Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Guys - my first reach out for some advice.

Acquired 1995 LS400 - its done 162k and runs sweet.

My question is what sort of oil should I be using - synth/semi synth etc given the mileage and is there any advice on brand etc here from you experienced ones.

Also I am running the standard 16" wheels that are beginning to look a bit tired. If I change them I might go to 17" for the tyre availability but I dont want to comprimise the ride quality.

What wheel tyre combo can I run without fouling the arches etc etc.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated - especially if it relates to my questions :winky:

Hello, welcome to the LOC.

The recommended oil is 5w-30 I use fully synthetic but I've also heard the semi is OK.

I have used the Havoline brand from Morrissons since I bought the car nearly 4 years ago and have has no problems with it,5 litres is normally enough including the filter change ( I use genuine Toyota filters)

I run 17" rims with 255/40/17s rear and 245/40/17s front there is plenty of arch clearance but the ride is quite hard may be better to go for a narrower tyre width and a higher aspect ratio.

Another thing to check is the replacement wheels clear the brake calipers.

• 5 weeks later...

ok so only one dude who uses oil and wheels - Tnanks all :P

Thought Steve covered it adequetly. I use fully synthetic but the cheapest tyres at the time.

I'm just about to change the oil on mine for the first time and thinking of using either Lucas oil, Castrol or Mobil 1 but can't decide which to go for? Any suggestions? I have given my wheels in for a refurb and should get them back on Monday :) I have purchased 4 new Nankang tyres which cost me £155 approx as the cheapest option for me at the moment. Just spent a lot of money on the new Lpg system.

ok so only one dude who uses oil and wheels - Tnanks all :P

Thought Steve covered it adequetly. I use fully synthetic but the cheapest tyres at the time.

I'm just about to change the oil on mine for the first time and thinking of using either Lucas oil, Castrol or Mobil 1 but can't decide which to go for? Any suggestions? I have given my wheels in for a refurb and should get them back on Monday :) I have purchased 4 new Nankang tyres which cost me £155 approx as the cheapest option for me at the moment. Just spent a lot of money on the new Lpg system.

Join COSTCO.

A 20 litre drum of fully-synthetic Chevron 5-30 Costs about £41 (just over £2 a litre) it will do a few oil changes and you will save the COSTCO membership fee on the one purchase, compared to Mobil 1.

But if you do insist on Mobil 1 their price is very competative on that too.

John N

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips John N and Bobo. I'll be better off buying 20 litres as it's a lot cheaper in the long run, but 5 litres at £11 is v v good for Mobil 1 which is normally atleast £35 I think??

Apparently Asda are currently doing 50% off all Mobil 1 oil - 5w30 and 0w40 I believe.

5ltrs for as little as £11 :winky:

Looked in my local ASDA earlier in the week and it's back to normal price .. sad !

Malc

Apparently Asda are currently doing 50% off all Mobil 1 oil - 5w30 and 0w40 I believe.

5ltrs for as little as £11 :winky:

Looked in my local ASDA earlier in the week and it's back to normal price .. sad !

Malc

:(