Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Keys Cut ?

Hi everyone !

just got a new casing for my main 3 button key fob ( it snapped )

just looking for somewhere to cut it for me ? the local lock shop guy refused to do it :tsktsk:

Im in hinckley in leicester so anywhere fairly local

any idea how much its gonna set me back ?

lloyd i had one messed up by a dopey locky - should cost £5 - £10 to get done - might be an idea not to mention eBay at next locksmith and carry on as if its a genuine lex one-as long as it looks the part they wont know-im told a lot of lockys use the ebay/thin metal excuse as a valid excuse for their own ineptitude - i ended up getting a spare couple of blanks from eBay usa @ approx £3 delivered which took a small while to arrive but seem better quality slightly and cut fine

Thansk for all your replies

LexyNik : I can understand where your coming from if the guy hadn't seen me before - but ive been going to him buying locks + keys since i was 17. And he knows ive had a lexus since i was 19. the guys a :tsktsk: in my mind, wont be going there again. ever ! lol

Felix - thanks mate, thats spot on and their only 25 mins from me too - gonna give them a ring tommorrow. I owe you a beer ! :D

Scudney : thanks for your reply Mate. hoping Felix's main man will sort me out :)

Thansk for all your replies

LexyNik : I can understand where your coming from if the guy hadn't seen me before - but ive been going to him buying locks + keys since i was 17. And he knows ive had a lexus since i was 19. the guys a :tsktsk: in my mind, wont be going there again. ever ! lol

Felix - thanks mate, thats spot on and their only 25 mins from me too - gonna give them a ring tommorrow. I owe you a beer ! :D

Scudney : thanks for your reply Mate. hoping Felix's main man will sort me out :)

thanks thats ok lexuslloyd,hope u get it sorted B)

Just want to share my frustrating experience regarding key cutting:

1st time - I got a blank off eBay from a Hongkong seller, went to Timpson in the old market, the old shop owner cut it half way and said his machine couldnt do it as the grove is too narrow, no money paid but key was ruined.

2nd time - got another blank off the same seller, went to a 'newer' Timpson in town, the guy cut it but the grove is quite obviously 1mm shorter than the original, went back and asked the guy to try cut deeper and he said that's the best he could do. when asked for refund of the cutting price(£8), he said, oh no, cant get you refund, as he had already asked me if I was willing to take the risk. But i thort what he meant was if it didnt go well, i would lose the key, turns out he meant i would have to pay no matter the key works or not :tsktsk: anyway he also questioned if i bought the key from the internet coz the quality of blank is bad.

im goin to try the 8 POUNDS blank on eBay now...

Just want to share my frustrating experience regarding key cutting:

1st time - I got a blank off ebay from a Hongkong seller, went to Timpson in the old market, the old shop owner cut it half way and said his machine couldnt do it as the grove is too narrow, no money paid but key was ruined.

this was exactly what happened to me the first key i bought - this is a locky who is in the wrong proffession not a fault of the key you bought - shop around and order a few for spares- the ones i got from ebay usa @ 2 different vendors for approx £3 delivered were nearest looking to oem and cut fine - my advice is buy a few and find a new locksmith - theyre nearly as shonky as some independant garages i could name in the work they do at times

just checked sellers i got from in usa to post a link up but both no stock unfortunately - chug through eBay usa - if your key is 36mm long you can use a 40mm one but it will stick out a bit furthur,thats what i did for my first working spare

EDIT cheap keys from usa HERE -one dollar plus 6 dollar p and p

sound as a pound mate : ) used a blank off the bay of e for 7.99. took it down to them on saturday morning and within 7 mins i was driving home using my new key.

Duplicut are spot on - would highly recommend them to any of you.

Its always a good sign when they're mega mega busy !

Many Thanks to Felix - I owe you a beer mate !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links