Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Blocking Egr Valve

• 2 months later...

nice question, i'm also very interested about this topic; to close completely this circuit with EGR valve.

If anyone has done please share how he did it and if it works. thanks

a couple of my neighbours do this sort of thing a lot - they frequently change diesel cars and have them tuned, but both do silly miles so stick to diesels. blocking off the egr doesn't cause problems on any other cars that i've seen it done on, it should also make your mpg and performance a little better.

if it does throw up an error code, who cares. unblock it, disconnect your Battery for a bit, and start again.

Not so easy. Some guys of the italian Toyota/Lexus forum tried to close the EGR circuit and the ECU went in recovery. It's very uncomfortable to have the car that goes in recovery every 2 minutes.

Here u can see the complete circuit of gas recyrculation:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2006_LEXUS_IS250~220D_ALE20L-AEFLYW_2501.html

Often in forums dedicated to IS220D i read about someone that cleans the EGR valve and comes happy because he suppose to solve the problem. This is simply ingenuous; look how long is the circuit!! Simply clean the EGR valve is not enough, the recyrculation circuit is an entire world full of carbonous ****!!

So the final solution should only be to close completely this circuit: the car will run much better, because it will inspire only clean air and not exaust gas mixed with it.

If i'll have time to do some experiments trying to close the circuit in different places, i'll give u feedback about this.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Greetings from Bulgaria

Today I closed the EGR and the car waked up. Nothing happens no errors neither switch to recovery mode. EGR is not connected with computed on this engine and can be closed without problems as for the fuel consumption it remains the same.

11-13lt/100km urban drive

7-8lt/100km highway drive.

Regards

Greetings from Bulgaria

Today I closed the EGR and the car waked up. Nothing happens no errors neither switch to recovery mode. EGR is not connected with computed on this engine and can be closed without problems as for the fuel consumption it remains the same.

Regards

Hello Tani,

I'm interested in blocking the valve but when i cleaned it for the first time a couple of months ago i saw that there is a solenoid opening and closing the valve I guess when it's necessary.

If i understand well there has to be some sensor telling the ECU to open or close the valve but if you block it this sensor will somehow notice it.

Please monitor it for a few days and let me/us know if there are any issues.

I hope there aren't any problems because it would be great to get a bit of more power with such a simple modification.

Rgds

Georgios

Greetings from Bulgaria

Regards

Hello Tani,

I'm interested in blocking the valve but when i cleaned it for the first time a couple of months ago i saw that there is a solenoid opening and closing the valve I guess when it's necessary.

If i understand well there has to be some sensor telling the ECU to open or close the valve but if you block it this sensor will somehow notice it.

Please monitor it for a few days and let me/us know if there are any issues.

I hope there aren't any problems because it would be great to get a bit of more power with such a simple modification.

Rgds

Georgios

Don't worry close it. This valve is controlled by ECU but ECU cannot measure if gasses are passing. So closing it does not mean you are blocking the movments of the valve controlled by ECU you are just stoping the gasses and they are thrown through the generation.

I will update after several days. Today I did 50-70km urban cruise and no problems occur.

Rgds

One of the functions of the EGR system apart from emissions control is it actually cools the exhaust gases,removing the EGR will therefore in theory increase the exhaust gas temperature and therefore as these gases are used to drive the turbocharger result in the turbo running hotter,a hotter running turbo will have a shorter running life.

My imported Toyota Celsior the JDM version of the Lexus LS400 does not have an EGR system fitted as they are not required in Japan but my engine is a) petrol and B) non turbocharged so there are no detrimental effects on mine,turbocharged diesel engines are however a different animal.

If you EGR valve is clogging frequently there must be another underlying reason for this,poor quality fuel,incomplete combustion, overfueling or I have heard driving style.I have a Citroen Belingo diesel van and having covered over 140,000 miles I have never had a problem with the EGR system.

One of the functions of the EGR system apart from emissions control is it actually cools the exhaust gases,removing the EGR will therefore in theory increase the exhaust gas temperature and therefore as these gases are used to drive the turbocharger result in the turbo running hotter,a hotter running turbo will have a shorter running life.

My imported Toyota Celsior the JDM version of the Lexus LS400 does not have an EGR system fitted as they are not required in Japan but my engine is a) petrol and B) non turbocharged so there are no detrimental effects on mine,turbocharged diesel engines are however a different animal.

