Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those kind people that helped me with regard to my Sat Nav disc unit query.

I am now trying to tackle the manual of the IS 250 Sat Nav system. 331 pages along.

Does anyone know how to obtain an easier to understand version ? I know manuals are complicated and you need to be patient. However for example on page 14, just as I think I am understanding something, I am referred to Page 43 because there are 12 different methods to search your home. On page 43 it tells me that I can use 12 different methods to search my destination See Pages 45 - 61. I'm sure this makes sense to somebody but not a 69 year old like me ! Why is it not possible to learn each step, one page at a time ?

I sat in the car pressing the Sat nav buttons like a lunatic ( not driving ) but with the engine switch on the first position. I was unaware that the climate fan was running at the lowest setting. Anyway, after about 30 minutes all the electrics started to fail and finally the engine would not start. 3 hours later and a nice chat with the AA man he checked by Battery and told me , whilst it was in very good shape, it had run down !. He suggested that if I wanted to learn the Sat Nav the fan should be off ( obviously- that was my fault ) but have the engine running. He was NOT surprised that after 30 minutes the Battery had run down. Well... I am very surprised, as running the engine in idle consumes petrol and I suppose could overheat after a while.

IS IT ME ????

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those kind people that helped me with regard to my Sat Nav disc unit query.

I am now trying to tackle the manual of the IS 250 Sat Nav system. 331 pages along.

Does anyone know how to obtain an easier to understand version ? I know manuals are complicated and you need to be patient. However for example on page 14, just as I think I am understanding something, I am referred to Page 43 because there are 12 different methods to search your home. On page 43 it tells me that I can use 12 different methods to search my destination See Pages 45 - 61. I'm sure this makes sense to somebody but not a 69 year old like me ! Why is it not possible to learn each step, one page at a time ?

I sat in the car pressing the Sat nav buttons like a lunatic ( not driving ) but with the engine switch on the first position. I was unaware that the climate fan was running at the lowest setting. Anyway, after about 30 minutes all the electrics started to fail and finally the engine would not start. 3 hours later and a nice chat with the AA man he checked by battery and told me , whilst it was in very good shape, it had run down !. He suggested that if I wanted to learn the Sat Nav the fan should be off ( obviously- that was my fault ) but have the engine running. He was NOT surprised that after 30 minutes the battery had run down. Well... I am very surprised, as running the engine in idle consumes petrol and I suppose could overheat after a while.

IS IT ME ????

Yes, the Battery will go flat with all the electronics running, so here’s a tip-

Don't be a tight wad and keep the engine running while you play with the sat nav!

The car will never overheat, unless there's a problem. Unlike Fords of the 1970's which would overheat at every traffic light in your car will be fine. In a Lexus you could sit all day with it ticking over, don't worry it won’t break.

Now for the sat-nav. Pick a street where you want to go, any street where you know the way, just to test. Go to your satnav, engine running and climate on, got to keep cool, have a tinkeling of your favourite music humming in the background, (CD in slot press play).

Now with your street name, press ‘DEST’

You will now see an option to input the street name, input the street name using the keypad on display. Once this is in you may well see a list of streets. Choose the street you inputted. Now press Guide, then Route, or visa versa, I can’t remember off hand. A nice lady will talk to you in a soft voice, (she’s not a real Lady), mine is called Doris, you may choose a name for yours, you have to, all people do. No need to start the car, it is running. Follow the voice and glance occasionally at the map. You are on your way. Keep doing this until you are confidant. If you want the sat nav to stop, the nice soft Ladies voice does sometimes become annoying, press the Menu button the Suspend Guidance. That is all there is to know about sat nav.

(Apart from)

You can keep your home address in the sat nav too which means that wherever you are you can simple press a Flag and the nav Lady will guide you home, and then there are the POIs (points of interest) but this is in the advanced course.

Have a play, you won't break it, good luck!

Hi everyone,

I sat in the car pressing the Sat nav buttons like a lunatic ( not driving ) but with the engine switch on the first position. I was unaware that the climate fan was running at the lowest setting. Anyway, after about 30 minutes all the electrics started to fail and finally the engine would not start. 3 hours later and a nice chat with the AA man he checked by battery and told me , whilst it was in very good shape, it had run down !. He suggested that if I wanted to learn the Sat Nav the fan should be off ( obviously- that was my fault ) but have the engine running. He was NOT surprised that after 30 minutes the battery had run down. Well... I am very surprised, as running the engine in idle consumes petrol and I suppose could overheat after a while.

IS IT ME ????

Yes, the Battery will go flat with all the electronics running, so here’s a tip-

Don't be a tight wad and keep the engine running while you play with the sat nav!

The car will never overheat, unless there's a problem. Unlike Fords of the 1970's which would overheat at every traffic light in your car will be fine. In a Lexus you could sit all day with it ticking over, don't worry it won’t break.

Now for the sat-nav. Pick a street where you want to go, any street where you know the way, just to test. Go to your satnav, engine running and climate on, got to keep cool, have a tinkeling of your favourite music humming in the background, (CD in slot press play).

You will now see an option to input the street name, input the street name using the keypad on display. Once this is in you may well see a list of streets. Choose the street you inputted. Now press Guide, then Route, or visa versa, I can’t remember off hand. A nice lady will talk to you in a soft voice, (she’s not a real Lady), mine is called Doris, you may choose a name for yours, you have to, all people do. No need to start the car, it is running. Follow the voice and glance occasionally at the map. You are on your way. Keep doing this until you are confidant. If you want the sat nav to stop, the nice soft Ladies voice does sometimes become annoying, press the Menu button the Suspend Guidance. That is all there is to know about sat nav.

(Apart from)

You can keep your home address in the sat nav too which means that wherever you are you can simple press a Flag and the nav Lady will guide you home, and then there are the POIs (points of interest) but this is in the advanced course.

Many thanks Knitwear for your quick response. Enjoyed your humour.Much apprecitated. Will do as you suggest and

play gently with engine running. I am still surprised that the engine went flat. Do you think it was the fan at the lowest setting or just that playing with the sat nav buttons for 30 mins drained the Battery ? I say "drained" but I have just read the AA report which tells me that the voltage was 10.6 volts instead of 12.2 volts. Presumably enough to stop the startup. Fortunately the Battery is now up to full strength with hopefully no damage.

Hi everyone,

IS IT ME ????

(Apart from)

Many thanks Knitwear for your quick response. Enjoyed your humour.Much apprecitated. Will do as you suggest and

play gently with engine running. I am still surprised that the engine went flat. Do you think it was the fan at the lowest setting or just that playing with the sat nav buttons for 30 mins drained the Battery ? I say "drained" but I have just read the AA report which tells me that the voltage was 10.6 volts instead of 12.2 volts. Presumably enough to stop the startup. Fortunately the Battery is now up to full strength with hopefully no damage.

Hello, I'm glad I could help!

Yes the Battery will definatly go flat over a short period of time. I have had a flat Battery simply from leaving an interior light on, albeit it did take a few hours to go flat! Keep the engine running, don't worry about fuel, you really won't notice it.

Remember, to navigate somewhere should only take 4 button presses, 'DEST' (on the front panel), (put in street name) 'Enter', 'Guide' and 'Route'. Play with the nav over and over, travel to places you know using the nav and I'm sure after a few goes it will become second nature.

Don't worry about the AA report. I was told once by an AA man that my cars key-less ignition was failing, car was failing to start, - it transpired that I only needed to change my key fob Battery!

By the way, the Lexus nav system is excellent!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links