Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A friend has a 400h and now keeps one of the marlin jump start boxes in the boot

There are a new range of lifepo4 batteries which while lithium can be charged using lead acid charging. These a much smaller than lead acids so maybe one or more of these may fit in the same space. Ot cheap but...

http://www.tracerpower.com/golf-batteries/golf-36-lifepo4.html

Other thing lifepo4 has a pretty flat discharge rate so you will"get" much more from than from an equiv lead acid

• 2 months later...

Boy am I glad I saw this topic. I have now read enough to turn my attention elswhere before parting with my hard earned cash.

I joined this forum never expecting to read such an issue concerning Lexus and whilst my imminent purchase for a used RX400 only ammounted to £35K I can think of better things to buy than a 35 grand question mark!!!!

My work takes me overseas for 4 weeks and I have better things to do with my time than chase around trying to jump start cars upon my return.

Phew .... am I glad I read this topic.

Ps and the fix is install a dashboard mounted solar powered Battery charger? LMAO!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Boy am I glad I saw this topic. I have now read enough to turn my attention elswhere before parting with my hard earned cash.

I joined this forum never expecting to read such an issue concerning Lexus and whilst my imminent purchase for a used RX400 only ammounted to £35K I can think of better things to buy than a 35 grand question mark!!!!

My work takes me overseas for 4 weeks and I have better things to do with my time than chase around trying to jump start cars upon my return.

Phew .... am I glad I read this topic.

Ps and the fix is install a dashboard mounted solar powered battery charger? LMAO!!!

I must admit, it was the deciding factor for me too. I so wanted an RX hybrid but I do have frequent periods where the vehicle is left in the garage for sometimes up to a month. I just couldn't live with a car that has a Battery charge problem if it isn't used. Instead I find myself looking at the Toureg and the M class.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Not sure if my Battery problems are the same as mentioned here. Within the last week, the car wouldn't start after sitting in it for 15 minutes with the radio on and the engine off. This happened again last night but I left it for 20 minutes and it started. Previously, it had been OK to do this (I spend a lot of my time waiting for children to appear from various venues!).

Been to the local Battery garage and they tested it and said it was "75%" (not sure what this means, but apparently it was OK). In fairness, they could have just put a new Battery in and charged (pun not intentional) me for it.

Regardless of the Battery test, should I just buy a new one or is this a symptom of something more complicated (and no doubt, more expensive).

TIA

Ldn

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I have read many of the problems regarding the auxillary Battery on the RX 400H when the car has been left for a long time. A solar charger seems to be the easiest solution to this. I have noticed that many people have had the lower cigarette adaptor connecting to the Battery via a fuse so it is live all the time.

Has anyone tried the solar chargers that connect directly to the OBD 2 socket? There seems to be a few on the market and as far as I can see this would be an obvious choice with no modification to the car.

Here is one link but there are lots out there http://www.csepowertech.com/cse/html/pr_automotive.php

I am thinking of getting one so any feed back would be great.

I've not seen the OBD charger you mention but the only down side is connecting it and disconnecting it from under the dash.

I know Bentley cars have the option of a solar panel charger but there again you name it as an option and for a price Bentley will fit it.

You would have thought given the known problem that Lexus would by now have taken action to overcome this problem with an approved retrofit package, have there been similar problems across the hybrid range or is it limited to the RX?

I went to the GS launch last night I should have asked if a solar charger is fitted to the new GS450H.

Hello,

I have now purchased a solar charger that plugs directly into the OBD 2 socket on my Lexus RX400. For those who do not know where this is or what it is. It is located next to the bonnet release it is a 16 pin diagnostic socket that has a connection direct to the Battery via a fuse.

The solar charger plugs directly into this quite easily, there is no crawling on the floor. Ok you may need to kneel down the first time just to see which way up the plug goes.

I am using my Lexus daily so I am testing it on my sons Audi which he has left in my drive as he is working abroad. I know that the Battery on this is not good and if left any longer than 5 days it will not start.

I took a voltage reading using a digital multimeter and then plugged the solar charger in. I have found that although it is called a solar charger it is more of a Battery maintainer, the Battery voltage has stayed the same over 24 hours.

I will continue to test it and post on here if I think it is worth buying... cost £35

I intend to use this when I leave my Lexus to go on holiday for 2 weeks next month.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I have now purchased a solar charger that plugs directly into the OBD 2 socket on my Lexus RX400. For those who do not know where this is or what it is. It is located next to the bonnet release it is a 16 pin diagnostic socket that has a connection direct to the battery via a fuse. The solar charger plugs directly into this quite easily, there is no crawling on the floor. Ok you may need to kneel down the first time just to see which way up the plug goes. I am using my Lexus daily so I am testing it on my sons Audi which he has left in my drive as he is working abroad. I know that the battery on this is not good and if left any longer than 5 days it will not start. I took a voltage reading using a digital multimeter and then plugged the solar charger in. I have found that although it is called a solar charger it is more of a battery maintainer, the battery voltage has stayed the same over 24 hours. I will continue to test it and post on here if I think it is worth buying... cost £35 I intend to use this when I leave my Lexus to go on holiday for 2 weeks next month.

John, where did you get this charger from? I would be interested in getting one too as soon to go away and the last thing I want is to come back to a flat Battery! many thanks

Putting "OBDII solar charger" into google produced loads of results, unforntunately the cheapest supplier is out of stock but the one below is a suggestion

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003IVD77Q

Thanks for this, of course the other solution is to get a charger that works off the cigarette lighter socket - providing you get it rewired to permanently "live". I think I may look at this option.

I purchased mine from here, but I see they are out of stock.

http://www.granadabatteries.co.uk/solarbatterychargers-c-154.html

I am more than pleased with it. I did speak to Granada batteries on the phone, as the one review on amazon for what looks like the same product wasn't good. They said that they have sold loads of them and haven't had any complaints

• 1 month later...

This is not a problem specific to the Highbred Lexus as I have an RX 300 I bought new in 2004 and it continuously ran the Battery down from new. I did the same as many others and took it back to the dealer who told me the Battery was good and they had no idea why it continued to run down after standing for three days. I still have the car and the problem. I tried all the obvious and even fitted a solar charger that did not work. Seem Lexus has no interest in resolving this problem and unfortunately I think every Lexus owner will have to live with it. It will no doubt affect sales but until Lexus get enough negative feedback it is unlikely to change.

What you are dealing with here goes far deeper than a flat Battery !

You are dealing with Japanese culture, and that culture makes it almost impossible for them to admit mistakes together with the associated shame and failure that goes with that.

They would far rather NEVER admit that a design mistake has been made and just keep saying "There's nothing wrong" and replacing 'faulty' parts then say "Oops our multi-million yen state of the art R&D department fecked up". For the Japanese that would mean they have to fall on their sword!

What will happen however is they will stand by their argument that nothing is wrong and then as if by magic, the next model out has addressed the (in this case small battery) issues.

The same goes with Japanese cameras and in fact all technology that comes out of that country.

You will not change their culture.

The Ed

• 1 month later...

Hi all

We have had the flat Battery problem a few times with our RX400h (2005) so I've read the topic with interest.

I've got the solar panel (which nearly all have their own diode built in for Battery discharge protection) and I've got an inline fuse holder.

All ready. But has anyone done a DIY job on making the front ciggy lighter permanently live?

I don't want to start taking the front of the car to bits if there is an easy way of getting a live wire to it.

Or I could just run a new wire from somewhere near the fuses. But is there an easy way through the bulkhead?

Thanks

The aux Battery capacity is small. All Toyota hybrids are the same, they are either saving money or weight or didn't really consider the draw of the electrical systems when the car is left.

The 400h Battery capacity is 38Ah, and if you vehicle is a few years old then you will have lost a few too. There is a Bosch S4 Battery available in the same size which has a capacity of 45Ah - this is around £55 for Euro Car Parts and others.

Not looked to see if a larger physical Battery could be fitted to increase capacity further.

• 2 months later...

The aux battery capacity is small. All Toyota hybrids are the same, they are either saving money or weight or didn't really consider the draw of the electrical systems when the car is left.

The 400h battery capacity is 38Ah, and if you vehicle is a few years old then you will have lost a few too. There is a Bosch S4 battery available in the same size which has a capacity of 45Ah - this is around £55 for Euro Car Parts and others.

Not looked to see if a larger physical battery could be fitted to increase capacity further.

Just looked at the site you state and having typed in 'bosch s4 battery' after typing reg No to let the site know what the vehicle was, 44 batteries came up none stated s4 but they all had long No's beside them.

My 07 vehicle gets delivered this Friday and I'm now just wondering if I too am going to be one of those people who experiences Battery probs.

After coming home from a months holiday to find my 2009 RX400H dead in the garage I built a trickle charger with a timer

Using an old central heating timer the trickle charger comes on once a day for an hour, it is connected via a relay so when its not charging it is disconnected from the Battery

I've fitted a socket at the front of the car near the Battery so I just plug in the charger and let it run whilst I'm away

It's not a perfect solution and clearly not suitable for car parks etc but it resolved the problem for me

• 2 months later...

Just found this Solar Battery charger that fits into the EOBD port located under the fuel cap release button.

Looks like this could solve a few problems when parked up for long periods, and also gets round the problem of the cigarette lighter not being a permanent live.

I have only had my 08 plate for a few months and not had a problem with the Battery, however it has not been sat for more than 2 days yet.

Just ordered one so I am ready for when it is left whilst away on hols.

Bargin for £30 and AA branded.

http://shop.theaa.com/store/other/aa-solar-panel-car-caravan-battery-charger

Well spotted.

We picked ours up last week after searching for a decent one for over 2 months.

A bit disheartening to now discover the 400h "Achilles Heel" for what is otherwise a great car.

Can't see ours being left for long periods, but if we do, I'll just keep my heavy duty jump pack that I use for my business in the boot.

• 2 months later...

At 5 years old my cars Battery died. The car took three attempts to start one day and a few days later wouldn't start at all. I thought I'd get a better rated silver or chrome Battery for cheaper at Halfords. Beware. The £102 chrome Battery the shelf guide said was right for an rx400 didn't fit in the gap. When I went back for a refund they did a search on the till and said that it was a custom order for the rx and would be £165. I went over the road to Lexus and they had one in stock, charged £120 fitted (Halfords were going to charge £7), and offered free car wash and coffee.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Have anyone installed physically larger and higher capacity 12V Battery in Rx400h?

Here Varta E23 70Ah is advertised as RX400h Battery although Varta Battery selector gives B31 45 Ah:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-RX-400h-211hp-03-Varta-Blue-Heavy-Duty-12v-Car-Battery-/230720750891 Does this fit?

If so, many batteries are available with width 175 mm, then most of them could fit.

Stardard Rx400h Battery width is given only 129 mm.

I ask above things as I faced the Battery problem. Previous owner had replace it 6 month ago. Car has fitted with automatic Battery charger that belongs to the preheating system.
For my work I need to have coolbox in the car. It has voltage regulator that turns it of if voltage goes too low (when keys on and aux mode). I had this system in previous car with no problem.

So mainly it's not about bad Battery but too low capacity. I went testdrive one Rx400h which had 2nd Battery installed in the cargo area, the car had remote controlled Ebersprächer fuel preheat system that consumes lot of Battery.

I went through thread but could not find information what Battery could fit instead of the normal 45 Ah Battery?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links