Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just wondering if anyone else has a mother in law like mine.

1 week ago mine took delivery of a nice new VW Golf (2010) it has done 272 miles and today she drove it into a post at the local Tesco.

She was fine, fortunately I asked if she was ok before asking about the car! (some brownie points there)

Car needs a new bumper, grill and possibly a cross member which is a bit bent.

She said "those posts can do a lot of damage" said I "only if you drive into them !"

A record for lowest mileage damage?

Almost but many years ago I remember a car transporter in Mansfield that tried to get under a low bridge and managed to lose the top deck of brand new cars straight out of the Ford plant!!

You're very good to your Mother in Law I would have enquired about the post 1st :whistling:

Tesco every little post!!!!

Hi I used to work in a dealers, a bloke bought a daimler soverign double six off us & reversed it off the fourcourt straight down a big water mains repair hole in the road outside, he went nowhere forward but managed to clock up about 20 meters backwards.

Hi I used to work in a dealers, a bloke bought a daimler soverign double six off us & reversed it off the fourcourt straight down a big water mains repair hole in the road outside, he went nowhere forward but managed to clock up about 20 meters backwards.

I cannot beat that but I did read about a woman who thanked the salesman after the handover of her brand new car, got in, drove off the forecourt and a straight under a large passing truck which wiped the front off said brand new purchase. She was not seriously injured. So, a write-off in about 25 metres.

I'll pass all of these on to the mo inlaw will make her feel better.

Was sat in the lounge with her yesterday and her old bloke came in the front door, she said "don't mention it to him and see how long it takes for him to bring it up" he said "Hello Dave" and launched into "have you seen the car !" she has so much to live down and I'm not sure there's enough time left :D

this thread has made my day i have never had an accident in 30 yrs and yes i am female, so maybe i should start practing to get some under my belt think i will go buy a ka to smash first i hate them :sick:

I know this was not an accident but I was in Riyadh the day of a giant golf/tennis ball size hail storm. The Car souk was out the back of our sales yard and there were lots full of Mercs, Caddies et al. and all were dented from end to end, hundreds of them! The surface effect was very like the golf ball. Our Asbestos workshop roof was just smashed to smithereens and the trees we planted were stripped to the trunk al in the space of about 5 minutes!

Sadly it all melted and flooded at least one underpass. the drains were sanded full and the pumps burned out. Several people drowned in their cars including a minibus full of workers!

This is certainly not just a woman thing, but if you knew my mo inlaw you wouldn't be terribly surprised.

In fact the said lady's husband (my father in law) only recently had the side of his Fiesta ripped off because he froze as a semi trailer backed towards him, according to passers by he had plenty of time and a clear road to reverse out of the way but he just froze, not quite how he tells it mind you.

The truck driver had at least some responsibility even if he couldn't see the car but there is such a thing as self preservation. The damage wrote the 2 year old car off he was ok though.

When I was about two years old, my dad bought a new Hillman Imp from Bristol Street Motors in Birmingham.

It got about two miles down the road, when going round a roundabout it ran out of petrol. The driver behind didnt react in time and ran into the back of us!

Dont think it did much damage.

When I was about two years old, my dad bought a new Hillman Imp from Bristol Street Motors in Birmingham.

It got about two miles down the road, when going round a roundabout it ran out of petrol. The driver behind didnt react in time and ran into the back of us!

Dont think it did much damage.

Funny you should mention the Hillman imp when I was a kid my dad (much to his annoyance as his previous was a Zephyr) was given an Imp as a company car. He got the brand new car home and we all admired it but there was a burning smell.

No oil in the engine and no sign of a leak had to go on a low loader back to the dealer. Wont mention the dealer but we lived in Birmingham too....

Hello Jelly Bean there was no offense intended. I was astonished by the lack of concern for safety over there and so little care for the workers (of which I was one). The complete lack of maintenance of an essential pumping system ended up with around 15 dead for the sake of only a little care and consideration. The mark was for emphasis only. I have every sympathy for the workers as well as their dependents and the others drowned. Life is sometimes very cheap over there.

My Dad bought a Maxi from Bristol Street Motors in Birmingham (Bristol St.) and the wheel fell off on the way home!

No serious damage. Later all the oil exited through the sump due to the clutch cable going through a grommet in the sump pan.

He phoned up the Austin and actually got through to Lord Nuffield! who arranged for the car to go through the assembly line for a full check and the new clutch system to be fitted.

It was a great car and lasted ages!

Sorry no accident there again.....

He phoned up the Austin and actually got through to Lord Nuffield! who arranged for the car to go through the assembly line for a full check and the new clutch system to be fitted.

Erm... great story... but Nuffield died six years before the Maxi started production. (Sorry)

i used to work for a building company and we used to have 3 year leases on the vans, so every august the 1st the old ones would be returned, and new ones supplied.

so one august 1st, we had a phone call from one of the lads who was returning his van, saying he had been in an accident and written the van off ( probably his own fault as he hit an oncoming car as he was overtaking ). so we had to make a call to the lease company and explain the situation ( always embarassing when its someone elses vehicle youve just killed!), not a big problem they say and agree to send the new van to the scene of the accident, so that tools etc can be transferred.

half an hour later, we get a phone call from the same lad saying that the van has been written off! we assume he must have slight concussion/ memory loss, until he explains that this time a tractor pulled out from a side road immediately in front of him! Cue another embarassing call to the lease company!

so probably not a record for the least miles before a smash, but maybe a record for 2 write offs within about an hour!

I drove a brand new company owned Allegro to Scotland in 1974. Near Montrose the oil warning light came on round a corner. I stopped and looked underneath, The engine drain plug was loose and on its last thread and oil was oozing out. Tightened it by hand with a cloth and drove very slowly to the nearest garage where it took nearly 1.5 litres of oil.

Just remembered we had a Lada Samara in Jeddah for our ops manager. Our mechanic took it out in the first week and it was written off by a honey truck. Almost a 90 degree bend in the middle. No one hurt. No great loss of a car either all the window winders broke off within the first couple of days.