If you EGR valve is clogging frequently there must be another underlying reason for this,poor quality fuel,incomplete combustion, overfueling or I have heard driving style.I have a Citroen Belingo diesel van and having covered over 140,000 miles I have never had a problem with the EGR system.

Not sure for that. I have had BMW 330D with closed EGR valve. I have driven it over 150 000km and I did not have any problem with the turbo. Probably on theory you are right. But having in mind that gasses in turbo are traveling so fast I cannot imagine how can EGR probably cool them. Whatever, I like the way my car has waken up and I do not want just to clean the valve but I think I will leave it that way. Another thing I will do will be to remove the stupid filter for the gasses and the stupid 5th injector and if succeed in doing that I will be very happy :)

Rgds

Hi from Russia! 3 months without errors!

Hi could you explain why did you divert the whole circuit to the turbo?

All is very simple. In a collector the gage pressure\vacuum is established. When you release a pedal, egr Is opened on 100 % and is closed air valve as on 100 %. Pressure falls to certain parameter. If simply to establish a plate that parameter it will be too small - result check vsc. If submit air from turbo we can't to receive vacuum in a collector!

All is very simple. In a collector the gage pressure\vacuum is established. When you release a pedal, egr Is opened on 100 % and is closed air valve as on 100 %. Pressure falls to certain parameter. If simply to establish a plate that parameter it will be too small - result check vsc. If submit air from turbo we can't to receive vacuum in a collector!

I have egr closed for over 5 days and there are not any errors on VSC. For sure if you remove that circuite and just close the valve you will also see that VSC won't trow error. But it is a matter of personal choise I think. Thank you for the clarification and have a great time driving :)

Rgds

I have egr closed for over 5 days and there are not any errors on VSC. For sure if you remove that circuite and just close the valve you will also see that VSC won't trow error. But it is a matter of personal choise I think. Thank you for the clarification and have a great time driving :)

Rgds

Hello Tani,

I have just received a 2 mm egr blanking plate specially made for me and my 220d, the first one.

I will try to install it this week one if i have time.

Did you get the VSC error so far? If yes does the car looses power all of a sudden?

My missus is driving the car from time to time and I don't her to have any surprise while driving at the motorway.

Cheers

GT

Hello.

Just to give a constructive contribute to discussion.

I and Fonserg worked together on the problem "elimination of EGR circuit" on this car in the last 5 months.

We tried all solutions, all solutions u could try here: complete closure, partial closing, different places of plates, different dimaters of holes....some of this tentative seemed to function...but after some period the ECU goes in recovery mode. No way.

So if u want to avoid to lose your time, the suggestion is to use the system we developed and Fonserg showed in photo: total recyrculation of turbo. It works and the car runs very well.

Now i'm working on alcool-water injection....but this is another story...))

...I forgot...answering to Steve2006:

the EGR circuit has no power to reduce EGT (Exaust Gas Temperature), this circuit is only dedicated to contain emissions inside the rigorous standards of Euro 4, and the great idea is to let the car burn 2 times the gases it produced before. Congratulations to the engineers that found this splendid solution.

Turbo will not suffer if the EGR is closed, thousands of BMWs and Alfa Romeo runs in Europe with closed EGR and no problems with their turbos. Take a look in BMWs or Alfas forum ;)

The real problem is another: if u close EGR but u don't eliminate FAP at same time, u will soon tap the filter with big problems of recovery of ECU and expensive maintenance to clean it manually to the car-shop.

Finally, if one wants or desire decrease the EGT and run the engine more safetly, the solution exists and is called: water injection ;)

• 2 months later...

ULISSE Hi,

I have a IS220D and done about a 100,000 miles on it. its had all its stuff done under warranty etc, now looks like I probably have to do something to bypass the EGR gases to get a little bit of performance.

you know where you have bypassed the gases to the turbo, with in the EGR vavle do you still have to block it?

Please, look photos posted above from Fonserg, all is clear. U put a tube from the turbo after intercooler (near AIT sensor) and enter in the top of EGR with it. Then u simply take off original connection tube. U need to close with a plate the start of the line of recyrculation of gases on the other side of the engine, on the exaust manifold, or smoke will comes out from your bonnet )))

• 2 weeks later...

DPNR circuit and EGR are conpletely separated phisically, but they interact for some ways.

Example: gases goes into exaust manifold, and if they are more dirty, the DPNR will be more rapidly full of **** to regenerate. That's why, i suggest to people who wants to close EGR, to take off DPNR filter. The car will run much much more happy and clean.