Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Please Idle Properly!

Lionboy

Hi guys,

recently bought my altezza rs200 turbo conversion.

1. It idles just under 2000 revs in town, sometimes bobbing up and down between 1000-2000 rpm

2. When you first start it in the morning it doesnt idle, just cuts out. You have to keep the revs up for a minute or two.

My mechaninc reckons theres a problem with the electric accelorator motor???

anyone any ideas?

Hi mate i would give the MAF sensor a clear first as they get covered in oil which stops them working properley. You only need some contact cleaner and about 10 minutes.Its the square box on the front of the air box and is held on with two screws, hope this helps.

I'd definitly start with a MAF clean Also give the throttle body a good clean as there is a sensor in there the effects the idle when dirty. Let us know how you get on after that.

Another less common issue/fault they have is with the TPS (throttle position sensor) which is on the side of the throttle body. Sometime all it needs is adjusting otherwise a new one.

A surging idle is usually caused by a faulty EFI water temp sensor on most cars. I've never struck this issue on a Altezza though but might be worth looking at if the a fore mentioned doesn't fix it.

Ignore that last one mate, seen ur links, thanks, very helful info. I'll probably be selling the car soon so want it running good.

how come you will be selling it soon mate ? i thought youd just bought it !

I'm fine with doing it myself, just doesn't look like from my photos that I've even got a maf sensor. There's a plug on the back of the induction kit??

Does your filter adaptor look like this one? Would only take 2 mins to undo the hose clamps holding the air filter on & see if there's a MAF hiding under there.

If you dont't have a MAF then the previous owner has converted it to a MAP sensor which is quiet a rare conversion unless you're making big hp.

Pic447.jpg

Yeah, cleaned the maf, seems to idle a bit better, was running it today and it was pulling off pretty slow, very sluggish til the turbo kicks in. But in general it's running pretty slow for some reason. Might service it see if that makes a difference.