Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Here Varta E23 70Ah is advertised as RX400h battery although Varta battery selector gives B31 45 Ah:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-RX-400h-211hp-03-Varta-Blue-Heavy-Duty-12v-Car-Battery-/230720750891 Does this fit?

If so, many batteries are available with width 175 mm, then most of them could fit.

Stardard Rx400h battery width is given only 129 mm.

To answer myself, no it won't fit. Some mistake has happen in advertisement. I could say there is only 10-15 mm space in width, and about 10 mm in lenght and 20-35 mm in height. Really no space for anything easily available Battery option.

Have to figure out the dual Battery setup.

Edit:

Us-club site thread I found this:

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/1/1/12229-mega-tron-51r-automotive-battery-five-year-performance-500-cca-mt-51r.html

http://www.atbatt.com/interstate-mega-tron-ii-mt-51r-automotive-battery-500-cca.asp

51Ah capacity Battery that even list Rx400h as compatible model.

• 8 months later...

This battery issue is well known by the AA & the RAC. My own lexus agent has told me that there is a problem (that has been fixed on the new RX450h) the, basically speaking, allows the charging system on the car to fool itself as to the charging state/cycle of the RX400h.

I've had a new battery & the rescue services have been out 3 times due to this issue.

So far I've been unable to find a larger capacity battery to replace the Lexus original.

There isn't a fix available from Lexus, although there should be & in light of the number of stranded owners they really should be thinking about this as (from my limited feedback) it seems to be a software issue, rather than anything mechanical.

The battery itself only initalises the car's systems, the actual starting is off the Hybrid battery, hence it's small size.

I am looking into a solar charger as a stop gap, although you need to understand things like how to get a seperate feed through the car (the accessory sockets inside are both dead when the ignition is off, rulling out this way back) & the need for a blocking diode to prevent the panel itself discharging the battery. It is also fair to point out that the need for light, even a street light at night can provide a limited amount of power, & that this option may not provide a "solution" as such, more a staving off of the power drain, because..........

........ the bottom line is that the Lexus battery isn't of sufficient capacity for the car to be left parked for a couple of weeks without use to keep it charged.

If any other owners have had similar problems please add your experiences to this mail. If there are enough of us we MAY be able to persaude Lexus to develop a solution, rather than let the word spread through their dealers & the roadside services the the RX 400h has an issue that needs a fix, not a recovery truck.

A solution is, in light of the recent Toyota publicity, in everyone's mutual interest - after all, how do we know if this is an RX issue, or a general Toyota Hybrid issue that affects all but the latest generation cars?

I bought an '07 RX400h 2 years ago, have had 3 new batteries thinking it was the Battery problem. I regualrly go overseas and have to leave the car at he aiport or on the drive for anything between a week and 2 months. We also have a volvo V70 which starts no problem. The RX400h has had to be jumped every time even with a trickle-charger attached for longer periods. It's a shame - my wofe loves tha dcar, so do I but it will have to go. A simple solution would be to be able to plug a charger into the 12v socket. I have had to put it up for sale to eomeone who drives every day.

Grand Cherokee on the way.

Or just put a small 12v battery in the vehicle when you go away to use to jump it.

I haven't had a problem with my Battery but would a portable jump pack be an option ?... there are loads of really small ones out there now, some even fit in you pocket & hold a charge for 3-12mths ... > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Portable-JUMP-STARTER-Booster-Car-Battery-Charger-Mini-Power-Pack-Light-ALL-/171455730304?hash=item27eb8ed280

Gents . . . it's 2015. We're talking about a "Premium SUV" from one of the world's alleged best car makers. And I am suposed to jump-start my car like its a 1965 Ford Anglia - or ask the pvalet-parking company to jump start it so they can bring it to the airport?

No . . . they have to do better than that. Until they fix this, I have to go back to gas-guzzeling non-hybrids. I have not yet tried the new Mitsubishi which looks as good as the new Grand Cherokee. Either way, the Lexus sadly has to go. Unreliability in a £50K car is not acceptible.

• Like 2

There isn't going to be a fix, it is a vehicle that is 6 years out of production!

The current models can all typically survive 4 weeks without an issue, some standard petrol and diesel vehicles don't last longer. If you leave it more than four weeks you are advised to disconnect the Battery.

• Like 1

Or just put a small 12v battery in the vehicle when you go away to use to jump it.

I haven't had a problem with my Battery but would a portable jump pack be an option ?... there are loads of really small ones out there now, some even fit in you pocket & hold a charge for 3-12mths ... > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Portable-JUMP-STARTER-Booster-Car-Battery-Charger-Mini-Power-Pack-Light-ALL-/171455730304?hash=item27eb8ed280

I'm sure that would work. These lithium-ion Battery packs are good because they are small, lightweight and hold their charge for many months. You probably won't even need to use the start facility, just the standard 12v output. The 200A starting current isn't something that is important to a hybrid as the Battery won't be used to turn over the engine via a starter motor.

The only thing that would concern me is the non-name brand. How good is the quality of the 12v output and how well implemented is the internal Battery charging circuit - you don't want this thing to explode or catch fire.

Alternatives are the bigger jump packs, typically an air compression and boost pack all in one. These use a lead-acid Battery and so are bigger and heavier, and like a car Battery they don't like going flat so you need to keep them charged up.

• Like 1

Yes - but when you discon the Battery - even on the new ones, the computer messes up after a while - has to be rebooted. New models also die after 3-4 weeks standing. Trickle chargers work but I can't expect the airport parking guys to set that up.

In future - electric cars will be more common and facilities availble to keep them charged when standing. Meanwhile - Range Rover :-)

Yes - but when you discon the battery - even on the new ones, the computer messes up after a while - has to be rebooted. New models also die after 3-4 weeks standing. Trickle chargers work but I can't expect the airport parking guys to set that up.

In future - electric cars will be more common and facilities availble to keep them charged when standing. Meanwhile - Range Rover :-)

The most unreliable 4x4 on the market .... lol

I use a trickle charger when it's parked in my garage for weeks as mines not used much and then when I use it to go away on holiday, when left at airport I plug in my solar panel in to the obm socket under dash and have never had problem.

• Like 2

Gents . . . it's 2015. We're talking about a "Premium SUV" from one of the world's alleged best car makers. And I am suposed to jump-start my car like its a 1965 Ford Anglia - or ask the pvalet-parking company to jump start it so they can bring it to the airport?

No . . . they have to do better than that. Until they fix this, I have to go back to gas-guzzeling non-hybrids. I have not yet tried the new Mitsubishi which looks as good as the new Grand Cherokee. Either way, the Lexus sadly has to go. Unreliability in a £50K car is not acceptible.

This is why auto electricians exist. Something is drawing current when it should not be drawing current. You need to pay a man to diagnose what is, after all, a very common fault on many cars.

This is why auto electricians exist. Something is drawing current when it should not be drawing current. You need to pay a man to diagnose what is, after all, a very common fault on many cars.

This isn't a specific vehicle issue, it is part of the 400h design. Due to the fact that the hybrid doesn't need a large Battery Toyota took the decision to use a very small Battery to save weight, space and cost however the standard draw from the alarm etc. means the vehicle cannot stand for as long as other models before the Battery goes flat. The Gen II Prius suffers the same way.

• Like 1

1 - yes it's 2015. Not sure if you realised but the RX450h has been out for 6 years and a new RX is coming out this year so we aren't talking about a new car here.

2 - the 450h does not suffer from these Battery problems. I've left my car for 4 weeks every winter for the last 3 years and it starts fine.

3 - you're plucking figures out of the sky. The 400h wasn't anywhere near the region of £50k, the current RX is and its the most reliable car in its class - period - no ifs no buts, it just is. If there was a major issue, we'd know about it as Lexus sells 100k RXs annually in the US alone

• Like 1

1 - yes it's 2015. Not sure if you realised but the RX450h has been out for 6 years and a new RX is coming out this year so we aren't talking about a new car here.

2 - the 450h does not suffer from these Battery problems. I've left my car for 4 weeks every winter for the last 3 years and it starts fine.

3 - you're plucking figures out of the sky. The 400h wasn't anywhere near the region of £50k, the current RX is and its the most reliable car in its class - period - no ifs no buts, it just is. If there was a major issue, we'd know about it as Lexus sells 100k RXs annually in the US alone

An RX400h SE L cost £43,000 in 2005. With inflation, that is equivalent to £56,000 today.

