereo. Mine doesnt plug into the charging bit. Is this why? and if so is there a cheap solution to resolve this?

Does anybody know if if changing from a 13902 to a newer model (a top loader unit) would make the GROM work with satnav. I have a factory installed SatNav but if the satnav is connected grom doesnt work but if I disconnect it works a treat?

Sonnet, who was the original member that found the grom unit had satnav and it worked fine, its a long thread but you might find it usefull GROM THREAD

I have a grom adaptor but i cant control it through the stereo. Mine doesnt plug into the charging bit. Is this why? and if so is there a cheap solution to resolve this?

Im assuming you connect yours through the headphone socket, which is the aux grom unit, to be able to control the ipod through the HU you would need to ipod interface grom unit (connects to the docking port on ipod)