Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Bodywork Warranty

I recently bought an RX400H SE and I noticed when I was washing it the other day that the chrome on the radiator grill surround was de-laminating, if that's the right word. Also there are a few stone chips that are actually starting to show signs of rust! Is there anybody out there with a similar problem? My 400 is on an '05 plate and has it's 5th birthday in July'10. Does the 5 year warranty cover this sort of body problem? I would have thought that you should expect that the steel being used to be able to withstand this sort of thing.Any suggestions before I confront Lexus?

Thanks Chris.

The issue here is that Lexus use very light water based paints that, regrettably, scratch and chip easily.

The paint warranty wont cover the rust as its due to chippings and not corrosion from behind, if that makes sense?

As for the chrome, I'd look at eBay for replacements? No doubt new Lexus ones will be expensive. However, next serivce you may want to ask your Dealer if they could do something - no harm in asking IMHO!

The issue here is that Lexus use very light water based paints that, regrettably, scratch and chip easily.

The paint warranty wont cover the rust as its due to chippings and not corrosion from behind, if that makes sense?

As for the chrome, I'd look at eBay for replacements? No doubt new Lexus ones will be expensive. However, next serivce you may want to ask your Dealer if they could do something - no harm in asking IMHO!

Thanks for your reply and help. I suppose, I thought that maybe a marque such as Lexus, in these modern times, would be using some form of galvanised or treated body shell that could withstand a stone chip. I've had plenty of Bmw's and Audis over the years and they never suffered with the same problem.

TBH on BMWs the strength of the paint is colour dependant. Colours such as Le Mans Blue chip as easily as Lexus' paint work, however the dark metallic grey seems more resistant. Just one of those thing mehtinks.

As for Lexus, they don't seem to be able to grasp the issue of corrosion as their alloy wheels have always suffered from blistering etc. while the Germans seem more resistant. One of things I guess - enjoy the car :)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree about scratching easily. I managed to scratch up the wings by wearing a belt while leaning over to clean the windscreen (it's my first SUV - not used to it!)

I was disappointed at how easily any solid object seems to remove the surface.

I've had 2 BMWs, 3 Renaults and 2 Vauxhalls in the last 15 years, all with better paint. My worst ever was a 1989 Sierra though.