Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Disc Scraping

kev dood

Well, I got round to doing my front caliper since the old one kept suffering from a sticking piston. Also did all the discs and pads on the car. Which has now lead to a problem - which I believe may have been discussed before??

Basically, when I installed the new rear disc, the "wheel/disc" would spin freely, but as soon as I put on a wheel nut (to hold the disc in place) and tried to turn the disc it would stiffen up and then no longer be able to move!

After a while of head scratching and checking it wasn't the hadnbrake shoes catching on the drum section, I noticed that the backing plate that sits just behind the shoes (the rim can be see in the similar photo in this post linky) was rubbing on the back of the new disc.

If you look at the rear of the disc, there is a sunken section just after the pad face and before it drops down into the drum section. It would appear that either this "groove" is either not deep enough as the rear plate (which is definately not deformed) is rubbing in this groove. When I look at the old disc (which was installed by Lexus years ago) it has a worn groove in this sunken groove section, so its obviously a problem thats happened before.

My question is, has many other people noticed this - and if so, what is the cause/rectification. I am currently driving around with a car that has a loud scraping noise and its not nice!! I am sure over time it will wear one or the other part down enough to stop, but I wonder if Lexus slightly changed either the size of this lip on the backing plate rim, or the depth of this sunken area on the disc?

Ormi - is this something that you have ever noticed in your work?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am gonna give Lexus Swindon a call tomorrow (bought the parts from LexusCarParts) to see what they say.

Surely it cannot be right, as a customer would not accept this noise once driving away from Lexus if they had fitted them?

BTW - I am sure this is not the Dust plate rubbing on the disk, but it is the handbrake shoe mounting plate!

Just spoke with Lexus Swindon, seems that maybe Lexus have consolodated parts as I think the new number ends in a 11. Which means that maybe the tolerance for the IS200 are slightly out, hence the rubbing.

The old part (ending 01) probably fit perfectly! When you look at the Toyo parts listing, there are several discs shown to fit the IS200, and I bet you cannot buy all of them any more.

He advised just to angle grind the shoe mounting plate back a little! Nice - good old lexus quality then eh!

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoke with Lexus Swindon, seems that maybe Lexus have consolodated parts as I think the new number ends in a 11. Which means that maybe the tolerance for the IS200 are slightly out, hence the rubbing.

The old part (ending 01) probably fit perfectly! When you look at the Toyo parts listing, there are several discs shown to fit the IS200, and I bet you cannot buy all of them any more.

He advised just to angle grind the shoe mounting plate back a little! Nice - good old lexus quality then eh!

no no no no dont grind it,sorry didn't see this post.....all you need to do it get a hammer and hammer the lip,then try the disk if it still catches hammer it again,sounds rough mate but i see this all the time.....

Don't meat to hijack your thred but I've got a similar problem. I hope someone can help.

Earlier in the year I was advised at the MOT station that the brake pads are wearing thin, so I decided to get all the brake parts upgraded. I bought some braided Do Luck lines and some front and rear pads from Prolex. I bought some drilled discs from eBay (unbranded).

I had everthing installed at a decent garage, however the brakes were rubbing quite badly but after a few days they bedded in OK. However, I still getting a tinny scraping from the rear brakes when I go around corners. There is no scraping when going in a straight line or when going around a corner at very slow speed (10mph perhaps). The scraping only happens when I go around corners at speed, maybe 25-30mph +. I asked the garage that did the work and they said that they noticed it but could not figure what it was, as the wheels spun freely and they had the wheels on and off a few times to check.

Anyone know what it could be?

look at the above post by me!!!!!!!!!thats the problem....i even explained what too do!!

remove the rear disk and have a look theirs a lip that runs in a groove on the rear disk.....look for signs of rubbing on the lip ie polished metal....tap back with hammer job done!!!

I can't really see how you would be able to hammer the shoe mounting plate much to move it! Dust cover thingy fair enough as that moves a fair amount, but the mouting plate is fairly stiff and solidly mounted.

Though in saying that, I guess you don't need to move it much!

Anyway, I just left it and it seems a lot better. NS still rubs a tad, but will go after a while. Just think its a bit poor that OEM parts no longer fit properly! Typical.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep i had the same problem when the garage (non lexus) fitted my new discs (not oem). The garage also noted that my old disc also had this worn groove.

I have to admit i can hear scraping when i'm driving slow with my old (oem) discs. So i told the garage to grind the backplate back a bit. At least now it doesn't grind, only very slightly if i hard turn left i can hear a slight grind, but i can live with that then rather have them grind too much of it away. Probably in time eventually it will wear itself down a tiny bit more and i won't get any scraping at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got round to doing my front caliper since the old one kept suffering from a sticking piston. Also did all the discs and pads on the car. Which has now lead to a problem - which I believe may have been discussed before??

Basically, when I installed the new rear disc, the "wheel/disc" would spin freely, but as soon as I put on a wheel nut (to hold the disc in place) and tried to turn the disc it would stiffen up and then no longer be able to move!

After a while of head scratching and checking it wasn't the hadnbrake shoes catching on the drum section, I noticed that the backing plate that sits just behind the shoes (the rim can be see in the similar photo in this post linky) was rubbing on the back of the new disc.

If you look at the rear of the disc, there is a sunken section just after the pad face and before it drops down into the drum section. It would appear that either this "groove" is either not deep enough as the rear plate (which is definately not deformed) is rubbing in this groove. When I look at the old disc (which was installed by Lexus years ago) it has a worn groove in this sunken groove section, so its obviously a problem thats happened before.

My question is, has many other people noticed this - and if so, what is the cause/rectification. I am currently driving around with a car that has a loud scraping noise and its not nice!! I am sure over time it will wear one or the other part down enough to stop, but I wonder if Lexus slightly changed either the size of this lip on the backing plate rim, or the depth of this sunken area on the disc?

Ormi - is this something that you have ever noticed in your work?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am gonna give Lexus Swindon a call tomorrow (bought the parts from LexusCarParts) to see what they say.

Surely it cannot be right, as a customer would not accept this noise once driving away from Lexus if they had fitted them?

BTW - I am sure this is not the Dust plate rubbing on the disk, but it is the handbrake shoe mounting plate!

I have just fitted new rear discs today and have the exact same problem, when I investigated there where metal filings inside the drum, so odviously not the shoes binding which is what I first thought, then I noticed that the back plate rim that fits into the groove on the disc was shiny as though been rubbing, out came the angle grinder and took about 2mm all the way round the rim and as if my magic no more rubbing. Problem solved!