Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No Keys

Hi Lexusians,

I am in a right hole with this one, I really need help and advice on how to fix this issue, Basically i bought this lexus IS200 X reg from a car auction in York. Unknown to me, i didnt check whether it came with a key, so when the car was delivered today, we discover that it had no keys. I spoke to the auctioneer and they said they have tried contacting the previous owners for the keys and so far nothing. Now apart from the key,i dont know how the engine sounds like or drive. I know i can get the plane key and a fob on eBay, but am unsure what to do next, does anyone know a way of getting the car keys or just for me to even hear the engine running. This is my 1st lexus and clueless on what to do

Many Thanks

Welcome to LOC! I don't mean to be rude but I'm shocked you bought a car that had no key! And unfortunately I'm pretty sure that without a key you will require an all new set of keys, locks and ECU which is somewhere in the region of £1000.

I hope I'm wrong and someone else can correct me, but that's my understanding of it as you need one master key to be able to program another.

I'm not sure if you can get a second hand set from a breakers but that's not going to be particularly cheap either (compared to what you probably paid for the car)

id echo parthibians thoughts to be honest with you but can add i can put you in touch with a scrapyard which has a complete is should you need to source the ecu/lockset second hand - you would however need to strip these parts from the car yourself

See if you can get a 2nd hand lockset, keys and ECU off a crashed IS200. If not, then Lexus will happily extract £2000 from you for new locks, keys, ECU etc.

id echo parthibians thoughts to be honest with you but can add i can put you in touch with a scrapyard which has a complete is should you need to source the ecu/lockset second hand - you would however need to strip these parts from the car yourself

Hi,

Please pass me the details of the scrapyard that has this lockset

i believe i read on this forum before, with the V5 log book and your personal ID, lexus dealer (birmingham) can duplicate the key for you from the database, providing that the locks were factory fitted from new, for a grand total of 120 pounds.

worth asking and find out

plus autolocksmith can also be able to help by cutting a key to the lock but you will have to pay for the immobiliser on the top

hi there and welcome to Loc,its a shame that you bought the car with no keys(how on earth did that happen??)Personally my 1st port of call would be to try lexus as they might be able to find your key number on their database and make you a key - explore all possibilities with them and if that fails,then try a breaker or scrap yard - in doing so I would recommend u make sure the car(u r getting the bits from - locks etc)is the same year and model as yours as they sometimes do not always work or fit each other.Be careful and good luck,hope you keep us informed as to how u get on.

john.

Looking at this thread again, is anyone a bit concerned as to how a car could possibly go through an auction with no key? I've only been to a few, but they always drive the car through the auction don't they? Has this car just moved around on a trailer and no one bothered to check if it had a key? :ohmy:

come to think of it parthibans right,how did the car get through the auction without being driven,or was it one of those breakers auctions???furthermore you would have thought that the auction house would have said it has no keys?.Personally i would also give the auction house some grief and get them to help.Just a bit of advice when buying a lexus is 200/300 sure it has the master key - that is the 3 buttoned FOB so as to avoid heartache.

Yes, I for one wouldn't buy a car without a key- how would you know if the engine/gearbox are any good? Something doesn't add up here?

i believe i read on this forum before, with the V5 log book and your personal ID, lexus dealer (birmingham) can duplicate the key for you from the database, providing that the locks were factory fitted from new, for a grand total of 120 pounds.

plus autolocksmith can also be able to help by cutting a key to the lock but you will have to pay for the immobiliser on the top

Thanks for this great reply, but please doyou know which dealer in Birmingham. £120 if its real is a bargain. The previous owner of the car has not sent the keys. I have not sent the keys to auctioneers despite numerous contacts. I am thinking of driving up to York and asking directly. i am awaiting the logbook from DVLA

Yes, I for one wouldn't buy a car without a key- how would you know if the engine/gearbox are any good? Something doesn't add up here?

yep i know, but in haste i didnt read the notes that came with the auction. But if the worse comes to worse, Look out for my topic as i may decide to break the whole car. But am hoping the owner is away on holiday or something and he will soon send the keys.

hi there and welcome to Loc,its a shame that you bought the car with no keys(how on earth did that happen??)Personally my 1st port of call would be to try lexus as they might be able to find your key number on their database and make you a key - explore all possibilities with them and if that fails,then try a breaker or scrap yard - in doing so I would recommend u make sure the car(u r getting the bits from - locks etc)is the same year and model as yours as they sometimes do not always work or fit each other.Be careful and good luck,hope you keep us informed as to how u get on.

john.

will do, if all else fails , i will scrap the car and hopefully make some money back on it. I hate all these hassle, funny thing is i bought the car with intention of giving it to a friend as a favour.

