Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speedo Needle

any idea why me speedo needle would be moving in jolts rather than smooth, only noticed today but its bad, it goes up in almost 10's so its says 30 but i could be going 39, then all of a sudden it jumps to 40?

please help

any idea why me speedo needle would be moving in jolts rather than smooth, only noticed today but its bad, it goes up in almost 10's so its says 30 but i could be going 39, then all of a sudden it jumps to 40?

please help

hi phil

my missus's car is doing the same at the minute , i know its not the same car but it could be the same problem , it could either be a misfire which could mean sparkplugs or coilpacks ,or the actual revmeter itself, best to go and have a diagnostic mate , have you got a loss of power ?

ok, sooo it seems the needle works fine in the morning but sticks in afternoon, could it be it because its so hot the plastic is expanding and sticking?

i doubt it phil , i was driving mine yesterday and it was 21 degrees and didnt have that problem , like i said mate go to lex birmingham and have your codes read .

yeh i will do, i thought it might be sticking as i've got the stainless steel covers on so there might not be enough room?

oh right , i didnt know that ,im not sure then phil cos i havnt fitted any of those covers , has it only been happening since you fitted them?

its just a process of elimination really.

well i only brought the car sat, and the covers were already on, needle was fine all weekend and all week, only started when weather got really hot, when im driving if i bang the dash it jumps to where it should be, and like i say, mornings and night when cold seems to be fine again

hi,had a friend who had a ford mondeo with tha same problem,had to have a new speedo put in.On a more serious not his milage was also well out - so u might also have the milage on your car showing less than its actually done.

well i only brought the car sat, and the covers were already on, needle was fine all weekend and all week, only started when weather got really hot, when im driving if i bang the dash it jumps to where it should be, and like i say, mornings and night when cold seems to be fine again

well it does seem that the heat affects it then mate , sounds more likely now after what you have explained , i guess the next port of call is taking out the covers although im not sure if they stick on and might leave some residue ,give it a bash mate , there are tutorials on here on how to take out the instrument cluster which by all accounts is fairly easy , again i have not done this myself though .YET :huh: