Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My wife has decided to get shut of her RX300 and has opted on a 220d. Seen a few on usual trade sites with high miles, not too worried provided FSH but at what point does high miles become a concern for things going wrong/costing money? She does about 15 miles a day so it's not gonna clock up many miles once she has it.

Thanks.

Well that will be two of us in that boat. Two weeks ago I bought a 220d with 104K on the clock. Bit of a gamble but Lexus FSH, last one being in December which was the big 100K service it does give me some confidence.

I've taken on a warranty with Warranty Direct which includes wear and tear cover (after 90 days) so they can't refuse a claim as it's done a high mileage. Covered up to full value of car and about everything is covered. Fingers crossed I don't need it but it's nice to know it's there if I need it.

So far got to say I love the car having had several 3 series and a C class in the past. Having said that my last car was a RAV4 - same engine but that was like a tractor compared to how it's used in the Lexus.

My wife has decided to get shut of her RX300 and has opted on a 220d. Seen a few on usual trade sites with high miles, not too worried provided FSH but at what point does high miles become a concern for things going wrong/costing money? She does about 15 miles a day so it's not gonna clock up many miles once she has it.

Thanks.

If she only does 15 miles a day, how about a 250 auto? They probably are not a cheap as the 220d, but they are definitely worth the extra IMHO

Thanks.

If she only does 15 miles a day, how about a 250 auto? They probably are not a cheap as the 220d, but they are definitely worth the extra IMHO

She's considering the diesel for mpg... what would the 250 return arond town? currently getting 19 from the RX so imagine it'd be a tad better than that :D

Well that will be two of us in that boat. Two weeks ago I bought a 220d with 104K on the clock. Bit of a gamble but Lexus FSH, last one being in December which was the big 100K service it does give me some confidence.

I've taken on a warranty with Warranty Direct which includes wear and tear cover (after 90 days) so they can't refuse a claim as it's done a high mileage. Covered up to full value of car and about everything is covered. Fingers crossed I don't need it but it's nice to know it's there if I need it.

So far got to say I love the car having had several 3 series and a C class in the past. Having said that my last car was a RAV4 - same engine but that was like a tractor compared to how it's used in the Lexus.

Hi, just picking your note up on the Warranty Direct cover. I looked into this as my IS is just out of manufacturers warranty. The things out of scope are the usual - bulbs (expensive if HID too), pads / disks (serviceable items) etc. They offer several level of cover with the luxury care plus being the top one.

For higher mileage cars / older cars they appear to only offer lower levels of cover (Extra care for cars <70K; secure care and major care for cars > 70K). They also only offer to pay a % of the parts cost for specific mileage bands. For instance, >100K they pay 50% towards the cost of parts.

I got warranty direct to give me a quote on the maximum cover (luxury care plus) which on the face of it is comparable to Lexus warranty. They confirmed they would normally only offer this on cars <60K and under 4 years old. They quoted me about £580 iirc which is just shy of what Lexus charge (plus full RAC cover included by Lexus) so I am thinking of going with the latter it may give me a bit more negotiation with repairs etc, although feedback on this site on warranty direct appears to be positive (although not sure what policies level people took out).

Hi, just picking your note up on the Warranty Direct cover. I looked into this as my IS is just out of manufacturers warranty. The things out of scope are the usual - bulbs (expensive if HID too), pads / disks (serviceable items) etc. They offer several level of cover with the luxury care plus being the top one.

For higher mileage cars / older cars they appear to only offer lower levels of cover (Extra care for cars <70K; secure care and major care for cars > 70K). They also only offer to pay a % of the parts cost for specific mileage bands. For instance, >100K they pay 50% towards the cost of parts.

I got warranty direct to give me a quote on the maximum cover (luxury care plus) which on the face of it is comparable to Lexus warranty. They confirmed they would normally only offer this on cars <60K and under 4 years old. They quoted me about £580 iirc which is just shy of what Lexus charge (plus full RAC cover included by Lexus) so I am thinking of going with the latter it may give me a bit more negotiation with repairs etc, although feedback on this site on warranty direct appears to be positive (although not sure what policies level people took out).

My warranty with Warranty Direct is called secure care. It covers most every thing that should go wrong (fingers crossed). Some haggling saw him throw in some additional cover for a couple of missing items and interest free for 10 months. the clincher was the upgrade from them paying 50% of the cost of parts (if it's a wear & tear item), because my car has done over 100K, to paying 100% cost of parts (they always pay 100% of labour costs) for £50 extra.

Seems good for £370 after reading what potential problems may occur on a 220d. Costs £50 for each claim and I'm covered up to purchase price of car and unlimited claims.

Thanks.

I would go for the 250, far superior than the 220. Your wife, with doing so few miles and the extra cost of diesel wouldn't notice too much of an MPG diff plus she wouldn't get smelly hands when she fills up. Also no engine clatter, smoother ride, smoother engine, better to re-sell, more reliable etc etc...... unless of course if a few £'s a week is more important then buy the diesel.

My warranty with Warranty Direct is called secure care. It covers most every thing that should go wrong (fingers crossed). Some haggling saw him throw in some additional cover for a couple of missing items and interest free for 10 months. the clincher was the upgrade from them paying 50% of the cost of parts (if it's a wear & tear item), because my car has done over 100K, to paying 100% cost of parts (they always pay 100% of labour costs) for £50 extra.

Seems good for £370 after reading what potential problems may occur on a 220d. Costs £50 for each claim and I'm covered up to purchase price of car and unlimited claims.

