Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight Auto On/off Sensor Failure?

'99 IS200

It would seem that the headlight auto on/off sensor has failed.

The lights work OK when switched on/off manually so I don't think it is any of the headlight fuses or relays.

So I suspect the sensor (the one on the top of the dash).

Any hints on

1) How to remove and replace?

2) What are the specs for a new sensor. Pinouts or a wiring diagram would be useful.

Hiya,no one else chimed in so i thought id mention that there are a lot of posts about this subject if you use the search function, i seem to remember there could be a few differing options or causes to this kind of thing

Hiya,no one else chimed in so i thought id mention that there are a lot of posts about this subject if you use the search function, i seem to remember there could be a few differing options or causes to this kind of thing

I found a lot of posts mainly about the problem with being unable to turn the lights off. Or the lights coming back on again when the ignition was turned off. These problems also seemed to relate to water leakages especially after a windscreen replacement.

I couldn't find any that mentioned an actual sensor failure.

But I will check out the wiring connectors in the right side panel.

I would still like to know how to test the sensor itself.

hmm sorry i cant be more help-im sure i remember reading posts on sensor failure etc somewhere a long time ago-i take it you have checked the basics ie every fuse in all 3 fuseboxes ?