Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

hi all, i have a 92 ls400 and just made it home tonight with headlights like candles and the Battery reads 8.5 volts i think if the car didnt have an oversize Battery it would have stalled out. So looks like if off work tommorrow not good as i wont get paid.

Now just a couple of questions, i know the Battery hasnt been good for a while (it has a dead cell) now is there a cut off point where the alternator says thats it ive had enough and refuses to charge, for example if the Battery has got worse as i am getting no charge but havent a spare Battery to try.

Or is it most likely the alternator has failed in some fashion and needs replacing ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


My '98 LS400 did this too. Eventually, after no end of warning lights appearing, the engine stalled and that was it.

I placed my meter on the Battery and it read 8.7v, I jump started the car and it read even less. I considered this to be a knackered alternator, changed it amd all has been fine since.

IMO, your alternator is shot and needs replacing.

Thanks

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi all, i have a 92 ls400 and just made it home tonight with headlights like candles and the battery reads 8.5 volts i think if the car didnt have an oversize battery it would have stalled out. So looks like if off work tommorrow not good as i wont get paid.

Now just a couple of questions, i know the battery hasnt been good for a while (it has a dead cell) now is there a cut off point where the alternator says thats it ive had enough and refuses to charge, for example if the battery has got worse as i am getting no charge but havent a spare battery to try.

Or is it most likely the alternator has failed in some fashion and needs replacing ?

Kinda sounds like the alternator, if the engine was running but your voltage was low, but check its not a bad connection / earth before getting a replacement alternator. Sounds like you need a good auto electrician

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi all, i have a 92 ls400 and just made it home tonight with headlights like candles and the battery reads 8.5 volts i think if the car didnt have an oversize battery it would have stalled out. So looks like if off work tommorrow not good as i wont get paid.

Now just a couple of questions, i know the battery hasnt been good for a while (it has a dead cell) now is there a cut off point where the alternator says thats it ive had enough and refuses to charge, for example if the battery has got worse as i am getting no charge but havent a spare battery to try.

Or is it most likely the alternator has failed in some fashion and needs replacing ?

Kinda sounds like the alternator, if the engine was running but your voltage was low, but check its not a bad connection / earth before getting a replacement alternator. Sounds like you need a good auto electrician

Check your alternator output with the headlights and heated rear window on.

Put voltmeter across Battery terminals and increase revs to say 1500rpm, if voltmeter reads

13volts or more the alt. is OK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ok, today i took the car to a friends pit and stripped out the alternator only to find it soaked in pas fluid so i cleaned it up and then took off the rectifier to get to the brushes and the brushes were shot and the copper had worn off the shaft so i then took the pas pump off to see why it leaked and then bought a seal kit and rebuilt it. pas seems ok now and dry, managed to source a refurb alternator and fitted everythink and it seems to be charging but i now have a whine which i think maybe i overtightened the tensioner pully bolt or its the alternator i will look tomorrow.

Also the alternator doesnt seem to charge at idle only when reving slightly i think this could be the duff Battery so im going to get a new one tommorrow as the standing voltage is only 10v.

Sorry about the lack of punctuation but im really tired, if anyone has any suggestions on any of the above i would be glad to hear them thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


all sorted now, new Battery as well as the above and all is good also the noise was from the alternator pully because it was rusty its worn off now and the noise has gone.

My old alternator has been sent away to be refurbished so i will soon have a spare if it goes again.

Please let this serve as a warning to others if you have a leaking pas fix it because the result of not doing so is very expensive and finding a good alternator at a fair price localy was very hard, its fairly easy to remove the alternator but the pas whas a complete runt to get out and even worse to rebuild, the cause of all this was the pulley bearing in the pas went which took out the oil seal and dumped the whole of the reservoir into the alternatot and destroyed the brushes and then the shaft as the springs were rubbing on it, all of this caused the alternator to charge intermitently and high volts causing the destruction of the Battery over time.

Thanks for your advice and i hope this helps others

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership