Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water From Exhaust

Gents,

After leaving work last friday, with a colleague in his own car behind me.. he told me this morning he noticed 'lots' of water shooting out of my exhaust when i put my foot down...

I know a few drops etc is the condensation.. but would there be lots of water??

Maybe he is exaggerating with the 'lots' part.. but was adament it seemed too much to be coming out of an exhaust.

is this normal? what are your thoughts?

thanks in advance for your advice.

Izzy

Gents,

After leaving work last friday, with a colleague in his own car behind me.. he told me this morning he noticed 'lots' of water shooting out of my exhaust when i put my foot down...

I know a few drops etc is the condensation.. but would there be lots of water??

Maybe he is exaggerating with the 'lots' part.. but was adament it seemed too much to be coming out of an exhaust.

is this normal? what are your thoughts?

thanks in advance for your advice.

Izzy

I notice it streams out my IS200 Sport after driving off first thing, and also noticed my IS-F left a couple of puddle runs on the garage floor when I drove it today after it was left overnight. But I wouldn't say it was 'lots' of water from either of them. Water is always produced in the system and can cause perforation by rusting from the inside, particularly on back boxes (which is one of the reasons I have a stainless steel system on the 250).

hiya,I wouldn't worry too much about it,as the others have said the engine and cat do produce a bit of water and this is just the final part of the process being burnt off,It tends to be more noticable when the engine is cold and first thing in the morning,would begin to worry if you had it all day and everyday.

Thank you guys for your responses... as always greatly appreciated :-)

Water is normaly produced, when the fuel burns. All hydrocarbons, what gasoline is in this case, once burnt become water and carbon dioxide. In mornings, when the system is still cold, water steam condensates in the system becoming water and, on the other hand, once the exhaust system becomes warm/hot, water is evaporated as gas :)

This is why your exhaust will last longer if you do long motorway trips than lots of short trips.... I take it that the coolant level hasn't dropped any?

coolant level hasnt dropped mate.

i work local so do mainly short trips.. so i guess my exhaust wont last long :-(

This is why your exhaust will last longer if you do long motorway trips than lots of short trips.... I take it that the coolant level hasn't dropped any?

coolant level hasnt dropped mate.

i work local so do mainly short trips.. so i guess my exhaust wont last long :-(

The rear box on my MGB roadster used to rust out from the inside at the forward end. Reason was the outlet pipe was tilted upwards so the condensation pooled in the front end of the box. The trick was to drill a very small hole at the bottom of the front plate to allow the excess water to run out. The MOT noted it as a minor leak, so I used to screw a self tapper in the hole before it was tested. Never had a problem with the exhaust rusting after that, just wish I could have said the same for the bodywork:lol:.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links