Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Want An Is200 - What Should I Consider

Hi guys and gals,

Lovely forum you have yourselves here - huge wealth of knowledge to sort through!

I will be very soon on the lookout for an IS200 - with around £3500 to spend, stretching to £4000 for the right car - but what do I need to look out for?

Do these cars suffer from any problems that are costly to fix? I know about the dodgy CD player and the necessity of a cam-belt change, but what else is common?

Also - there are a lot of examples with over 100k miles on them.. is that a lot for these cars or will you really be better finding a lower mileage model?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions in my first post here, but I am really excited to get into another Lexus!

Cheers

Lee

Well mines got 161 thousand on it and only problems I;ve had for 6 months are a coil pack go.

I do need to sort out my brakes but that cause I hammer them :)

My car still drives like new and feel so well built it unreal no knocks, rattles or bangs :)

Well mines got 161 thousand on it and only problems I;ve had for 6 months are a coil pack go.

I do need to sort out my brakes but that cause I hammer them :)

My car still drives like new and feel so well built it unreal no knocks, rattles or bangs :)

Ahh thats pretty good to know. These cars are fantastic value for money - so I think for the money I want to spend I will get a corker.

Anything I really need to look out for though? I'm from a skyline / mx5 background and know the common faults inside out - but even with having a browse i'm coming up short finding some for the IS!

Wow - well in that case I am sold!

Plenty of options around the 100k mark for good money - so I'm spoilt for choice!

Also - last question (for now!), is the beams engine significantly better than the std lexus unit?

Wow - well in that case I am sold!

Plenty of options around the 100k mark for good money - so I'm spoilt for choice!

Also - last question (for now!), is the beams engine significantly better than the std lexus unit?

well if your looking at one with a beams engine then its not a lexus its a toyota altezza (an import).....slightly more power but doesn't come with the toys the lex does ie leather/half leather heated seats and electric seats etc.....

ive had 2 Is's - my first i took up to 137,000 and i can honestly say - its drives just as superb as the one i have now with half that milage. just make sure its got some service history and you'll be fine.

best of luck with your search ! :)

• 8 months later...

Well guys and gals, after months of searching I found the one I want and it is now sat on the drive.

It's a really nice IS200 SE navigator, in the most gorgeous blue with all the usual SE toys. Got 120k ish on the clock and a full service history with recent major service and cambelt change. 12 month MOT and 6 month tax included. The best part is that it only cost me £2000!

So far, I have only bought a grom unit and a proclip for my Iphone as the usual cd err is present, but I absolutely love it to bits.

First car I have ever had, and I have had a few, that I don't want to go crazy with the mods on.

Now I can officially stop lurking :)

:)

Well guys and gals, after months of searching I found the one I want and it is now sat on the drive.

It's a really nice IS200 SE navigator, in the most gorgeous blue with all the usual SE toys. Got 120k ish on the clock and a full service history with recent major service and cambelt change. 12 month MOT and 6 month tax included. The best part is that it only cost me £2000!

So far, I have only bought a grom unit and a proclip for my iPhone as the usual cd err is present, but I absolutely love it to bits.

First car I have ever had, and I have had a few, that I don't want to go crazy with the mods on.

Well done on your new purchase :)

So far, I have only bought a grom unit and a proclip for my iPhone as the usual cd err is present, but I absolutely love it to bits.

You lucky begger I crashed my Lexus in mid Jan and still waiting for the insurance to be sorted. I have been looking for a few weeks now and can't find many that match my old one.

Oh and fairley sturdy when they land on the roof but not recommend.

Rob

Welcome and well done ;I'm sure you will be well suited with your purchase , rear wheel drive but otherwise quite different from a MX5 . I like them both 'so I,ve got one of each :lol:

Ahh nice one, if I could have kept my old 5 I would have as it was mint. I just can't afford to run two cars at the moment so the Lexus won out :)

Oh and fairley sturdy when they land on the roof but not recommend.

Good to know... I think :lol:

well if your looking at one with a beams engine then its not a lexus its a toyota altezza (an import).....slightly more power but doesn't come with the toys the lex does ie leather/half leather heated seats and electric seats etc.....

Both the 1GFE & 3SGE are called "BEAMS" engines in the Altezza. The "L" Editions have half leather etc.

I was about to say have a look for a Altezza RS200. 50hp more out of the box is well worth it.