Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1997 Gs300 Stereo Problem..

Just wondering if someone can help.. After trying to attempt the tape hack to allow for an aux input (wiring to each leg of the capacitors inside stereo) i must have shorted something as when i tested the stereo afterwards none of the fascia buttons would work. All volume , bass, treble etc work but i can no longer search, change station or even select tape, cd or band. The radio is stuck on one channel. Even after re soldering the capacitors back in the radio is still knackered.

Also if i have wrecked the stereo i was thinking of replacing it with a modern head unit to allow for ipod etc. If this is the case has anyone got a tutorial for connections etc for the new install. Cheers..

The tape hack: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics/386679-tape-hack-aux-input.html

• 3 weeks later...

What did you connect into with the jack? The link is for the SC stereo, which is a different head unit so no idea how similar they are. Maybe you have discnnected the wrong capacitors? Have you reconnected them as they originally were connected to see if it fixes things?

• 3 weeks later...

What did you connect into with the jack? The link is for the SC stereo, which is a different head unit so no idea how similar they are. Maybe you have discnnected the wrong capacitors? Have you reconnected them as they originally were connected to see if it fixes things?

Thanks for the reply and apologise for the delay... The radio is out of a 97 Sport, and you are right the stereo is slightly different. The capacitors seem to be in the same location though side by side as the sc. Was a stab in the dark to be honest. I am going to try fit a clarion ddin in its place. I resoldered the capacitors back in place but nothing changed.

The Clarion has CeNet so i can buy an adapter for the ipod even though the unit is quite old it was free!! Not too sure how far i have to go in the way of adapting the original wiring though. Have not come across a clear cut way of doing this on any forum thread. Have aquired wiring diagrams which are helpful but have read people run into problems with the antenna etc. If there is a aftermarket install guide that i have missed i would appreciate some direction.. Cheers

There aren't any guides that I know of.

I cut the original plugs off and replaced them with ISO connectors. This helped with the install of my Sony head unit and also helped when I fitted the Parrot handsfree kit which has ISO connectors also.

I also cut off the plugs and removed the amp, and bypassed the wiring so that I could use the factory wiring for the speakers.

As far as the antenna is concerned, I didn't have any issues. With the factory headunit, there is an extra feed to the antenna to extend/retract it slightly depending on frequency/band in use on the radio. As long as you hook that beed up to the main antenna feed, the antenna will fully extend. The wiring diagrams you have should help with identifying what is what.

Again,thanks for the quick reply. I have started by removing the old stereo so just plugs are left but when i switch the ignition on the arial still extends? I assume this is because the amp is powered through the ignition and that feeds it? Havn't really had a good look at the amp yet but i assume i just cant pick the speaker cables up at the head unit! Will be more clear when i can dedicate more time to it juggling work, kids etc. Being an electrician doesnt help much either, car wiring is a different ballgame... Basics still apply i expect but thanks for all your help, will keep you updated, cheers.

There aren't any speaker cables as such at the headunit. They are low level feeds to the amp, which then supplies the high power outputs to the speakers and the sub woofer on the rear shelf. By bypassing the amp, I fed the speakers out through the headunit low level feeds and then just bridged them straight across to the high power speaker cables by the amp. I removed the amp and sub and have a vibe active sub in the boot. I don't have access to my wiring diagrams at the moment but I would guess the antenna main power feed could come via the amp. From what I remember, the amp has it's own heavy ampage fused feed, with just a low power "switch on" feed from the head unit.

Sorted the Clarion. Removed amp and changer and just bridged the speaker cables. Couldnt find a perminent live though behind the radio so had to splice into the hazard lights live (may have to upgrade fuse?).. Works fine though and aerial still comes up/down with ignition. Only thing is the sub is not connected due to me removing the amp. Sound is good anyway and i could always throw an aux cable to the back if needed i suppose. Just to buy the fascia( instrument panel) now from toyota (have to order one from Liverpool/Bootle shop).

Stereo actually fits the original mounts and i'm expecting to have to play round a bit with the fascia but least i have everything working.

Cheers with all the advice anyway.