Looking at this thread again, is anyone a bit concerned as to how a car could possibly go through an auction with no key? I've only been to a few, but they always drive the car through the auction don't they? Has this car just moved around on a trailer and no one bothered to check if it had a key? :ohmy:

its not those kind of auction its a Salvage auction! which i have been buying from for ages, it was just unfortunate this one cuaght me with my guards down.

Hi Lexusians,

I am in a right hole with this one, I really need help and advice on how to fix this issue, Basically i bought this lexus IS200 X reg from a car auction in York. Unknown to me, i didnt check whether it came with a key, so when the car was delivered today, we discover that it had no keys. I spoke to the auctioneer and they said they have tried contacting the previous owners for the keys and so far nothing. Now apart from the key,i dont know how the engine sounds like or drive. I know i can get the plane key and a fob on ebay, but am unsure what to do next, does anyone know a way of getting the car keys or just for me to even hear the engine running. This is my 1st lexus and clueless on what to do

Many Thanks

OMG....! Are you still within the cooling off period after purchasing this at the auction?. If so, take the car back or don't accept it. You're on thin ice here mate. I've been to auctions where thet have sold real lemons, but, buying a car, especially a Lexus without driving it, hearing the engine run, checking accessories blah de blah is just plain chancy at the least. My advice, don't waste your time, just take it back if you can.shutup.gif

Col

Hi Lexusians,

I am in a right hole with this one, I really need help and advice on how to fix this issue, Basically i bought this lexus IS200 X reg from a car auction in York. Unknown to me, i didnt check whether it came with a key, so when the car was delivered today, we discover that it had no keys. I spoke to the auctioneer and they said they have tried contacting the previous owners for the keys and so far nothing. Now apart from the key,i dont know how the engine sounds like or drive. I know i can get the plane key and a fob on ebay, but am unsure what to do next, does anyone know a way of getting the car keys or just for me to even hear the engine running. This is my 1st lexus and clueless on what to do

Many Thanks

OMG....! Are you still within the cooling off period after purchasing this at the auction?. If so, take the car back or don't accept it. You're on thin ice here mate. I've been to auctions where thet have sold real lemons, but, buying a car, especially a Lexus without driving it, hearing the engine run, checking accessories blah de blah is just plain chancy at the least. My advice, don't waste your time, just take it back if you can.shutup.gif

Col

Sorry, read the other threads properly..... I withdraw my comments. Good luck with this.

Col

Thanks for this great reply, but please doyou know which dealer in Birmingham. £120 if its real is a bargain. The previous owner of the car has not sent the keys. I have not sent the keys to auctioneers despite numerous contacts. I am thinking of driving up to York and asking directly. i am awaiting the logbook from DVLA

im not sure which dealer in birmingham as i have only come across it on this forum under one of the 'new key' threads. but as the other member said he was quoted 140 from his local dealer, so the price shouldnt vary much, i would say try ring up a few dealers that are close to you and haggle. good luck buddy!

The price for the new key should be pretty much the same from any Lexus dealer but unfortunatley you would still need either a new ECU or the 3 button key remote and ecu from a breakers yard to get the car going as the new key does not come preprogrammed.

i couldnt find the old thread but only this, hope it helps

also try calling local auto locksmith, some may be able to flush the ECU and programme your new key

Hi Lexusians,

Many Thanks

ok guys,

i have managed to find a complete lock set on eBay, i ahev also taken off the key barrel, and got to the plastic bit where it send signals to the ECU, i used the screw to turn it to try and see if the car would start, am glad to say, the mileage is only 60kmiles, but downside is all the lights came on but the car wouldnt start, i presume its the immobilizer doing what its suppose to do, is there a way of bypassing it just to hear the engine sound, whilst i waitr for the locks & keys to arrive, and also i would like to know the location of the ECU that controls the immobiliser.

Cheers, thanks for all those who pm me.

much obliged

:)Just want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me and contributed to this query, I found a set of keys, locks and ECU on eBay. I was a bit worried as to the condition of the locks but God has really helped me on this one. I installed the keys myself and car sounded beautiful, The gear box is excellent and everything seems ok, but the brakes might need bleeding as it feels its grinding. Now to move unto finding OS front door and wing in colour green? Does anyone know any been broken and can deliver to CM11 area.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,

i have got my lexus is200 running, i got the full lock set on eBay and it works a treat, the only drag now is the central locking, I have been reading forums based on Central locking and all am seeing is for the 3buuton fob key. The key i got is only 2 button which starts the car and unlock the door. Does anyone have the synching guide for the 2 Fob key or do i have to buy one . Also could it be the fuses? The 2 button key fob lights comes on so i know the Battery is ok. SO i need a guide on resycnhing the 2button key fob