Warranty Direct are excellent. Honest John from the Telegraph rates them due to having never had a letter of complaint about them. I've been with them years and have had to make a claim, it went smoothly. I'm covered in the Lexus for everything including ECU, mirrors etc. If all goes wrong I can even get it repaired at a Lexus garage. Get a quote online, wait and then they'll ring you with a better deal then the online quote.

Thanks.

I would go for the 250, far superior than the 220. Your wife, with doing so few miles and the extra cost of diesel wouldn't notice too much of an MPG diff plus she wouldn't get smelly hands when she fills up. Also no engine clatter, smoother ride, smoother engine, better to re-sell, more reliable etc etc...... unless of course if a few £'s a week is more important then buy the diesel.

And I would be worried about buying without FSH. There are so many car with this buy one of them.

[Warranty Direct are excellent. Honest John from the Telegraph rates them due to having never had a letter of complaint about them. I've been with them years and have had to make a claim, it went smoothly. I'm covered in the Lexus for everything including ECU, mirrors etc. If all goes wrong I can even get it repaired at a Lexus garage. Get a quote online, wait and then they'll ring you with a better deal then the online quote.

What level of cover did you choose? When I looked at it I asked for the same as what Lexus said they covered. Which was pretty much as new car warranty but not serviceable items, i.e. filters, discs, pads, bulbs. Warrantydirect said for the full cover its Luxury care plus and it would be £580 iirc. This was after speaking to rep and discount applied so I hung fire as the Lexus cover was just over 600 with full RAC, interest free etc. I am still trying to decide but need to soon as I read a lot of 220D issues on here! Fantastic car tho IMO and I have loved it since I had it 4 months ago.

Hi this is only my personal experiance, but i would avoid the 220d...

i have had a load of problems when i once owned one, lexus make great cars but the diesel car is crap,here is just a few of the problems i had to deal with..

1.new turbo

2.new egr valve (replaced 5 times)

3.new cat converter

4.new 5th injecter

5.new common rail

6.new gear linkage

7.new steering rack

8.new brakes (done 4 times)

I won't go on anymore as some people do have good lexus diesels on here, but the one i had was utter ******* and would never buy a lexus diesel again

the only thing i can reccomend is to get one which has a full dealer service history and is covered by a good comprehensive warranty ( because you will need it at some point) :tsktsk:

i have had a load of problems when i once owned one, lexus make great cars but the diesel car is crap,here is just a few of the problems i had to deal with..

1.new turbo

3.new cat converter

4.new 5th injecter

5.new common rail

6.new gear linkage

7.new steering rack

I won't go on anymore as some people do have good lexus diesels on here, but the one i had was utter ******* and would never buy a lexus diesel again

the only thing i can reccomend is to get one which has a full dealer service history and is covered by a good comprehensive warranty ( because you will need it at some point) :tsktsk:

Wow quite a list. Mine's been pretty good.

[Warranty Direct are excellent. Honest John from the Telegraph rates them due to having never had a letter of complaint about them. I've been with them years and have had to make a claim, it went smoothly. I'm covered in the Lexus for everything including ECU, mirrors etc. If all goes wrong I can even get it repaired at a Lexus garage. Get a quote online, wait and then they'll ring you with a better deal then the online quote.

What level of cover did you choose? When I looked at it I asked for the same as what Lexus said they covered. Which was pretty much as new car warranty but not serviceable items, i.e. filters, discs, pads, bulbs. Warrantydirect said for the full cover its Luxury care plus and it would be £580 iirc. This was after speaking to rep and discount applied so I hung fire as the Lexus cover was just over 600 with full RAC, interest free etc. I am still trying to decide but need to soon as I read a lot of 220D issues on here! Fantastic car tho IMO and I have loved it since I had it 4 months ago.

I got the luxury care, everything is included with this including electric wing mirrors etc, I also have the emissions and air-bag cover. Emissions covers the ECU, O2 sensors etc. I paid, last July, £400. This is inclusive of repair at a Lexus garage. Limit of claim is to the value of the car, about 13k at the mo, warranty includes - recovery £250 (I'm with the AA so not really needed), hotel expenses -£250, emergency travel- £250, car hire £50 a day for 7 days.

You will probably get another call with a better price and or 13 months warranty. The Lexus quote sounds a good one though!

1.new turbo

3.new cat converter

4.new 5th injecter

5.new common rail

6.new gear linkage

7.new steering rack

Impressive list :-) I always wonder how people like you get Lexus to fix those things. I'm having problems with my 220d as well, but it's hard to prove the problems I'm having. And since I can't prove it, Lexus just dismisses them, they say they couldn't find anything wrong. So, seriously, how do you get them to fix all those things?

Problems mine has:

- pulls to the right when driving

- I *think* it also pulls when breaking (meaning the breaks could have a problem)

- the consumption is way too high (they say it's because it's new, but I have 20K km by now)

- the engine makes a noise (they say they can't hear it)

- I have ice on the inside of my windshield after a cold night (they say it's normal for a car to have that, but it's the first car I have this problem with)

- Not so great radio reception, but then again it has a wire on the back window instead of a real antenna, so I guess there's not much to do about it -- I just expected better from a Lexus

- I have the impression that it slips easily (while this one is by far the most annoying issue for me, it's also very, very hard to prove this one - Lexus says it's fine, and that the slipping treshold depends on the tyres, but *they* sell their new 220d's with those tyres)

Hi to be quite frank, i had to get the financial ombidsman involved and also said i would seek legal advice on the matter as like yourself lexus denied ever having these issues,but now being a proud owner of a lexus isf im really happy now lol