An RX400h SE L cost £43,000 in 2005. With inflation, that is equivalent to £56,000 today.

Why haven't I had a 13 grand pay rise then ? ..... lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen this topic so many times and i had a similar problem. The fault was a current drain, as mentioned above. It turned out to be the pre-amplifier under the back seat. The bearing in the fan had dried out. I replaced it and have never had a problem since. Even three weeks at Heathrow!

• Like 1

I've seen this topic so many times and i had a similar problem. The fault was a current drain, as mentioned above. It turned out to be the pre-amplifier under the back seat. The bearing in the fan had dried out. I replaced it and have never had a problem since. Even three weeks at Heathrow!

Can I ask, was it a Levinson amp ?

You cant factor inflation into a cars price. An RX400H then wouldnt sell for £56k now simply because it wouldn't be able to compete with other contenders around that price. They would have to leave the price the same if they tried selling it in 2015 or reduce it

Besides, an RX400H SEL has no powertrain difference to the base model. Claiming it's a £43k car isn't fair as that includes options. It's essentially a £35k base car + added trim

You cant factor inflation into a cars price. An RX400H then wouldnt sell for £56k now simply because it wouldn't be able to compete with other contenders around that price. They would have to leave the price the same if they tried selling it in 2015 or reduce it

Besides, an RX400H SEL has no powertrain difference to the base model. Claiming it's a £43k car isn't fair as that includes options. It's essentially a £35k base car + added trim

Lord have mercy. No one is suggesting that Lexus could/would sell the Rx400h today at £56,000. The above poster stated that he thought that the reliability was unacceptable for a '£50K car.' You responded that he was 'plucking figures out of the sky.' I have shown that in fact he was not. Without taking inflation into account, any such discussion of an object's value is completely meaningless - one is not comparing like with like. Maybe this would have been a better way to phrase the original point: 'I find the reliability in a car that cost the equivalent of £56K in today's money unacceptable.'

Lord have mercy. No one is suggesting that Lexus could/would sell the Rx400h today at £56,000. The above poster stated that he thought that the reliability was unacceptable for a '£50K car.' You responded that he was 'plucking figures out of the sky.' I have shown that in fact he was not. Without taking inflation into account, any such discussion of an object's value is completely meaningless - one is not comparing like with like. Maybe this would have been a better way to phrase the original point: 'I find the reliability in a car that cost the equivalent of £56K in today's money unacceptable.'

But it didnt cost £56k, thats the whole point. The RX450H Premier costs £56k and thats a much superior vehicle.

What inflation are you referring to? NHS has frozen my pay for 7 years? Inflation works both ways, not just one!

• Like 1

It was the levinson amp. I never checked to see if they replaced it with another levinson as the dealer did it under warranty. I wonder how many of these problems were just on the SEL?

Thats exactly what I was thinking buddy, maybe this is solely a Levinson problem & hasn't been isolated as such ? ...

On a similar note, even though the Rx is very reliable, if you look at the figures (Rx all versions 03-09) it shows over 24% of all faults (the highest number) are axle & suspension faults, I strongly suspect the majority of these faults don't apply to the Rx 400 (no air suspension etc) but still include it ....

it still gets 92/100 though ... :D ... > http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/172

• 5 weeks later...

I left my Lexus RX450h for 4 days in a car park at the airport. Very embarrassing that the car every one admired wouldn't start! Superb performance is useless if the car won't start. This is the third time my car failed to start --- once after a 5 week holiday (possibly excusable); once after leaving my wife listening to the radio for an hour whilst I had a golf lesson! But this last time was not good!

The car is not 3 years old and has only completed 27,000 miles but I'm already thinking of downgrading to a Mercedes which might at least start!!

The AA sell a small solar panel that sits on the dash and plugs into the OBD socket. This trickle charges the 12V Battery, I made my own at 1/3 the cost but I've never had cause to ues it, I had the Battery checked at amy local place and they said it was OK but weak so I got a new one. I left the car in the airport carpark for a week and had no problems starting. I think I'd use the solar panel though as a precaution if I left it for longer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links