Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone know what is involved in changing the sector ring on driveshaft, is it a big job or small job ? I have tried looking on clicky for diagram but nothing helpfull.

Many thanks

Don

No idea what a sector ring is mate, what is it?

Hi Tigerfish

Thant is what the garage called it ? but in english as i have found out is ABS ring, anyway have found out that you can ony buy it on a complete driveshaft.

Problem i have is when coming to a stop and only a stop i am getting the ABS unit clicking and have been inform , after local garage stript all brakes down and checking sensers that the ABS rings on rear drive shafts are worn.

After ringing around its hard to get NEW ones only at LEXUS @ 500 each, so seng e mails to several places I have managed to track 2 down in very good condition 120 the 2 and sound have them on wednesday at the latest and local garage will fit for 70.

I am trying to get it fixed by weekend as I will be doing a cornwall run, I have had the clicking on it for about 8 month and it even passed MOT like it, the braking as been fine but as i said when you come to that stop then it clicks just like a relay clicking in and out.

Anyway will keep you informed

OK, get what you mean now. Looks like the ring is part of the outer CV joint.

Yes mate, any other car you can change the ring but with LEXUS you gor to change drive shaft? which is a pain as the drive shaft it self is fine.

anyway as i said i got 2 coming hopefully tomorrow and i can have a good look at them to see if they can be servicable, and will keep you informed.

My local garage seviced my car and said that you would not think it was 12 years old it drives like a new car,only fault was this clicking

Yes mate, any other car you can change the ring but with LEXUS you gor to change drive shaft? which is a pain as the drive shaft it self is fine.

anyway as i said i got 2 coming hopefully tomorrow and i can have a good look at them to see if they can be servicable, and will keep you informed.

My local garage seviced my car and said that you would not think it was 12 years old it drives like a new car,only fault was this clicking

Sounds odd, I would've thought that the CV joints would be available seperately, even if the ring wasn't. Hopefully they will have it sorted soon.

Sounds odd, I would've thought that the CV joints would be available seperately, even if the ring wasn't. Hopefully they will have it sorted soon.

Update after talking to Tigerfish on pm, help needed to solve a problem after sevicing,

1, Took it into another garage not my local for a service and a check on abs clicking on actual stop and this as been like this for about 8 months no lights or buzzer on dash coming on.

2, sevice done and check done, was informed abs seners/pump all working ok ,but rear secters or abs rings on drive shaft badley worn and need replacing.

3,Driving home found that had another click developed on front wheel after service?

4, Took it back and they checked front wheel and could not find anything wrong, after driving back home found that all clicking had gone and the lights on dash was on ABS/VSC but no buzzer.

Any help needed as i should be going to cornwall this weekend so need to get it sorted,is it that after service the ECU needs to be reset

• 2 weeks later...

Update after talking to Tigerfish on pm, help needed to solve a problem after sevicing,

1, Took it into another garage not my local for a service and a check on abs clicking on actual stop and this as been like this for about 8 months no lights or buzzer on dash coming on.

2, sevice done and check done, was informed abs seners/pump all working ok ,but rear secters or abs rings on drive shaft badley worn and need replacing.

3,Driving home found that had another click developed on front wheel after service?

4, Took it back and they checked front wheel and could not find anything wrong, after driving back home found that all clicking had gone and the lights on dash was on ABS/VSC but no buzzer.

Any help needed as i should be going to cornwall this weekend so need to get it sorted,is it that after service the ECU needs to be reset

Well new update? have tried many places that do cv joints and have had 2 deliveries and both of them do not fit even thou they said they are for my car? so it looks like it is going to after be LEXUS for complete driveshaft unless anyone on here as had cv joints changed on gs300 mk2 and from where they got them.

Well new update? have tried many places that do cv joints and have had 2 deliveries and both of them do not fit even thou they said they are for my car? so it looks like it is going to after be LEXUS for complete driveshaft unless anyone on here as had cv joints changed on gs300 mk2 and from where they got them.

any joy on this mate? Have you had the sensors checked out? The reason I say that, is that the rings being worn wouldn't put the abs and vsc lights on at start up, it may confuse the system when in use, but shouldn't cause any diagnostic failures.

any joy on this mate? Have you had the sensors checked out? The reason I say that, is that the rings being worn wouldn't put the abs and vsc lights on at start up, it may confuse the system when in use, but shouldn't cause any diagnostic failures.

Hi mate,

Yes I did just before I went to cornwall, I have the back passenger down so need to find and check the connection as it may have been knocked on the service , this is another LEXUS part only @ 145 each or 260 fitted. anyway I think I have found where I can have driveshaft referbed @90 each and in my area but will sort sensor out first.

I drove down cornwall and back with lights on just got no ABS .

Question mate if the sensor dont touch the ring in anway, Y dos ring wear down (I would show you a photo but still cant put the on here) I gave up trying.

Question mate if the sensor dont touch the ring in anway, Y dos ring wear down (I would show you a photo but still cant put the on here) I gave up trying.

If I'm honest, I don't really know. I can only think that corrosion or stones getting trapped causing any wear/damage. I've never had it happen to me or anyone else I know though.

• 3 months later...

If I'm honest, I don't really know. I can only think that corrosion or stones getting trapped causing any wear/damage. I've never had it happen to me or anyone else I know though.

well all i did try to get an ABS ring but no joy, i bought a set of cv joints off eBay did not fit ? so i tried another company and they sent me a set out and quess what they was the same as the first set, i had a diagnostic done it and it was coming up as fault on sensor so booked it into LEXUS for new sensor, they did a complete check of car and dianostic and came up as ABS ring? anyway you cant buy parts for the driveshaft on the mk2 so i had a new one fitted and it all ok know.

just thought as i would let you all know on this topic as i did put a topic up on here about rear seat removal for sensor connecter

.many thanks to all

Don

• 1 month later...

I can't understand how there has been wear to that extent,with the teeth being so worn and shiny it looks like something has been in contact with them,the question is what?

The only possible is some foreign object has been picked up whilst driving and has caused the wear,if it had got stuck between the pick up ring and the ABS sensor I would also have expected sensor damage.

this was the problempost-27051-062356300 1289242717.jpg

Hi steve

Lexus technition did say its the first he had seen, the only thing i can think of is about 18 months ago i went thru a flood and may have picked up grit, he also said that they do need to be blown out regular,

I did try and get the driveshaft reconedtioned but they sent it back saying that they had not seen one like this before that you could not strip down and reconditioned, i also tried to get ABS ring as they are only sweeted on but no joy, also tried CV joints off e bay gave them my engine/ vin/ and id/ and reg, had 2 sets which i still have stating they are for my car but they where to small, also bought 2 driveshaft off a scrappy but they was as bad as mine was? and still have those in my shed,at the end after months of trying and money waisted had new driveshaft fitted by LEXUS £580.

I drove around for months as it was on traditional brakes, all i can say to all reading is- when i braked it was fine but when coming to the final stop the ABS under bonnet was clicking like a relay clicking and no lights on dash, it was only when i took it for a service at my local garage and ased them to check it out for me which they must have made it worse as that it when the lights on dash came on, and this is when i waisted my time and money on trying to relace parts, LEXUS technition did say also that the mk1 and mk3 most parts are serviceable unlike the mk2 most parts are LEXUS only, i hope this post will help someone as i spent money waisted- secondhand driveshafts £100/ 2sets of cv jounts £120/ as i have said these parts i still have which i need to try and get rid of